What's the difference with ball joints?

-

67ozziecuda

Reaction score
Is the lower ball joint mounting holes larger in diameter on the disc brake ball joints than on the drum brake ones? I just bought disc spindles for the 67 barracuda to change from the drum ones and found the 2 bolt holes are larger on the disc spindles than the drum ones, I assume there are two different lower ball joints ?

There are at least 3 different lower ball joints. You didn't state what disc brake spindles you purchased but regardless which spindles , you will need the lower ball joints listed for those spindles.

I was told buy members on the forum that all 65-72 A Body disc spindles were the same?

There are at least 3 different lower ball joints. You didn't state what disc brake spindles you purchased but regardless which spindles , you will need the lower ball joints listed for those spindles.

I was told buy members on the forum that all 65-72 A Body disc spindles were the same?

Well yeah probably but so many are installing the later model large bolt pattern disc brake parts.
Anyway... If you have the small bolt pattern K-H brake spindles, you'll need the ball joints that go with them.

The only difference is the size of the bolt holes. Many folks have drilled them out with good results.......

The only difference is the size of the bolt holes. Many folks have drilled them out with good results.......

I bought the drum front end rebuild rebuild kit and saved $50 because the only difference is the lower ball joint then drilled the holes out and did the KH disk upgrade on my 62 Valiant
I can't remember the size of drill bit I used but if you have one of the spindle bolts with the shoulder on it you can mike it and start drilling the opening up but I'd start two drill bit smaller then what your mike reading is
Just my own way of doing it

What I used was a odd ball drill size it was either 17/32 or 35/64 and it was a snug fit with absolutely no slop

-
Back