What would cause engine to jam while cranking??

-

22dog22

Reaction score
On going problem with getting my 69 Cuda 318,auto, to run.engine ran fine before , engine was a total rebuild, had about 500 miles on it,[ had a cheap Pro Comp dist. and matching coil, it got cooked by bad voltage reg. Have tried a Pertronix dist. and matching coil,[ all new plugs, wires, all voltage are correct ] car would start up, would run rough then die. gave up the Pertronix, have installed a Mopar type electronic ignition, dist., coil, resistor block ,wiring, Per instructions, put engine to 10 deg. before tdc, made sure rotor is pointing at #1 , double checked plug wire firing order, when cranking, engine seems like it is jamming, it will crank normal, then stop/jam , did not want to keep trying it, went to remove the + battery cable it was very warm never noticed that with the Pertronx, it seems like the starter is drawing a lot of amps, again did not have any type of issue with the Pertronx. tried to adjust timing at dist, does/did not change the way the engine is cranking, and no start.

Maybe I should just go back to a points system?

Ok, I just spoke with Rick at Rick's Mopar, we did some trouble shooting over the phone, I removed the coil wire and cranked the engine over, which took care of that issue,[ engine jam] he feels also that the timing is to far advanced, so he said I should start at the beginning, old school make sure timing marks on engine damper are correct, he reviewed but I got lost, he said to take an old spark plug ,clean it out so you can put a bolt in it to act as a stop, and rotate engine one way till the piston hits the stop and mark the spot on the timing plate and then rotate engine in the other direction till it hits the stop and mark it, some where in between the 2 marks would be TDC, then set to 10deg. before , from that reference point, pull dist, and make sure the dist. drive gear slot in facing the left front head bolt then make sure rotor is pointing to number 1 drop the dist. and wire the spark plug wires correctly he it should run then.

has anyone done this before, looking for some guidance.

Ok, I just spoke with Rick at Rick's Mopar, we did some trouble shooting over the phone, I removed the coil wire and cranked the engine over, which took care of that issue,[ engine jam] he feels also that the timing is to far advanced, so he said I should start at the beginning, old school make sure timing marks on engine damper are correct, he reviewed but I got lost, he said to take an old spark plug ,clean it out so you can put a bolt in it to act as a stop, and rotate engine one way till the piston hits the stop and mark the spot on the timing plate and then rotate engine in the other direction till it hits the stop and mark it, some where in between the 2 marks would be TDC, then set to 10deg. before , from that reference point, pull dist, and make sure the dist. drive gear slot in facing the left front head bolt then make sure rotor is pointing to number 1 drop the dist. and wire the spark plug wires correctly he it should run then.

has anyone done this before, looking for some guidance.
Jesus criminey man, just grab the distributor and retard the timing.

I always install my dizzy 180 out on nee builds . Helps with break in !
NOT!
I seem to have a mental block about it . I verify tdc and rotor position twice and still do it !
Urghhh !!!

What RRR said . ∆ ∆ ∆ . .
I generally put #6 rockers in overlap, that means #1 is firing, timing mark should be at zero.
Drop shaft/distributor to have rotor pointing at #1 wire on cap.
Give it lotsa initial timing, - 12 - 25*s, an engine without lotsa timing will generate excess heat, fill float bowls, shot of gas down the carb.
Vroom, check for oil pressure, look underneath for leaks.
Set timing, check temp .
Good luck.

Last edited:
-
Back