Whats with this upper control arm???

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Take a look, it looks like there has been a "L" shaped bracket welded on the drivers side. It doesnt look like it has been bent or twisted, I cant figure it out. Im almost ready to paint and Im wondering if I should cut it off 1st. Pass side doesnt have this...whach y'all think??

Attachments

• DSCF0142 (Medium).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 614
Looks like maybe someone welded it there because the arm had so much adjustment done on it to get the alignment right that the rubber bumper was missing the arm, so the plate extends the surface for the bumper. That's going out on a limb, but I can't think of anything else it would be for.

I can see the threads, but just barely. My upper ball joints threads looked the same way, barely visible.

Yeah I hear ya about the threads, they are there but barely. We will see how the bj threads in, I may need to give it a little tack. The welds on the bracket sure are clean, but I think like 64physhy said, they "extended" the surface for the rubber bumper to hit. I will have to look at the LCA to see if there is any damage.

Ok, I dont see any damage anywhere else on the front suspension. Wouldnt the shock be in the way of the rubber bumper on the LCA, hitting the UCA?? I know I am missing something here...any ideas??

I,d just leave it and not worry about it,now the UCA threads,I,d be doing a few tacs kinda in a triangle shape for safety.8)

for some reason I think that is a factory performance part....i'm gonna go out on a limb and say off a hemi car....I could be wrong but it makes sence to have that on the drivers side of a car that launches as hard as the hemi cars do cause when they go up.....it'll hit the bumper area hard possibly bending the control arm in that area.....neat piece.....someone with knowledge of the hemi cars may recognise it and chime in

for some reason I think that is a factory performance part....i'm gonna go out on a limb and say off a hemi car....I could be wrong but it makes sence to have that on the drivers side of a car that launches as hard as the hemi cars do cause when they go up.....it'll hit the bumper area hard possibly bending the control arm in that area.....neat piece.....someone with knowledge of the hemi cars may recognise it and chime in

Really?? I got pics of before I blasted it, and there is a partial part #. I will have to do some diggin thru my parts cd.

Thanks Waggs

got the same uppers one has the ledge on it came from v8 dart not a hemi car
would be nice to understand the ledge thou if you find info out let me know

Take a look, it looks like there has been a "L" shaped bracket welded on the drivers side. It doesnt look like it has been bent or twisted, I cant figure it out. Im almost ready to paint and Im wondering if I should cut it off 1st. Pass side doesnt have this...whach y'all think??
All service part UCAs are made that way. the PN. is 21 or 22 something or other, which would indicate they started to use them in the early '60s.
I guess it's needed for the earlier app. and isn't, on the later cars. So, rather than make two different styles they just sold the earlier style part for everything.

All service part UCAs are made that way. the PN. is 21 or 22 something or other, which would indicate they started to use them in the early '60s.
I guess it's needed for the earlier app. and isn't, on the later cars. So, rather than make two different styles they just sold the earlier style part for everything.

makes sense. the weld looks too good to be made in a garage somewhere. looks like a production weld.

I just chkd my parts manual as I could only make out a partial number on the arm. Part # from my manual is 2071457. Pass side didnt have a "ledge"

I like Curtis's theory. Yeah. it's a HEMI control arm.

Steve, I bought a NOS set, L&R with part#'s, of UCAs with the welded angle like yours from a mopar guy a few years ago. He claimed they are for Big Block cars. I explained to him that I had never seen them before but he had a BB in his yard long ago with these UCAs. So that put me on a search and asked a couple of SUPPOSED A-body experts. These 2 guys NEVER saw them before either.
I checked my 5 BB cars and only 1 car has this type on the left side!!

That is a factory part so don't cut the angle off! Now I see one of these on your 340 car and adds to the whole confusion of what the heck they are!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, I bought a NOS set, L&R with part#'s, of UCAs with the welded angle like yours from a mopar guy a few years ago. He claimed they are for Big Block cars. I explained to him that I had never seen them before but he had a BB in his yard long ago with these UCAs. So that put me on a search and asked a couple of SUPPOSED A-body experts. These 2 guys NEVER saw them before either.
I checked my 5 BB cars and only 1 car has this type on the left side!!

That is a factory part so don't cut the angle off! Now I see one of these on your 340 car and adds to the whole confusion of what the heck they are!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave, the thread I linked is from a while ago, I left the angle iron on and installed bj. Thanks for the info, and like you said, just adds to the confusion...LOL

NOS with part#'s

Attachments

• upper1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 154
  • upper3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 158
-
Back