What to do...remote mirror mounting?

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the rundown, I have a 67 barracuda notchback, and It was originally equipped with a driver's side remote mirror. When I got the car it had one of the cheap parts-store replacement mirrors on it. So I took it off to put the remote mirror on, and come to find out someone drilled 2 big holes to mount the aftermarket mirror, and it doesn't look good at all with the remote mirror installed, you still see the holes. I have included a picture to help you see what I mean. Any ideas on what to do? It has great paint so I don't really want to replace the door. I am wondering if I can fill it in somehow with something, although I really don't want to use bondo. Any help would be great..thanks!

cudamirrormount.jpg

Will the orig. mirror cover all that?

If it does then just put it on.

Possibly a metal plate and gasket to sit between the mirror base and the door skin? You could trace your mirror base onto metal and cut it out with enough extra meat to cover the holes. Otherwise, weld a patch, do a little body work, and repaint.

I see what you mean. IMO, your choices are Bondo, lead, or patch panel. If you use Bondo or lead, do fill the holes you need to use. If you use a patch panel, make a template that has the size and location of the needed holes in relation to the rest of the door. For example: Use the front window track where it disappears into the door as the reference point for your template. Failing to do this gives you the holes in the right place for the mirror, but not for the right place on the door.

It goes without saying, use any of these three methods, and the area needs to be repainted.

-
Back