whats with the new vans???

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I see the new vans from dodge and ford, and man are these things ugly. Why is that? Vans used to have stylish sheetmetal, now they are just flat out ugly. I used to think the old dodge tradesman was just too cool looking. And even better with a full interior for shaggin, mags, fender flairs, zoomies etc. A total rollin palace

Matt

Yup all of the new cars have European design and are all ugly. Cars from 20 years ago and older I could tell you what they were from 1/8 mile away now they all look the same.

yea, the days of the heavy duty vans are gone. They all appear to be built in Europe now. Im lucky I picked up a 2003 1500 ram van a few years back for hauling dirt bikes. now I use it for my car hauler.

The writing was on the wall when Dodge extended the bumper on the last generation full size van.
I call those the "busted lip" vans.

chevy upped the ante with the "loaf or bread" savanna, and then further uglied it with the front end redisign (this could be the official "ugly van contest" starting point).

The intro of the nissan full size van raised the stakes again, but ford quickly countered with an oversize, plastic redesigned front end on the e series.

ford then threw a curve with the transit connect full size high top- actually a good looking van,, but made a comeback with the low top window van version.

Sadly, the current first place holder is the new FCA/Dodge sprinter replacement :(

Almost no contest.

When I finally had to retire my '87 GMC cargo van this year I was deeply saddened. Have no clue what I will replace it with. Maybe my feet.

x2 for the bugly vans. They are crossover platform European designed vans to deliver flowers or pizza. The brake pucks are the size of a silver dollar. Dodge DOES have a van that was based on a Mercedes platform (Eurpoean). They were offered in 5cyl and 6cyl versions. The 5cyl versions were a total turd and were dropped. Ram now has a van with diesel power that has a price point about $55k. Not affordable at all. I drove a ffford 3500 series van every day for 3 years. 7.4l turbo diesel, couldn't move if you set it on fire. Loud, slow and rode like a park bench. Eventually exchanged it for a gas model. The difference was amazing but it was still a ffford. Good vans and pickups are just out of reach for a lot of people. Even Toyota and Nissan are making medium duty trucks now. Say goodby to Sterling, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, International, medum and light duty

You're talking about the Sprinter.

That went away when daimler did.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone seen the new CAT heavy trucks?

Dodge and Ford milked their old designs for all they could, spending virtually nothing on upgrades. The Ford's suspension dated to the late 60s, the Dodge dates to 71. It was cheaper and easier to drop the old ones and bring the euro designs here.

I personally love B vans, I bought a new 74 B300, drove it til it died in 86 then replaced it with a used 75 B300, parts from the first one lived on in the second one which died in 95, both died from serious rustout.

Between the two vans I have about 300K behind the wheel in those.

I understand the new CAT trucks are a joint venture between CAT and Navistar.

I think if you were the one paying to gas up the new ones, you'd find them a lot more attractive.

That said, I can't imagine a street van on the new stuff. They just look wrong with a Star Wars mural on the side.

...and what a waste of the ford/Sterling "Louisville" tooling.

After riding in ford, the only complaint I have with my Dodge is the visibility. Dodge kind of missed that in the "70''s design. its really noticeable when you climb out of the ford into the dodge. Ill run my 03 1500 ram as long as I can, I got lucky and found it before it rusted or was abused to death. its a retired TV repair van so its in good shape with a 5.2 and 4 wheel disc brakes

All the new E series cargo Fords are just scaled up Transit Connects.....
They're like a cross between a mini van and a cab forward Isuzu.

Don't like full size vans but if I ever have to drive a mini van it'll definitely be one of the 2010?-now caravans. Best looking minivan ever made IMO.

Not only are the 2015 Ram vans butt ugly, but they all come standard with FWD. WTH. Back in the mid-60's Dodge nearly owned the medium duty truck market. They gave up and now have no presence. By surrendering to FWD, they are giving up. As a fleet manager, I would not have a FWD vehicle because half shafts and joints are not as durable as a live axle and because it is necessary to pull the engine, separate the trans axle to get to the rear bank's freeze plugs. Don't get me started about the City ProMaster's 2.4 liter I-4.

They ran the tooling for the B-van so long, it was plum wore out.

If they were to keep making it, they would have had to buy all new tooling....

The Ram Promaster/Fiat Ducato/Citroen Jumper/Peugeot Boxer. Best van made.
Most cargo room with the lowest foot print. The design is so well done that to
get the same amount of cargo room on the Mercedes Sprinter you need to be
3 and a half feet longer.
Reminds me of women's shoes as who cares if they work and feel comfortable
as long as they look good then your good to go.

Purpose built vehicle. Fwd is what offers the huge amount of cargo room with a low
floor height.

Darryl

The Ram Promaster/Fiat Ducato/Citroen Jumper/Peugeot Boxer. Best van made.
Most cargo room with the lowest foot print. The design is so well done that to
get the same amount of cargo room on the Mercedes Sprinter you need to be
3 and a half feet longer.
Reminds me of women's shoes as who cares if they work and feel comfortable
as long as they look good then your good to go.

Purpose built vehicle. Fwd is what offers the huge amount of cargo room with a low
floor height.

Darryl

Doesnt matter to me, its still Fugly.

Doesnt matter to me, its still Fugly.

Just had to answer your "why is that?" question on post #1.

Also the front comes in three pieces and require no paint.So in a small accident
cost are very low. Head lights are high to save them in a collision.

The ugly puts money in your pocket. So its expensive women's shoes that look
good or just the plain purpose built vehicle. Gets the job done.

Darryl

I sat in a couple at the auto show I thought they were pretty damn comfortable!

The new ram is just a rebadged Fiat, they have had that exact van in Europe for years. The FWD is a good thing. It allows for a lower floor in the rear which can give you stand up height inside without having to be taller overall outside which kills fuel economy. The lower floor makes getting in back easier as well. FWD is a dream where you get snow too. You can get a small diesel version as well. Ulgy yes but better in every area then the sprinter or the 80s and 90s B series.

I deliver mail everyday in a Grumman LLV wich has to be the ugliest thing ever made but there is nothing better for delivering mail. It is a purpose built machine to do a job. I think of things like that as something NASA would make. They don't care what something looks like, it just needs to do its job well.

Load some band equipment in an old van and Compare that to a new one and see how much better the load in height is less bashed shin's and way better seating position .

-
Back