When is it whining?

-
Putting this to bed.

Trans arrived on time as per scheduled from the tracking number. Container looked as good as one could expect. No tears, punctures, gouges, etc.

Inside the box: Trans sitting comfortably it its foam halves. Sharpies like shift levers were poked through the plastic bag the trans was in. Hard to conceive THAT wouldn't happen. No biggie.

Some paranoia ensued.

With the trans in neutral, I could spin the input shaft fine. I could not STOP the output shaft with a finger stuck between it and the output seal. Probably another no biggie. Put it in ANY gear, and the input shaft would move from hard clunk to clunk, hard stops with a good 30º movement of the shaft. I thought: 1. That's a long ways to move the input, a LOT of play. 2. What's the clunks?

I'm not asking those questions here. They did come to mind as I was hand-clunking it in any gear. The reverse lever was 'forward' through all this.

I would expect a newly rebuilt trans to be pretty snug, minus the 30º movement of the input shaft. Do keep in mind that what I might expect is based on no knowledge of the process whatsoever.

At some point, something changed. I was just moving from gear to gear and trying to spin the input shaft. All Of A Sudden...the clunk-stops stopped, the trans moved, I could feel the 'gears' happen at the tailshaft.

Paranoia: Rectified/resolved. ...or just plain gone.

SO: The trans got here in really good shape (the box). The trans certainly is purty, and it spins around as it should with the necessary changes from innie to outie.

It's going in this weekend. If there is anything to note about it, I'll start another thread.

Thanks to everyone for their input(s). It all worked out well to this end.

The End
Cool. Glad you got it. They did what they said. So far.

So it has been said, so I have been told, so I have heard. There was a 'probably' in that part of the conversation, to be exact.

I have one'a those jacks. Problem is getting the car high enough to get the jack AND trans rolled out from beneath OR back in. Been there....

I'll guess a 'california turnaround' is similar timewise to a 'new york minute'? Nope. Won't be doing that. I'll hang onto mine for a LONG while.
Cut 2x4’s in 12 inch sections, stack and nail to make tall wheel stands

Putting this to bed.

Trans arrived on time as per scheduled from the tracking number. Container looked as good as one could expect. No tears, punctures, gouges, etc.

Inside the box: Trans sitting comfortably it its foam halves. Sharpies like shift levers were poked through the plastic bag the trans was in. Hard to conceive THAT wouldn't happen. No biggie.

Some paranoia ensued.

With the trans in neutral, I could spin the input shaft fine. I could not STOP the output shaft with a finger stuck between it and the output seal. Probably another no biggie. Put it in ANY gear, and the input shaft would move from hard clunk to clunk, hard stops with a good 30º movement of the shaft. I thought: 1. That's a long ways to move the input, a LOT of play. 2. What's the clunks?

I'm not asking those questions here. They did come to mind as I was hand-clunking it in any gear. The reverse lever was 'forward' through all this.

I would expect a newly rebuilt trans to be pretty snug, minus the 30º movement of the input shaft. Do keep in mind that what I might expect is based on no knowledge of the process whatsoever.

At some point, something changed. I was just moving from gear to gear and trying to spin the input shaft. All Of A Sudden...the clunk-stops stopped, the trans moved, I could feel the 'gears' happen at the tailshaft.

Paranoia: Rectified/resolved. ...or just plain gone.

SO: The trans got here in really good shape (the box). The trans certainly is purty, and it spins around as it should with the necessary changes from innie to outie.

It's going in this weekend. If there is anything to note about it, I'll start another thread.

Thanks to everyone for their input(s). It all worked out well to this end.

The End
Sounds good get it installed and half past four you will be shiftin gears

Not quite to bed, yet...

If I was reading a similar post, I would want to know what happened...and that point might as well go here.

Put it in a couple days back. Had some help with it, which was great for me! It went in without much fuss.

No big surprises. My shift arms sure fit snug. In fact, I could NOT get them on without using nuts to squeeze them to their seated position. That was a tad worrisome...not wanting to hurt anything in the process. I fergot to put them on with the trans out of the car, so installed them with the trans in-situ.

Did a run-in, on stands, in neutral for a long bit, then off for a drive.

I don't know what a 'new' transmission feels like. Have never driven one. This one is STIFF...but I expected that. I did feel the synchros stop on the cones in 2/3 before the gears actually meshed a few times, but I have NO issue/question/problem with that. That will change as they seat. So far, in the short amount of miles put on it over a couple of days, the 'feel' has improved a LOT.

Again..I am not asking any question, not griping or moaning about ANYthing at all regarding the operation of the tansmission. Just sayin' what is...and it's normal I'm sure. I expressed concern over how things were going with this transaction (what started this thread), and I want to be sure to leave ZERO space for anyone wondering how it all worked out.

I'm tickled with it right now. I understand full well that 'things happen' in regard to the rebuild itself. I have absolutely NOthing of any bad sort to say about it. Not a whit of a bit. Quite the opposite, as things turned out. I appreciate the man's work for sure!

Oh my! Did I let a clue slip? The rebuilder is a MAN? ;) I WILL tell you it's not Lite Brite!

An answer:

Cut 2x4’s in 12 inch sections, stack and nail to make tall wheel stands

I did that. Used 2x6" bits anyway. That still makes using a floor jack iffy. Things just get too tall for a floor jack as such jacks have a LOT of arc going up. Things move.

-
Back