What steering box is everyone using??

-
The ease with which you can turn the steering wheel from a stop is greatly determined by the width of the front tires and also by how well they are inflated. The more narrow the tire the easier it is to turn the steering. The more tire pressure you have the easier it turns. So if have wide front tires it's best to get a steering box (manual or power) that can easily overcome the initial turning traction.
One person may be having good results with a certain steering box but the reason may be that he/she has very narrow tires that are inflated well.!! Another person with wide underinflated front tires may be having problems with a particular steering box, but it may not be the steering box's fault!!

PS - Good alignment also helps!!

treblig

I've installed a couple of Borgeson units, each one had an issue, be it leaks, needing shimming or Pitman fitment. Never had an issue with Firm Feel units! I like the stage 2.

150 Boxes sold with very few issues. I've had all the boxes out there and the Borgeson although not cheap has light years better feel than any factory box.

I just finished a Steer and Gear install with new column and wheel. Night and day difference. I'd prefer it be a bit firmer in feel, but still happy.

Flaming River manual box, 16:1. Lighter than the power steering options. More header clearance. No belts or pulleys. And I run mine with 275/35/18's on the front and can still turn. Gets a little entertaining if I have to parallel park, but anything above 5mph is no big deal.

More header clearance. Is this box physically smaller? What gives you the extra clearance because I need it.

I got the Flaming River manual 16:1 box.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 233
More header clearance. Is this box physically smaller? What gives you the extra clearance because I need it.

Physically smaller than a power steering box yes, by a lot. Its about the same size as a stock manual steering box though.

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame] :toothy1:

a few more fitment issues with the Borgeson box other then just the pitman arm it seems.. the idea for the box seems to be a good one. was actually thinking of trying one in jamies dart. too much poor feedback to risk spending that amount of money and being stuck with a paper weight that i can get no help with if it is off like some seem to be.

check out page two if this thread. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8128289&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Flaming river manual box is actually fatter than a stock manual box. Dont buy one thinking you will gain room or lose weight over a factory manual.

Firm Feel Stage III

Some of the best spent money on the car!

HUUUUGE improvement!!! Like a whole different car!

(225/70R14)

Firm feel #3

Firm Feel Stage III

Some of the best spent money on the car!

HUUUUGE improvement!!! Like a whole different car!

thats the way i'm leaning when the time comes (maybe next year). wish there was better news about the Borgeson box because it sounds like it could be a great option if it was built right.

It hurt the wallet, but don't be cheap and buy a parts store remanned box like I did. I sent it to FF as a core, if that tells you anything.It steered like crap and was so sloppy my alignment guy thought it was the worn out original. Save up and do it right the first time, it's actually cheaper in the end.

Rebuilt my factory manual box with new seals, bearings and Mopar lower ratio gear that I got for a steal. Pretty skinny tires, seems easy enough to me to turn but the lady didn't enjoy it much especially with the smaller Grant wheel :p

I like it though, and I want to say that doing it myself I spent less than $200, just had to hunt around for the bearings a bit.

-
Back