Where do these connectors go?

-

71Demon340

Banned
Reaction score
Motor was already pulled from car and I can't find these on the wiring diagrams I have. The only ballast I see on the wiring diagrams is the ignition ballast.

First pic - Where does the black wire coming from the left side of the left ballast go? Where does the wire coming from the top left wiper motor bolt go? Funny little capacitor thingy.

2nd pic - Wiring to alternator - I know the large black wire goes to the gold post with the nut. Where does the blue wires go? Where does the green wire go? Looking at back of alternator, my choices are spade at 12 or the spade at 2 o'clock. Then there is the small brown (possibly purple) wire. Does this go on the small post at 11 o'clock? Pic of alternator included for ref.

3rd pic - Going up the same wiring harness toward the firewall there is a blue wire coming out of the harness next to a plastic clip. What does this go to? Coil positive? Wiring diagram says coil pos shoud be brown, but don't have a brown wire available. Also, what does that plastic clip attach to?

Thanks.

IM000558B.jpg

DSC01121A.JPG

DSC01123A.JPG

DSC01122A.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/tools.htm
71DartA.JPG

Follow this link, you should be able to find the diagram you need to explain whats what!

I'm sure someone can identify the color wires by year of your car, I'm looking at the 71 print and see some differences from what your showing like the black wire off the ballast, according to the print there should be a brown on one side and possibly a dark blue on the other side?? Better someone in the know for your year answer up!
Joe

Thanks. I already have that diagram but it didn't help much. I see the wiring to the alt, but doesn't tell which spade is which or show the small post. I also see the brown wire to the coil but I don't have a brown wire.

The black with a ring terminal goes on alt battery post where those tags are. Green field wire with female space goes on either field terminal. The blue wire that goes on the other field terminal is missing from your harness. If you go with electronic voltage regulater and the alt you have there you'll need to add the blue wire. Or stay with the early one field wire type system and ground the second field terminal on the alt.
The 2 together in the female round I dont recall. The black with 90 dgrees female round is weter temp sender.
Thts a noise superssion capasitor on the wiper motor but I'm not sure where they connected it.

Second pic, double blue wires with the female spade connector looks like it is missing the cover but if I remember right it should goto the other field on the Alt and one of the wires should go back to the electric choke on the carb.

Pic #1 appears to be the condensor for your coil, it connects to the (+) on the coil.

Pic #2 hope this helps, the red wire with the 90* elbow is your water temp sending unit, top front of intake.

Pic #3 mine is unused also, it slides on the valve cover tab. Looks like the is a resistor built in this wire.

Here are some pics I just took from my '71 Duster 340.

OK I think I got some of it:

Green - field on alternator
Double blue - field on alternator
Small wire with 90 - water temp sender
Blue in middle of harness - electric choke (not used)

Still not sure about black wire on ballast and wire coming from wiper motor bolt. Why would the condenser be outside of the distributor. Is there another wire that connects to the + side of the coil?

Thanks for everyone's input.

My condensor (if that's what it's called ?), I removed from the wiper motor mounting, as I found that wire short and mounted it right close to the coil, connected to the (+) side.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the good pics 340 butterduster. Is this connected on the same side of the coil as the brown wire? I can't tell with the plug wires there. Do you know if that "condenser" would still be used if converting to the MP Electronic Ignition setup?

Yes the brown (tan) wire is on the same side (+) the (-) side is a blue wire.
This is a factory electronic ignition car, so yes for the "condensor" also.

All the best

-
Back