whats this part called?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
so just pulling apart 340 from 72 duster, removed trans from motor and lo and behold theres my camshaft numbers looking at me, i guess PO forgot something.question is,whats the ''plug'' called so i can order one to put in back in?

If you're talking about the cup plug at the back of the cam tunnel, it usually comes in the core plug kit, I think.

And I highly doubt you didn't have a huge oil leak if it was truly missing?

I think its just a freeze plug, or soft plug in there?

894812-8672607840f2f91213322d34e8e67b45.jpg

KIMG1052.JPG

its a welch plug. you put it in bulge out and smack it with a ball peen hammer to expand it. And yes, huge oil leak under pressure.
plugs1.jpg

Last edited:
its a welch plug. you put it in bulge out and smack it with a ball peen hammer to expand it. And yes, huge oil leak under pressure.
View attachment 1715166453
ya it wasnt too oily in there, but every time i really got on it there was a trail of smoke, thought it was rear main seal! oh well had to pull engine anyways obviously!some people, you should see the bodywork and expanding foam insulation used to seal up wheelwells in trunk,aaarrrggghhhhhh!

Rockauto.com calls it the camshaft plug.
Dorman 555123 is the original style. Dorman 550027 is the type pishta showed in his photo. Some plug kits have both styles, some have one or the other, and you can get it individually.
I have not personally tried the Dorman brand part on my engines, as I always bought a kit.

To install it properly you tap it in until it seats, put the pein end of a hammer on the plug and hit that hammer with another to properly seat/expand it. One medium tap is all it takes.

Individual size of the "concave cup" style, is 1.888 inch. style needed for your year is like in post 4, post 3 style was used in later years. this is a brand list of complete core plug kits. Kits come with both styles of cam plug.
Qual Cast 97-11
Sealed Power 381-4014
Clevite 219-9420
U.S. Tool EPK11
Pioneer Inc. PE113
Pictured below is not the style your 340 uses.
100_1489.JPG

-
Back