where to buy small block to slant adapter?

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
I have heard of people meationing that there used to be a slant 6 to small block mopar adapter plate to mount a small block trans to a slant

does anyone know of a company making these?

I have heard of people meationing that there used to be a slant 6 to small block mopar adapter plate to mount a small block trans to a slant

does anyone know of a company making these?

New one on me but Lord knows I don't know everything. Most likely it would be cheaper to just get a good tranny even if and adapter was available.

They were factory on some Dodge trucks. A few guys are using them over on slantsix.org ,try low starter mount transmission adapter plate in the search and you should come up with some threads.Also a guy that goes by "Doc" had some for sale at one time.
Also "Dart270" used one and put a A-500 overdrive in his 68 Dart

Why? For one, I don't see a benefit, unless your trying to install OD, and second it would cost more than using the correct transmission, if your still rocking the 3 speed.

Good info! By the way,some chebby trucks,used the 833 od trans,in the early 80's.Just something,I found another thread.

They were factory on some Dodge trucks. A few guys are using them over on slantsix.org ,try low starter mount transmission adapter plate in the search and you should come up with some threads.Also a guy that goes by "Doc" had some for sale at one time.
Also "Dart270" used one and put a A-500 overdrive in his 68 Dart

I love to learn but I am not a member at slantsix.org so how about providing a link for other that might have this same question in the furture.

I suck with computer stuff but will try to provide a link

In Dart270's post (if the link don't work) he states that the adapter came from a 67 Dodge truck and he found it at a swap meet for $20 bucks.Now this was in 2001 but I know that they are out there.

Good info! By the way,some chebby trucks,used the 833 od trans,in the early 80's.Just something,I found another thread.

Yeah, but so far as I know, they had a GM bolt pattern on the gearbox.

Wonder how many of those adapters are floating around?
I don't know but some a100 's with a slant and auto had em from around ohhh 66 67 i think. I had a 67 with that and tossed it when I put in the v8 :eek:ops:
then there is the trucks (I have not found a year range on them yet) and haven't heard what year it starts and stops at, but I'm still looking and hope to find one with the crank adapter with it. I want a 4 speed auto in my convertible, I don't need it but WANT it. I have a later model 904 that Im going to check out and see if it's a lockup or not,I'll use that setup for now . that is whenever I get around to installing the engine and trans back into the car

Try advanced adapters. They make adapters for just about everything. Worth a shot

Try advanced adapters. They make adapters for just about everything. Worth a shot

just tried em and no go on the adapter. I did send an email requesting that compo but after looking at some of the prices 400.00-500.00 for a piece of billet with out a crank adapter is a little steep.... especially for a slant adapter. I'll stick with looking for a used unit or try to talk Didiot over at slantsix.org to make a run if he get's enough requests.

I found a bit of information on this. Moving the motor forward is part of the process so there is alot more work and cost of parts after you locate them. Unless you are trying to get to an over-drive it looks like a lot of problems.

Why? For one, I don't see a benefit, unless your trying to install OD, and second it would cost more than using the correct transmission, if your still rocking the 3 speed.

this wouldn't be going into an A body, I have a dodge dakota that already has an A-500 (same as 904 but overdrive) and the engine is gone, its 3.9 v6 and I already have a v8 dakota so I figure I would go /6 with this one for a neat factor

doesn't need to be fast or win races or put down record fuel economy numbers, just want something different

I have two /6's and one that was given to me tonight thats completly rebuilt to make a third

this wouldn't be going into an A body, I have a dodge dakota that already has an A-500 (same as 904 but overdrive) and the engine is gone, its 3.9 v6 and I already have a v8 dakota so I figure I would go /6 with this one for a neat factor

doesn't need to be fast or win races or put down record fuel economy numbers, just want something different

I have two /6's and one that was given to me tonight thats completly rebuilt to make a third

Will there be enough length under the hood to move the mounts forward for the adapter and for the /6 engine to fit?

Will there be enough length under the hood to move the mounts forward for the adapter and for the /6 engine to fit?
most likely the trans will go Back since your talking a 518 or 500 trans. You will have to make up a drive shaft anyway, so why move both pieces?( the one I had was about 1 1/2 to 2 inched thick and HEAVY iron) but I wish I'd have kept it now.
just modify your trans tunnel, modify & stiffen/change the torsion bar area that goes over the trans and make a new mount for the trans. that is if it's going in an Abody. I've done one in a 80's truck and it was pretty much a done deal. removed old trans put in adapter and added a 727 to the mix weld plate to trans mount and redrill some holes and yeah I had to get a new drive shaft for the guy. .....hmmm I wonder if he's still got that truck.

if it's a truck your clearance just jumped up a lot.

plenty of room to move transmission back some, I will shorten the driveshaft about 1-1/2 or 2" and move the engine mounts forward, enough room under the hood but may need to run an electric fan either in front of the radiator or where the normal fan fits

most likely the trans will go Back since your talking a 518 or 500 trans. You will have to make up a drive shaft anyway, so why move both pieces?( the one I had was about 1 1/2 to 2 inched thick and HEAVY iron) but I wish I'd have kept it now.
just modify your trans tunnel, modify & stiffen/change the torsion bar area that goes over the trans and make a new mount for the trans. that is if it's going in an Abody. I've done one in a 80's truck and it was pretty much a done deal. removed old trans put in adapter and added a 727 to the mix weld plate to trans mount and redrill some holes and yeah I had to get a new drive shaft for the guy. .....hmmm I wonder if he's still got that truck.

if it's a truck your clearance just jumped up a lot.

dodge dakota but it is a truck, just not as much room as a d-150 but workable compared to and A body

my dakota is 2wd so it has coil springs and I am able to move the tranmission crossmember rearward some

There is a fellow on the /6 board that has a Dak w/ a /6. I can't remember his handle. He's a professor in Va. Nice guy. From what I remember they had to move the firewall back to use the stock mount locations in the frame. Think of a 4cyl Dak with 2 cylinders added to the back.

-
Back