What to price a 1970 Super Bird at my friend is getting in a multi car trade

-
I have been in the market for a superbird for a while now and have been watching values fluctuate greatly. Your friend lives in America and in America (last time I checked) its legal to buy and sell stuff to better yourself and family, so ignore the flip comments. So back to the birds value. It sounds like a solid car and for your friend the best way to make the most money is to sell it as it is. 80K is all the money for a nice numbers matching driver (4 speed, auto a little less). So his dream of making a killing is looking more like very little profit. To get it to the point where someone at a big televised auction will pay 150K for it he will need to do a rottieserie resto on it. Values are heading downward right now and he could end up upside down in it since a quality resto will cost 30K if he does everything himself or upwards of a 100K for a full on pro OE level resto. Keep in mind that auction houses have steep fees and the tax man will come knocking for his share of the profit. Been there done that. So theres your numbers. I would like to see more of it. It looks like a pretty nice car.

any friend of mine, who would trade a superbird for 2 chivys and a little cash is no friend of mine. lol really trading the oldmans car for a chivy. that's beyond ridiculous.
If he takes below 100,000 he is a fool.

If he's not interested in owning it, flip the GM stuff and be done.

$90K would need a lot more than pictures. I wouldn't pay a resto shop to redo it. I'd pay one to look at it, to analyze how it was done, what has been done and anything that may need caught up.

Assuming this car is in #2 condition or near certification show class, It's worth about $80-$100K depending on it's condition.

My thinking is the same as posted. Why bother, if he's not interested? Accumulating values are up on a lot of Chrysler products, when you are talking about collector values, but to who?

I'd also like to add that flipping a car, or anything, for that matter more than once in a short amount of time on an open market can raise question and hurt it's value.

Don't expect to make a dime on sending it out for a full restoration. Most shops doing top end jobs charge $30K starting for paint. And that is just to get the unibody painted. Most restoration shops charge about $50-80K for most of the 1962-1975 era in full resto.

If the critical stuff checks out in the numbers, Galen did that work, just look closely at the resto application underneath, under the hood, etc and compare to other cars, then going into a deal like this, you'll know where the car stands against others like it and it's value against others like it for a better idea of it's market value.

Auction houses charge about $1k on a car like that for listing on a good night, plus final value fees. One more thing to consider. It's about $1k for a TV spot, too.

I wouldn't pay $10,000 for a paint job now, not sure how it sounds like a cheap job 12 years ago lol.
talking about a correct resto paint job by a shop that does collector cars and knows mopars. This means a rotisserie, windows removed, doors off, weather striping removed, correct wheel well treatment, engine bay painted, and all the little stuff this superbird has like nose cone details, prep for the vinyl top, seam sealer, decals applied, etc etc.. The. Windows installed, panels and Doors installed and aligned. Ya you could paint a superbird for 10'grand back then but I don't think it would be a show stopper.

Why wouldn't the guy just get a PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL on the bird and be done with it? Everyone has opinions, and they are all over the map.

title is in sons name which was done before the sons death........I agree, I think it is a huge risk car......I have driven it and I can say I can notched one thing off my bucket list......I felt out of place....people look at you like,"that guy is probably just driving his buddies car, he could never afford that!" and they would be correct haha

If he's not interested in owning it, flip the GM stuff and be done.

$90K would need a lot more than pictures. I wouldn't pay a resto shop to redo it. I'd pay one to look at it, to analyze how it was done, what has been done and anything that may need caught up.

Assuming this car is in #2 condition or near certification show class, It's worth about $80-$100K depending on it's condition.

My thinking is the same as posted. Why bother, if he's not interested? Accumulating values are up on a lot of Chrysler products, when you are talking about collector values, but to who?

I'd also like to add that flipping a car, or anything, for that matter more than once in a short amount of time on an open market can raise question and hurt it's value.

Don't expect to make a dime on sending it out for a full restoration. Most shops doing top end jobs charge $30K starting for paint. And that is just to get the unibody painted. Most restoration shops charge about $50-80K for most of the 1962-1975 era in full resto.

If the critical stuff checks out in the numbers, Galen did that work, just look closely at the resto application underneath, under the hood, etc and compare to other cars, then going into a deal like this, you'll know where the car stands against others like it and it's value against others like it for a better idea of it's market value.

Auction houses charge about $1k on a car like that for listing on a good night, plus final value fees. One more thing to consider. It's about $1k for a TV spot, too.
You could also have the 'Count' on counting cars restore it for you. Bring your bandana though if you want that hip early 70's metal flake paint job. :glasses7:

Why wouldn't the guy just get a PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL on the bird and be done with it? Everyone has opinions, and they are all over the map.

"PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL" what a joke, ask anyone who has had one. About as accurate as a wet sponge. Look around at what they are really selling for outside of the spectacles of TV car auctions. Thats where the real prices live.

if it was worth 80k it would have sold 6 months ago when it was first posted.
and yes appraisals are a joke.
my appraisal is the cash I have in my pocket .

Does your friend still have this? And, is it a four speed? Also, is it a track pack car? I mean, does it have a Dana? I know someone who might be interested. Thanks for your time.

If it could be brought down to the Ann Arbor area, a friend of mine could comb that car down and give you a very accurate assessment of what you have there! Geof

-
Back