What stops you from moving to another state ??

-
New Hampshire native, in the Corp was stationed at Camp Pendleton. Even in the early 80's could see how different is was from NH. Being in aviation moved around a lot. Maryland, Georgia, Louisianan, now in Arkansas. I and the wife, who is Canadian, really like Arkansas, reminds us of up north, mountains, woods, guns, twisty roads, except the harsh winters. Summers are good, without it being to bad during the summer. 4 seasons without the extream. They do tax income at state level, but auto insurance, registration and property taxes not bad. And no, I do not play the Banjo!

I can see how family would keep people tethered to their locale. Most of my family members are gone.
I do not like cold weather. I don't like it hot either. I have In Laws in Arizona but ther just isn'tenough grass and green there unless you live on a golf course.

Yes, plenty of grass in Arkansas, your able to smoke it now! Medically of course.

I like the mountains of Western NC, where I live....so I doubt I would ever move anywhere else except for maybe East TN. The fact that we don't have tornados here, slightly outweighs the politics of all the peter puffers, carpet munchers, and otherwise libtards that have moved into Asheville during the last few decades. Taxes are a fraction of what I hear folks from NJ complain about. I live far enough out in the county to where it's peaceful, and I avoid town like the plague. I guess I'll stay a few more days.

2012 I retired from the post office. By spring 2013 I had my house for sale. I sold the house and was headed south to Florida. I live in Cincinnati now. My wife and I bought a mobile home here and had every intention of snow birding. We found a house in Port Orange FL and was 2 weeks from closing when my daughter showed up at my door with my grand daughter and a suitcase. I knew my daughter had some issues, I didn't know they were that bad. I delayed the closing and glad I did. My daughter wound up in prison and now I'm raising my grand daughter. There wasn't enough room in that mobile, so I bought another house here and started over again.
I'm not at all mad about the way things turned out, and I'm glad I was still here to help. God knows what would have happened if we would have been gone.

Started in Illinois moved to Cali. I loved it there. Your able to find anything you want and without waiting long to find it.
Moved to Idaho for a few years and I really loved it there. Beautiful place. I was up in Coeur d alene and the area. I have a small amount of family there and almost moved to Spokane Washington after I went back to Illinois without a whole lot of choice. You can't walk in the snow or rain with out a million ppl pulling over to ask if you need a ride. It's true alot and I mean a whole lot of Cali peeps move there. After paying off an average lower end house in Cali then selling it gives you quite a bit spending power in Idaho. 100k house in Idaho is worth 200-300k in Cali.
My mom lives in Colorado tho and weed is legal here. Really chill laid back area. I'm in a desert area. Rarely get snow but we usually get a foot or two every year. Not much work tho but hey I don't mind really. I'm self employed and make enough to get by. It pays to know what your doing
Illinois sucks and is corrupt as the devil himself.
Montana has good paying jobs depending on where u are but is mostly pretty barren from what I've seen.
North Dakota depending on where you are can meet you a great paying job if you can find a place to stay. But is super barren and even windier. I wouldn't live there but u do go and put work in out there occasionally.

I was active duty in the Air Force for 21 years moving a lot, then moving some more after retiring from the Air Force. We lived in Kansas, the United Kingdom, Texas, Idaho, Arkansas, Connecticut, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, and back to Georgia.

I loved seeing different parts of the country and different customs and people. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and my wife is originally from Arkansas. We decided to move back to Georgia when I was laid off from my job in Virginia. In a way, it was difficult to leave Virginia. We owned a house 4 miles from the Virginia Beach oceanfront and I loved taking my car down the strip on the weekends. Of course, there was plenty of eye candy there too!! What finally decided it for us was the crime and the city of Virginia Beach. Crime was off the chart high and the city of Virginia Beach itself is not a very attractive place. We moved without having a job...just around two years worth of living expenses in our checking account.

We love the hills, trees, lakes, and people here in north Georgia and we are ready to settle and stay put for the rest of our lives!!

Lots of prayer went into our decision to move back and it turned out to be a great decision. I've never been afraid to put it all out there and take chances and I've never regretted any of my decisions. There were some that didn't go as planned, but I learned from each one.

Go for it!!!!!

Family

I wouldn't move out of state but I would move to northern mn. I'd sell my camper for a ice castle fish house.

hero.jpg

interior%203.jpg

Last edited:
Born in central North Carolina. Have lived in Marina del Ray, California a couple of years in late 70s. Have visited 48 states and a lot of Canada. We have a beautiful country and there are many places I could live, especially Texas. I will stay in North Carolina, my home has been paid for several years now and retired last year. Have no desire to start over now.
Most importantly though, my granddaughter is here and my son-in-law and daughter have no plans of leaving here.
I like calling North Carolina home!

I understand that people are moving to the urban areas of Colorado from California to get away. Then they try to change it into what they just left.
seems to be that way everywhere. i noticed the same thing in the charlotte and clayton areas of nc.

If I could move my established farm and equipment I would choose Tennessee. I see alot of comments about people moving to get away from the city but trying to change the new place to what they had. So very true I see people move from the city out next to a farm then try to write laws to stop the smell from the cows.

I live in the Mitten, have all my life!! We have everything here, jobs, 4 seasons, cars and car culture galore, I don't know where I would move if I could!! I'm not one to sit on a beach doing nothing, so that's no draw for me, big shops with lifts would suit me just fine!! Plus, I have a lot of mittens to keep me warm, and a handy map right with me when I need it, I'd say I'm good!!

After reading all of this I may just stay put. I have everything I need here but as I get older it seems to get colder. So if I can work on that problem maybe this is where I will stay.

A old man who had homes in several states and 2 countries once said "There is no perfect place to live,all have pluses and minuses."

New England born & raised, have lived most of my adult life in New Hampshire. It's home, I have no intention of leaving. Taxes are bearable, lower than other northeastern states, even the politics seem to be fairly centrist and avoid the left and right extremes. Relatively low crime.

In my 20s & 30s I had a job which entailed a lot of U.S. & some Canadian travel, including some 4-6 month assignments, so I have had a chance to experience other parts of the country. Some I liked (mid and inter-mountain west), others not so much (Dixie, much of California) all were an experience I value, but none felt like home.

I'm retired now, have every intention of living out the rest of my years right here, driving my Dart and just enjoying our 4 seasons.

might I add, Texas is BIG, and to me is like 4 different states in ONE! different weather, people, ustoms, economics etc...

when i was 31( o k so that was 48 yrs ago!!)... I quit mt pretty ggod job in SW Ga, sold my place, loaded my horses, and moved to Missouri. some $$, no job, never reqretted doing what I felt was best for me and family. lived there 35 years. I have seen 80% of the U.S. ... maybe NO place is perfect. but everyplace has many good things to o ffer. OK so maybe take Cali off that lit!!! ha

one bit of advice. when a person moves to a different state, best to learn from the locals, rather than trying to change them and tell them what a bunch of "dumbasses" thy are!! ha

Well since the wife and I have decided to split, and I gave her everything. I bought myself a shack in the Philly hood.Sheriff sale. Needs a little fixen Up. Windows doors, plumping, roof. Etc.
Close to everything. Lots of on the street free entertainment, shootings, fights what not.
Just a place to sit back and enjoy the last of my golden days.

I hear a lot of echoing about people from other states moving to new states , then trying to make it politically the same as what they left .
I do believe that is a problem !!
A problem that makes me want to move !!
Washington has become a poster child for ignorance of the free lunch agenda !!!
It was not always that way here !!
If anything makes me want to pack up it is this !!!!!
I feel blessed by far for where I live !!
Beauty beyond , low crime rate ,
Work , mild climate , not much for gnarley critters , drive an hour or so in any direction you are in what seems like a different world!
We have every region !!
Then I look and listen to the morons who want to change everything !!
Oh wait ok .
What stops me from moving .
Work and being established .
I already said that before .

Grew up in Orlando FL, family is from SD, Stuck in Md for decades with all the arrogance that truly stupid people can muster. Moved to SC, life on the lake is Great! People, traffic Great! Cars are Great! Make sure your wife will be happy.

Last edited:
I always wanted to move when I retired. But Since I'm the only one that still lived around my family, It fell on me to take care of my Dad till he died 2010, My Mom died 2014, My sister til she died 2011, My invalid cousin who I was the only one left to take care of her, who lived in diapers and never progressed mentally past 18 months age until she died at age 60 in 2012. Now my wife is going through the same with her Mom right now. Yeah you can plan all you want, but plans have a way of changing YOU! Now at age so to be 62, I don't have the will to move. Anybody interested in a one acre lot in Nantahala acres in the mountains in N.C.? I bought it in 1979. I'll sell it to you and you can add it to your plans. The lucky ones are the siblings that move away early in life.

-
Back