what smallblock (with freedoms)

-

Daz570

Thread Inturpreter
Reaction score
theres a class running in australia atm i'm considering having a play with,

there is no minimum weight for vehicles pre 1986, where any car after, with a 4 to 6 litre engine has to be over 1455kg, (think i can get under 1200)

the block must be a production block from the same manufacturer up to 6 litres, which allows;

5.7 hemi
and the 6.1 hemi might just scrape in as it's only marginal cc

forced induction is allowed, but is calculated in a way that only the 215 hemi can be used, and a restrictor plate of 36mm must be fitted to the intake for a single turbo or 27mm for a twin system

INTERNALS ARE FREE!!!

what would you use as a starting point? I'm thinking between 340 and 360?

C'mon chaps,

what i'm trying to ask is your thoughts between the 340 and the 360 really, for an engine that will rev to 7k, is the bore and stroke of the 340 worth all the hype?

I have one of each block in storage, the extra cubes and low down of a 360sounds good, but the 340's track record still sits high with me,

oh, heads are free too..

thanks,

No offense, but what does this car have to do? I have no clue what "atm" is...lol. Other than a machine that dispenses cash...:D

sorry, at the moment

the class is improved production,

circuits like

symmonds plains
http://www.nmd.com.au/nmd/news/racetrack/symmonsplainsraceway

http://www.sandown.net.au/

http://www.wintonmotorraceway.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27

over these circuits alone theres quite a bit of low down required, but the long revs like the back straight of symmonds poses an issue as i know top end cars that runnout to 6800 there too. kind of an all rounder. the revs of the 340 are good, but that little bit extra twist of the 360 might be nice too, and the 5.7 hemi really hasn't been played with enough yet, but could be a great starting point??

TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!

Dan.

If you need the low-end then the 360 would definitely be a good choice what with its longer stroke. However if you can find one a 6.1 Hemi would hands-down be the most potent "small-block" to use. You could push 500-550 horse easy, N/A to boot. Only thing would be price, as they might not be very plentiful in your part of the world and they're still pretty darn expensive over here (the 6.1, not the 5.7L).

Does the motor have to stay at 6ltrs or just a 6 ltr block? Any thing goes with the crank? 408+ with some W5s ought to get the job done.

Knighty!

Where in aus are you located?
Im from aus as well,sounds interesting as!

What car are you thinking of entering!???

Does it have to be a small block? A 383 with a 3.125" stroke (3.375" stock) and a .030" overbore (4.25" stock) comes in at 360 cubes. Must work pretty well since it only took 3 or 4 races for NASCAR to ban the destroked Hemis when the displacement limit was dropped to 366 inches so Chebbies would have a chance.

unfortunately, smallblock is all that was sold here, unless theres some way to graft in a 361 or similar from a dodge truck? probably doubtfull

the catch is, the block has to be an australian production block

If you've got the cash go new (5.7/6.1) Hemi for sure... I'm too lazy to list all the advantages right now but your money couldn't be spent on a better engine for the size. Going with an LA/Magnum small-block for any reason besides $$$ is almost a waste in comparison...

-
Back