What type of dart do I have?

-
Wipe the top of the radiator with some vinegar to etch it then paint it black. They look so much better that way

Looks like a Ford Voltage Regulator bolted to the drivers fender....
Also looks like it had a heater but the blower motor is gone & there's a block off plate... And the hose locations are also plugged...
Ii's in Peru has any one figured that out ?

Really great looking car. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.
Agree....and we should be on the positive and not on the beat down. Without reguard to the missing fender tag - it is a GT with a 4sp and a 8 3/4 which should indicate it was once a 4 pot......lots of years and countries between 1966.

Show a picture of the rear under the bumper left side and by chance the left side might be orginal with a tell tale sign.

Agree....and we should be on the positive and not on the beat down. Without reguard to the missing fender tag - it is a GT with a 4sp and a 8 3/4 which should indicate it was once a 4 pot......lots of years and countries between 1966.

Show a picture of the rear under the bumper left side and by chance the left side might be orginal with a tell tale sign.
Two barrel four speed A-bodies from the factory are rare, but they are out there. Also no cutout on '66 or '67 Darts for the big resonator tip.

A year ago I bought a 1966 Dart GT, the configuration seemed quite strange to me, since it has:

• 273 V8
  • Holley 2bbl Carb
  • 4 speeds
  • Hurst trigger shifter
  • Front brake discs
  • Crown 8.75
  • bucket seats

I understand that this configuration came on the dart charger, but only on the 65.

Could someone give me a guide on what I have? thank you!

View attachment 1716285359
Chrysler didn't build your car with disc brakes, not did they put an 8.75" rear axle in it. It came with 10" drum brakes front and rear and an 8.25" rear axle. Other than that your car is a very "normal" '66 Dart GT with an optional 273-4V and four speed manual transmission.

Let's be realistic now...Most of them don't look that good! LOL
A nice air cleaner and original valve covers (redone by Leanna) and a couple cans of Chrysler Industrial Red. The inside is all new but you can't see that through the lipstick. :poke: :rofl:

Let's be realistic now...Most of them don't look that good! LOL
Here's when I bought it.

randalia5.jpg

There is no substitute for those valve covers or that original air cleaner. That factory dress up kit was a home run from the get-go. I wanted to ask you before when I had seen that same picture...Is that 24 Karat gold plating or just some really good sunlight reflecting off your intake manifold? I have a couple that still look like this one. One somebody put a 340 in and painted the engine orange and the valve covers to match. I have a really original unmolested 65 Barracuda that looks much worse than this one...and kind of odd with the deluxe master cylinder crowding its way thru but it does have the original air cleaner and valve covers.

Chrysler didn't build your car with disc brakes, not did they put an 8.75" rear axle in it. It came with 10" drum brakes front and rear and an 8.25" rear axle. Other than that your car is a very "normal" '66 Dart GT with an optional 273-4V and four speed manual transmission.
Smoking today?

There is no substitute for those valve covers or that original air cleaner. That factory dress up kit was a home run from the get-go. I wanted to ask you before when I had seen that same picture...Is that 24 Karat gold plating or just some really good sunlight reflecting off your intake manifold? I have a couple that still look like this one. One somebody put a 340 in and painted the engine orange and the valve covers to match. I have a really original unmolested 65 Barracuda that looks much worse than this one...and kind of odd with the deluxe master cylinder crowding its way thru but it does have the original air cleaner and valve covers.
Just the sunlight. I had just put the engine in and didn't have the hood on yet. (note timing light still hooked up)

That was 14 years ago when I went through the 273. It looks like this today.

Battery topper2.jpg

That was 14 years ago when I went through the 273. It looks like this today.

View attachment 1716304151
It still looks good Mike. From this angle you can see Leanna's touch on the crinkle valve covers much better. I just sold my last Dart Charger engine to another member's brother to go in a 65 convertible Dart. They came to the house from the Joliet Illinois area. I had a neighbor that worked for the grain elevator load him with a little skidster. Come to find out it was going in the members nephew's car. The father wasn't a member here but commented how all us old Mopar guys stick together and try to help each other out. Then his Boxer **** in my neighbor's yard and off they went. LOL

Disc brakes were a factory option starting late in the 1965 model year.
8-3/4 was available on '66 A-bodies, but not every four speed car had one.
The only other rear end available in 1966 was the 7-1/4. 8-1/4 didn't arrive until 1973.

Disc brakes were a factory option starting late in the 1965 model year.
8-3/4 was available on '66 A-bodies, but not every four speed car had one.
The only other rear end available in 1966 was the 7-1/4. 8-1/4 didn't arrive until 1973.
My first 1965 Form S 4 speed did have a 8 3/4 in it in 1974.....kinda early to be swapped out.

My first 1965 Form S 4 speed did have a 8 3/4 in it in 1974.....kinda early to be swapped out.
A lot of them were swapped out the first year. It was fairly easy to break a 7 1/4 with a 273 4bbl. 4 speed. Chrysler got tired of warrantying them, so swapped them with the 8 3/4.

Got ya. Me too in my 66 Dart somewhere 69-70 but young and dumb put in a b body Carried 2 spares for a while. lol

Lots of stuff changed in this car, so it’s not going to be easy to see what is original and what’s not. The engine should be red, not orange, and it should have a “B” prefix stamp on the pad under the drivers side cylinder head on the front of the block. For all intents and purposes, it is a 2bbl 273, which is likely the original engine.

A lot of them were swapped out the first year. It was fairly easy to break a 7 1/4 with a 273 4bbl. 4 speed. Chrysler got tired of warrantying them, so swapped them with the 8 3/4.
So your stating none were equipped from the factory for purchase at the dealers lot ?

-
Back