What to do with A body parts?

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
Okay, question about my replaced parts. To sell or not to sell, is the question? I just got a 72 Dart back in February and have since mini tubbed it and got all kinds of goodies at Carlisle that I am putting in. For instance, I wanted to go to bb pattern and upgraded my brakes, put in racing seats, and got a new 8 3/4 that was cut down. Is there any market at all for small bolt pattern front brake set up (upper control arm, small ball joint, and drum spindles)? Should I keep my factory front bench seat, "just in case I ever decide to go back stock," when I know this will never happen? Should I hold on to my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern rear housing and brake set up as a back up or should I just sell off everything since I truly don't ever see me putting any of these parts back on? Mopar stuff is harder to find but at the same time I need to make some space. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this since I know most of you have already walked down this road. Oh yeah, while I'm thinkin of it...I have my rear leaf springs out and was going to paint them and noticed that my right one has 8 segments and the left only has 6. Is this true for the SS springs, stock, or some back woods hill billy bumpkin job that I happened to purchase my car from? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1972Dart said:
Okay, question about my replaced parts. To sell or not to sell, is the question? I just got a 72 Dart back in February and have since mini tubbed it and got all kinds of goodies at Carlisle that I am putting in. For instance, I wanted to go to bb pattern and upgraded my brakes, put in racing seats, and got a new 8 3/4 that was cut down. Is there any market at all for small bolt pattern front brake set up (upper control arm, small ball joint, and drum spindles)? Should I keep my factory front bench seat, "just in case I ever decide to go back stock," when I know this will never happen? Should I hold on to my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern rear housing and brake set up as a back up or should I just sell off everything since I truly don't ever see me putting any of these parts back on? Mopar stuff is harder to find but at the same time I need to make some space. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this since I know most of you have already walked down this road. Oh yeah, while I'm thinkin of it...I have my rear leaf springs out and was going to paint them and noticed that my right one has 8 segments and the left only has 6. Is this true for the SS springs, stock, or some back woods hill billy bumpkin job that I happened to purchase my car from? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

well depending on where you are at i may be interested int he 8.75 rear....

Looks like your on the other side of the country from here, I'm in Harrisburg PA.

nobody is really answering your question and I am interested in the answer because I am in the same boat you are!

freshayr said:
nobody is really answering your question and I am interested in the answer because I am in the same boat you are!

Its not that no one is answering the question, Everyone who does upgrades is in the same boat.
What to do. We all know that more than likely we will never swap back to the original but if we sell our cars does having all the original numbers matching parts for your original numbers matching car count for something, YES.
So what do we do? We sit on the parts for the reason mentioned above and the second reason is if I ever do want to go back to original do you want to hunt down these parts and pay an arm and a leg for them.
If you know your never going to use them sell them.
If you have space to store them, store them.
If you have a friend who needs them work with them.
Prices of these parts only go up as they get harder to find.

Yeah, been there done that. I got a 318 2-bbl carb and intake manifold sitting in the corner. Anyone want it? Some exhaust manifolds, a steering wheel and some other tidbits too. I already trashed the bench seat and the drum brake parts... no place to store them. Oh well.

GotDart said:
I already trashed the bench seat and the drum brake parts... no place to store them. Oh well.

Are the drum brakes parts easily available? I am talking about pads, springs, hubs, the wearable stuff. i.e. Is there any reason to keep old drums.

Just remember that old car parts and junk are things you keep for 20 years and never look at, or even remember you have them sometimes. Of course the day after you dispose of any of this junk, it becomes immediately apparent that you are in dire need of what you just chucked out!! Law of Old Car Parts and Junk. :)

I`ve been emptying my extra parts pile and it feels great,got some cash now can go buy more stuff for the Dart.The parts you have maybe the parts somebody really needs to get their old mopar on the road again.Think of it as promoting the hobby..lol

I tossed a 7 1/4 rear that was bb pattern cause I never thought I would need it again. Low an behold about a year later, I need bb axles to fit a 7 1/4 for my driver. :(

Just my input..I'm always trying to find that odd part now and then and I would enjoy buying from my follow members however, a dude like me from up here can almost have a :crybaby: when he reads about all those cool parts you guys have listed for sale down there across the boader. It just sucks living in Canada when dealing with the great divide :book: ie..duty,exchange and tax crap. Even UPS likes a good piece of the pie $$. Oh well..money talks and if I want it that bad I'll just have to play the game. :-({|=

pic4.JPG

ThanX for all the input, and I'm still about where I was before...To sell or not to sell. OldVart I like the Law of Old Car Parts and Junk, good philosophy! Guess I'll start selecting what goes and what stays then change my mind again and keep it all anyhow. Peace out

Unless it is a rare model `72 Dart I doubt anybody would care about the original parts after it has mini tubbed and modified so unless you have plenty of storage room I wouldn`t bother keeping the stuff.

You dont see adds that say Got junk? Do you?
If you dont want it and you can't give it a way, one man is allways willing to take it. Just don't overload the trash can cause he won't want it then, and no one will. Good riddens to bad rubish.

I sold my small bolt pattern front disk brakes and spindles knowing I would never put them back in. I would keep the 8 3/4 fror another project. The seat, well do you think you will ever put it back in?

JLP67cudasmall.jpg

-
Back