What's the best way to clean up this rust? (pics)

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I have some NOS gears and they were in a sealed box, but must have gotten damp at one time and started to rust a little on the surface. It looks pretty light, one bigger gear seems to have more, can this be cleaned up? The stuf I am concerned about is on the flat surface....or won't it matter? Pics are below, thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSC07762.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC07763.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC07765.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC07760.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 363
I would soak them in a can/jar of Ospho (Phosphoric acid). You can get it at Lowe's or home depot. It's by the mineral spirits and paint thinner. Those gears will look as good as new after a few hours!!!

images

Just don't drop any on your concrete floor. It'll etch it and turn it a lighter shade of gray (if you even care).

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/klean-...ric-prep-and-etch-gkpa30220.html#.UNDvEoYVNMQ

Or purple power or purple stuff
I have had the most luck with B12 chemtool (Dont put in plastic container)(Metal or glass only)
Had some bolts that wouldnt come apart let them soak over night and good as new

id give em a good scrubbing with SOS pads and hot water. then dry then really good and see what they look like. the chemical posted before me is also good stuff.

Evap-O-Rust, you can get it at O'reillys. It works wonders on gears. I had a ring and pinion that were as bad or worse than yours. Soaked the in the stuff and the looked like new. We installed them for a guy and they never made any niose. It's a bit pricey at 24 bucks a gallon, but that's the only down side. Try it out.

A mix of mostly vinegar, a little lemon juice and salt.

Look up the actual formula

Evap-O-Rust, you can get it at O'reillys. It works wonders on gears. I had a ring and pinion that were as bad or worse than yours. Soaked the in the stuff and the looked like new. We installed them for a guy and they never made any niose. It's a bit pricey at 24 bucks a gallon, but that's the only down side. Try it out.

X2 on Evap-o-Rust, this stuff is amazing and can be re-used quite a few times. Let them sit in overnight and they will be like new in the morning!

i have been trying to remember a product i saw at a swap meet here in michigan and have been kicking myself since then for not buying it. it was said to remove rust and prevent rust afterward for years....:violent1:think think think...i have a suregrip center section with a little surface rust and have been trying to figure out how to get that off without damaging anything inside

Metal rescue or other rust dip products. There is a youtube video where they are at a swap meet and drop guys rusty parts in for demonstration. Damn that stuff is a rust killer!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiSLvmKmKng"]How to remove rust from a rusty fender - YouTube[/ame]

A mix of mostly vinegar, a little lemon juice and salt.

Look up the actual formula

This works and you have it at home..This is also how to prep galvanized for paint.. Vinegar wash was the only thing that would do it back in the day..:cheers:

Here is an effective way

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtG5vdPMIv4"]Home Improvements & Maintenance : Removing Rust Naturally - YouTube[/ame]

You should have what I posted at home...:D

I remember using water,vinegar, and sos pads as a kid to clean up rusty bicycles. Had my own mini bike detailing business going. That was, until Mom found out I was using her supplies and I had to replace it! Lol

Evap-o-rust works pretty good, and is less obnoxious than the old phosphoric acid based stuff like ospho or Naval Jelly. For bigger parts electrolysis works well.

You'll want to polish the machined surfaces with a fine Scotchbrite.

Muriatic acid. Cheap (about 10 bucks a gallon from home depot) and will eat the rust right before your eyes. Don't get any on you or breath the fumes. :)

i use muratic acid as well. take less than 20 minutes on light rust like whats on your gears. wash well with soapy water and baking soda to help neutralize the acid. lube em up right away to keep em from rusting again.
muratic acid has a nasty habit of your parts starting to flash rust after you wash the acid off and the metal starts to dry. i once sprayed a complete cab of a 37 pick up with acid after we got it sandblasted and i wanted to get all the rust out of the pits that the blaster didn t get.......life changing experience. long story short...i couldn t get it washed and dried before it would start to rust again...i got bailed out by a local power wash company with a product called RUSTBAN. you acid wash....rinse and neutralize, rinse and spray with rustban while its still wet.....and dry it...
no more flash rust.
my old man was pissed after he just paid 500 bucks to get his truck blasted and i made it rusty again. LOL. he probably wouldn t have spoke to me again if i didn t figure out a way to fix it.

-
Back