what's a 8 3/4 for a body worth?

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I got one at a heck of a deal and I'm torn weather I should sell it or put it in my car, on one hand I'll have to spend a lot to put it in or I could sell it and use the money to fix other things on the car. but the main question is what is a A body 8 3/4 rear (either 741 or 742 can't remember) with 2.96 gears open small bolt pattern, center section and axels are removed but its all there with the drums.

complete drum to drum should bring $500 pretty easy. you get more with better gear ratio and sure grip. If you got a good deal then i would hang onto it and install it. these housings are getting harder and harder to find.

If you have a stock smaller rear end in the car now, put in the 8 3/4. It will add to the value and desirability of your car and you will never worry about breaking the differential, plus you can easily swap gear ratios or put in a sure grip.

My 2 cents

so if given the choice ? a body 8n 3/4 small bolt pattern COMPLETE VS 8n 3/4 from 66 b body complete. yes i know i will b moving spring perches on this one. So ? Option #3 original a body housing. using C body brake set up, have DR. Diff cut the C body axles to fit, to achieve the large bolt pattern. Well Lets stir the pot, c what will b the best. I got them all. My project ? 1965 Baracuda

i ordered a set of standard a- body axels for the a- body breaks from moser once and then just redrilled my brake drums myself. they are centered by the center hole on the drum so your holes dont have to be absolutely perfect. axles cost me $199

A lot of it depends on where you are in the country.

$450.00 is the most I have ever paid for one, it was complete from drum to drum and ready to install.

This one has been for sale for over a month for $300.00. I am thinking there must be issues with it since it hasn't sold by now. I may check it out real soon.

3r43G83N15I85Ke5F7d6ie08bad2af557173e.jpg

ive been looking for one for my valiant ,im in columbus ohio and found a few for abody going for around 700 ,i think thats way too high ,i picked up a 66 bbody 8 3/4 for 50.00 ill be moving perches and getting off set rims.

They are very hard to find around here. I've only had 2 'spares' in the past 30 years or so and I came across both in the past couple of years. I sold one with a single track center to a buddy for $400 and he was so glad to get it (he had been looking for a looong time) he tried to give me another $100. I recently sold one with a sure-grip for $600 to another friend, and could have sold it for more.
I have a couple of the '67 b-body ones. They seem to bring around $250 complete.
Dallas

I just bought a 71 dart that was headed to the crusher for $300. Has a complete 8 3/4 w 3:23 open, nice doors, fiberglass fenders, nice hood and grill. Other than that, a very very rusty POS

the A body housing goes for $150 to $250, the open 2:96 center section sells for $75 to $100, axles are $50 to $75 a pair, the flanged 10" brake drums in good shape can go for $100 each to someone doing a restoration

If you hold out long enough, it should be worth One million dollars....

-
Back