Wheel tub removal and restoration?

-

Outsider

Reaction score
I have a car...PARTS car, that is really too solid to cut up. I fully intended to part it out, but it is a rare car that was loaded with all the goodies everyone seems to want. It is a '71 Demon Sizzler, and came with hood blackout, hood pins, painted racing mirrors, H-D suspension/rallye wheels, side stripes, rear stripe, and tuff wheel. It was a built to order car, and is pretty cool really. It was pulled out of a junkyard complete (with two bent rear frame rails) way back when, and turned into a race car that never got a motor. Anyway I intended to pull goodies off, and keep them for my '71 demon, but I'm no longer sure I want to junk this one.
Problem. The car has had a full rollcage, and wheel tubs installed...yes they welded this to a pair of bent frame rails, and I don't get it either. Since the rear frame rails, rear cross member, and trunk pan need to be replaced anyway, is there a reason it wouldn't make sense to go ahead and replace the sheetmetal from the floor pan all the way back? This would start at the step under the back seat, and go all the way back to the tail panel which is fine. Rockers are good...but cut back slightly, and one quarter is perfect...the drivers quarter has to go. Has anyone replaced this as one unit? Can it even be done.

Can it be done, yes.

Get cozy with a plasma cutter and spot weld cutter... LOL

I likely have a bunch of rust free panels to replace the rotted parts you need to replace.

-
Back