What type of dart do I have?

-

josuevalenza

Reaction score
A year ago I bought a 1966 Dart GT, the configuration seemed quite strange to me, since it has:

• 273 V8
  • Holley 2bbl Carb
  • 4 speeds
  • Hurst trigger shifter
  • Front brake discs
  • Crown 8.75
  • bucket seats

I understand that this configuration came on the dart charger, but only on the 65.

Could someone give me a guide on what I have? thank you!

Captura de pantalla 2024-08-04 a la(s) 7.40.03 p. m..png

I thought the same thing, but the motor and gearbox are matching numbers, the discs are Kelsey and the crown is 8.75.
Drive trains are dated but no "numbers matching"..LP23D6 is a 1966 GT with a 273 that's all you have. Was it a US built car?

Last edited:
Drive trains are dated but no "numbers matching"..LP23D6 is a 1966 GT with a 273-4 barrel that's all you have. Was it a US built car?

Thanks for the info, it was a car built in the USA, then it was imported to Peru several years ago, so according to the serial number it originally came with a 4bbl, at some point they changed it for 2bbl i guess.

The date code thing is correct, my bad on Matching # thing.

So far is a:

273 - 4 Barrel.
4 speed.
Kelsey front disc brakes.
8.75 Crown.
Hurst trigger shifter.
Bucket seats.

So i guess it's a dart with all the good extras!

Do you know what the original carburetor was? I would like to change it.

All assuming the numbering systems are the same or similar to North America.
You could have had many different equipment offerings available than we had in the U.S.- was this a U.S. car imported to Peru, or locally built?

Edit- Okay, it was imported. You posted just as I finished typing!

I've seen a few decoders stating 2bl??
I know "E" was the 4bl? In 67 anyway.
Let me correct myself. I was typing on my phone, watching the end of a movie and talking to my wife all at once. LP23D6
The D is a 273. You need a fender tag or build sheet to figure out 2 or 4 barrel.

32 under AB on the fender tag was the 4 barrel. 31 was the 2 barrel. You have to have the correct fender tag though.

Thanks for the info, it was a car built in the USA, then it was imported to Peru several years ago, so according to the serial number it originally came with a 4bbl, at some point they changed it for 2bbl i guess.

The date code thing is correct, my bad on Matching # thing.

So far is a:

273 - 4 Barrel.
4 speed.
Kelsey front disc brakes.
8.75 Crown.
Hurst trigger shifter.
Bucket seats.

So i guess it's a dart with all the good extras!

Do you know what the original carburetor was? I would like to change it.
I corrected my post you quoted. Please read my post #13

Sounds like a normal 273 2-bbl 66 Dart to me, and it would come with an 8-3/4 if ordered.

Here's an intresting plot twist...

Screenshot_20240804-211014.png

The FSM says D in the VIN is 318 poly?
(99.9999% sure a poly never came stock in a Dart. So must be a misprint in the FSM)

Post a photo of your engine.

Last edited:
Sounds like a normal 273 2-bbl 66 Dart to me, and it would come with an 8-3/4 if ordered.
Looks like someone massaged the rear wheel openings for some fatter tires.

-
Back