Wheel/Tire selection help please ?

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
We're getting ready to order some parts for the Duster and would appreciate some advice and any suggestions are more than welcome..

The car will be used mainly at the track, with a limited amount of street use. We don't want to re-locate the springs or cut anything if we can help it.

The engine will hopefully be pushing in the neighborhood of 375-400 hp, transmission is a 727 w/ reverse pattern floor shift. The rear end is a 3:91 suregrip, and the axles are the stock small bolt pattern -- 4" right?

We wanna go with MT ET street drag radials, and either weld or centerline rims, and convert to 15'. Here's where we need some help and suggestions..

What is the biggest rear tire/wheel combo we can run with the stock suspension, and what back spacing would we need? Also, what sized rim/tires do we wanna run up front?

As always, thanks in advance for any replies !!

Kenny

you are probably gonna have to swap out the axles to the big bold pattern if you are looking to get new rims

Centerline has rims in the 4" bolt pattern like the ones you posted. You can probably get a 275-60-15 back there but I think a 255-60-15 is the safe bet. Both are available from M/T in the Drag Radial.

On my 71 Duster I've got 15x8 rear wheels with 3.75 backspacing. Street tires I run 295-50r15s, and I have a set of 275-50r15s on the same wheels. Leaf spring clearance is fine. I have an 8-1/4 with big bolt pattern. With the stock springs, they did rub on the quarter panel when I'd hit a bump, so I had to grind a little on the inside of the lip on the quarter panel. Now I have super stock springs and they don't rub at all.

100_0112.jpg

None of these cars are exactly the same. What will fit on one may or maynot fit on another. Best bet is to MEASURE. Go to a good performance wheel/tire store and they will have a measuring tool that will tell you what will fit. Don't guess and end up buying something that won't fit. It takes all of the fun out of it.

None of these cars are exactly the same. What will fit on one may or maynot fit on another. Best bet is to MEASURE. Go to a good performance wheel/tire store and they will have a measuring tool that will tell you what will fit. Don't guess and end up buying something that won't fit. It takes all of the fun out of it.

I'm definitely hearing that !! Trouble is the car is in the process of being torn down and can't get it to a shop .. Know of the proper way I can measure myself?

Thanks

I've got 275 60 15 m/t's drag radials mounted on factory rallye wheels which are 15x7 4" bolt pattern,on my '70 duster with everything still in the stock locations,they fit and look great..

I've got 275 60 15 m/t's drag radials mounted on factory rallye wheels which are 15x7 4" bolt pattern,on my '70 duster with everything still in the stock locations,they fit and look great..

That sounds good, got any pictures by chance ?? I've got 14" stock rallyes but wanna go to 15" rims..

Just a quick question.. Today I measured the distance center to center on the axle studs, and it's more like 3 3/4" .. I'm guessing that counts for 4" small pattern??

Thanks,

Kenny

This is 235/60-15 on 7" wide cop car wheels. I had consulted Stockton Wheel and they said this is the largest combination they would recommend on all 4 corners.

IMG_5334s.jpg

-
Back