What the heck!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have removed my oil pan because of a leak between the engine block and transmission. I have already replaced the rear main seal and was going to install the oil pan but something doesn't look right. The pan gasket isn't long enough to make it all the way to the pan seal. Also the seal seems like it is to long. In the picture I have one side right where it needs to be and as you see on the other side it sticks up a mile. When I installed the pan last time I don't recall it being obnoxious as this is!!!

The pan is Milodon and also the gaskets. The rear seal has the chrysler emblem on it.

Any help would be appreciated!

DSC02630.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

DSC02632.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

wow never seen that before maybe its the pan that is bent or somthing

I would match it to a stock oil pan and see who is to blame for the bad fit.
Looks like it's at lest a 3/8 to long and the last picture it's not even close.
Not good at all, I hope someone can get this figured out.

Here is the same seal installed on my main cap in which the cap is installed on the car now waiting for the oil pan to come visit. lol

The seal fits the cap just perfectly so I believe something is screwy with the oil pan. That pan was bought brand new from Mancinis last year. I torqued the bolts to 15 ft lbs.

DSC02628.jpg

Beats me. Wrong seal ? Should there be that much extra length in seal for crush ? I dont think so.

I would match it to a stock oil pan and see who is to blame for the bad fit.
Looks like it's at lest a 3/8 to long and the last picture it's not even close.
Not good at all, I hope someone can get this figured out.

Good call Mike. Now let me thing who has a 360 oil pan.

My neighbor was over visiting when I took the gaskets out of the package and laid them on the oil pan with the seal. I said "WTF!" My neighbor said "Well you found where it was leaking!"

You might want to check your facts before you blabber your mouth. I said help not smart *** comments.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/milodon.html

"These Milodon oil pans are stock replacements for factory oil pans, and are perfect for restoration projects. They're also perfect for engines that are not intended for racing and just need a new stock-style pan. These AMERICAN-MADE pans offer an excellent fit, and flat, un-warped pan rails, unlike imported pans. They feature internal baffling to keep oil in the sump and free up additional horsepower."
$129.95
MIL30755

Maybe I should buy a China made pan.

You know, I had similar issues with the pan gasket on my 360 with a stock style Milodon pan. So I popped for the expensive silicone 1-piece pan gasket and it still leaks. I hate leaks! So I will be watching this thread closely, hopefully someone knows how to seal one of these up.

Mully did you try putting the pan up in place to see if it fits the engine correctly? That'll tell you if it's a pan issue or gasket issue. Also did you try flipping the gasket over end to end? They look very similar but fit correctly only one way. The front end is a little shorter if I remember right. I think that's the same oil pan set I bought for my new engine I'm building. Tomorrow I'll pull things out and have a look see if it fits right and check back.

You know, I had similar issues with the pan gasket on my 360 with a stock style Milodon pan. So I popped for the expensive silicone 1-piece pan gasket and it still leaks. I hate leaks! So I will be watching this thread closely, hopefully someone knows how to seal one of these up.

The only one piece gaskets I've seen (SCE and Mopar) only fit a magnum pan. They look real close on an LA pan but they'll leak. Summit and Jegs had them listed as fitting LA engines a while back but they were wrong and now have it corrected.

at the risk of sounding stoopid......take the rail gaskets and switch them to opposite ends of the pan.....the end you are showing us in the pic goes to the front,the rubber part is designed to be crushed tight when installed but use a lil' dab of rtv where the rubber meet's the gasket in the corners.the 360 engine has a diffrent main cap than 273-340 but the timing cover end is the same as 273-340 and that is why the side pan gaskets don't go that way...hope this is helpful......I just reread.....fishy's right on the money

Mully did you try putting the pan up in place to see if it fits the engine correctly? That'll tell you if it's a pan issue or gasket issue. Also did you try flipping the gasket over end to end? They look very similar but fit correctly only one way. The front end is a little shorter if I remember right. I think that's the same oil pan set I bought for my new engine I'm building. Tomorrow I'll pull things out and have a look see if it fits right and check back.

No I didn't. I was thinking it was more of the gasket and seal problem at the time.

I flipped the rail gasket end to end but didn't try the other gasket that is still in the package.... I thought both are the same anyways.

The pan fit nicely when I first mounted it to the engine last year. I mean there was nothing that set off the alarms like is going on right now. The pan does not look bent or anything. If it was bent I don't see how it would affect the problem where the rail gasket isnt long enough to reach the pan seal.

at the risk of sounding stoopid......take the rail gaskets and switch them to opposite ends of the pan.....the end you are showing us in the pic goes to the front,the rubber part is designed to be crushed tight when installed but use a lil' dab of rtv where the rubber meet's the gasket in the corners.the 360 engine has a diffrent main cap than 273-340 but the timing cover end is the same as 273-340 and that is why the side pan gaskets don't go that way...hope this is helpful......I just reread.....fishy's right on the money

I bet that is the problem..... I bet I have 273-340 pan rail gaskets mixed wrongly with 360 front and rear pan seals.

I won't have much time to work with it until this weekend.

Hey, i checked my new pan to. its milodon deep 360 pan. also from mancini.

i have gaskets from kometic (ultra seal) i took some pictures ans see what i found!, i think i am going to cut it shorter, maybe they made the curve in the pan smaller to get more press for better seal??? if we cut it down to right length and use rtv inn the surrounding area we will get it sealed... why is there allways 2 gaskets for the timing cover side??? maybe the kit covers the 273 -340 mains to?

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Hey, i checked my new pan to. its milodon deep 360 pan. also from mancini.

i have gaskets from kometic (ultra seal) i took some pictures ans see what i found!, i think i am going to cut it shorter, maybe they made the curve in the pan smaller to get more press for better seal??? if we cut it down to right length and use rtv inn the surrounding area we will get it sealed... why is there allways 2 gaskets for the timing cover side??? maybe the kit covers the 273 -340 mains to?

Thanks Norway.... I was wondering what mine would look like with the main cap like you have it but mine is bolted to the car. Maybe your post will give everyone something to look at and figure this out.

That still looks like a dang long way to pull the pan down to me.
I suppose it works though. Maybe the secret to their crush proof gaskets is hidden in the shape of the pan. LOL

Sucks that your having the oil pan problems, I bought one from Mancini at Monster Mopar last weekend. Haven't tried putting it on anything yet, hope I don't run into the same problem

Mullin, I think there is an earier 360LA gasket choice for the end seals. Magnum is different on stock stuff IIRC and the Milodon stuff is gear for the earlier one.

Norway... I think you have the 360 pan with a 340 block there.. But I could be wrong...

Milodon has a problem. At $100+ for the pan it should fit perfectly and not have a leak issue.

The gap you are showing is WWWAAAAAYYYY too much. The Rubber should be MAYBE 1/8" longer than the pan. Not 1/2". This looks like a 318 pan trying to fit on a 360.

Get Mancini to replace it with a pan that fits. They may not even know there's a problem.

fastmopar

mmm no, its the main from a 74 360 block :) 340 block is no more hope for.. it will be burried in our living room with a glass plate on :)

Ok enough of the debate......nuthing wrong with your pan mullinax,or the end rubber seal,gaskets for pan rail turn them around the right way....mancini racing pan's are awesome and while my batteries for my camera recharge from all the pic's I just snapped of all the gaskets and seal and rear main seal and a stock 360 oil pan......just to prove a point mind you I have better thing's to do but it seem's this needs attention to save milodon and mancini's tech line from ringing off the wall so...everybody settle down while the batteries charge and I will post pic's in a lil' while and the mystery will be solved.....Dr Wagg's....:grommit:

That still looks like a dang long way to pull the pan down to me.
I suppose it works though. Maybe the secret to their crush proof gaskets is hidden in the shape of the pan. LOL

It is a long way. There is definetiy something not right about this situation.

Mullin, I think there is an earier 360LA gasket choice for the end seals. Magnum is different on stock stuff IIRC and the Milodon stuff is gear for the earlier one.

Norway... I think you have the 360 pan with a 340 block there.. But I could be wrong...

My motor is a 78 model and Norway's is a 74. Moper if you know what I need to ask for please let me know. I would much rather switch seals than pans. The seal fits the bearing cap without any problems (see picture) but I'm afraid it's going to end up being the pan.

Milodon has a problem. At $100+ for the pan it should fit perfectly and not have a leak issue.

The gap you are showing is WWWAAAAAYYYY too much. The Rubber should be MAYBE 1/8" longer than the pan. Not 1/2". This looks like a 318 pan trying to fit on a 360.

Get Mancini to replace it with a pan that fits. They may not even know there's a problem.

fastmopar

I'm going to contact them (Milodon and Mancini) when I get time..... just havn't had time to do it during the day.

mmm no, its the main from a 74 360 block :) 340 block is no more hope for.. it will be burried in our living room with a glass plate on :)

Your cap looks exactly like mine.

Ok enough of the debate......nuthing wrong with your pan mullinax,or the end rubber seal,gaskets for pan rail turn them around the right way....mancini racing pan's are awesome and while my batteries for my camera recharge from all the pic's I just snapped of all the gaskets and seal and rear main seal and a stock 360 oil pan......just to prove a point mind you I have better thing's to do but it seem's this needs attention to save milodon and mancini's tech line from ringing off the wall so...everybody settle down while the batteries charge and I will post pic's in a lil' while and the mystery will be solved.....Dr Wagg's....:grommit:

Hurry up! LOL! :clock:

-
Back