Wheel studs are causing problems!!!

-
But while I'm making an order from summit I'm still considering new rear studs anyways (shipping for just lug nuts will be pretty expensive as I live in canada). I found one that should work, .672" knurl and 3" long. The dorman studs have a .673 diameter knurl so they should fit nice and snug.

These are the ones http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/mil-86165/overview/

Reason I want new ones is because the old studs are already out and some don't thread too smoothly.

edit: I'll order the lug nuts and see how everything fits with them and go from there, getting ahead of myself!

In the future you might want to buy the matching lug nuts when you buy the wheels and you won't have this problem.

I should have done that in the first place, I really dont know why I didnt. Well I will in the future now.

Yes, get the 3 inch studs. I never run stock length studs with a thick flanged wheel. NHRA requires that the stud protrudes into the hex portion of the lug nut equal to the diameter of the stud. Even if you never plan on racing, this is a good idea.

You need to call the wheel company and ask which type lug nuts THEY recommend. There are several different styles of lug nuts, some are very similar types, but may not be exactly what that wheel requires. You could easily put yourself in the same as an airplane in the air with the incorrect wing fastener hardware. Lug nuts are not something to guess around on. You need the RIGHT ones for the wheel, or else......well....you may be sorry. You don't buy 3" wheel studs to correct a LUG NUT PROBLEM. That's not very smart.

You need to call the wheel company and ask which type lug nuts THEY recommend. There are several different styles of lug nuts, some are very similar types, but may not be exactly what that wheel requires. You could easily put yourself in the same as an airplane in the air with the incorrect wing fastener hardware. Lug nuts are not something to guess around on. You need the RIGHT ones for the wheel, or else......well....you may be sorry. You don't buy 3" wheel studs to correct a LUG NUT PROBLEM. That's not very smart.

That's what I did, I ordered the exact lug nuts made for my wheels, that is what I should have done in the first place. I guess I didn't really have a problem after all...

Of course he needs the proper lug nuts. I was suggesting that it would be a wise choice to also switch to the longer wheel studs at this time. With the wheels that the OP has, a stock length stud will probably just be threaded into the shank portion of the lug nut. A longer stud that extends into the hex of the lug nut will offer additional strength and security. Of course an open ended lug nut should be used. The OP has mentioned that he damaged some threads on his original studs so it seems to me that it would be a good time to make the switch.

I didn't say he should not replace a faulty wheel stud. Just that a 3" stud was most likely not necessary. I stand by it.

I didn't say he should not replace a faulty wheel stud. Just that a 3" stud was most likely not necessary. I stand by it.

I fully agree. Otherwise it would be a liability for the wheel manufacturer if their wheels would not work with the OEM parts. The wheel company would have to put out a notice with the wheels that you had to use the longer studs. If everyone had to change their studs to use the wheels, they would be able to sell many wheels.

Back when I was growing up we used shanked lugs on all aluminum wheels and they never fell of.

I fully agree. Otherwise it would be a liability for the wheel manufacturer if their wheels would not work with the OEM parts. The wheel company would have to put out a notice with the wheels that you had to use the longer studs. If everyone had to change their studs to use the wheels, they would be able to sell many wheels.

Back when I was growing up we used shanked lugs on all aluminum wheels and they never fell of.

Exactly. Lug nuts still come in a variety of shank lengths, too. I remember some of the Cragar SST wheels took a shank that was well over 1" long.

-
Back