Which aftermarket Auto shifter to use?

-

fastback383

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda with a automatic on the floor with a console. I should also mention I have a Cheetah reverse pattern manual valve body in my 727. I went to the track yesterday expecting some good #'s with the new motor, after spending $80 to get in , (took my brother and kids ) Payin a sitter for the other 2 kids , gas and lunch I figure I wasted about $150 or more .Then waiting 1 hour to finally get a pass in. I got surprised by a pro light (pi$$ed me off left at a idle) was waiting for the progressive yellows , not all of them at once . Then I shifted past 2nd right into 3rd, realized my mistake shifted back int 2nd and finished the run. Ran a 13.92 . After much more waiting time in the lanes second run was worse , could not get the damn shifter into 2nd, it hung up , I was shiftin at 6,000 rpm , so it took me a bit to finally persuade it to go into 2nd gear, meanwhile the MSD rev limiter chip was doing it's job a 6,200 rpm . So it only went a 14.4. After these 2 catasrophies I packed up and went home. Extremely pi$$ed off. So my conclusion is , I need a aftermarket shifter. I do not want one, I do not particulaly like the looks of them. But I do not want to be embarassed like that again. My question is ? What are you guys using ,and which one can I use that will do the least amount of damage to my console ? Of all the ones I have looked at on the net I think I like the Hurst quarte stick the best. The one with just the white ball on the handle, is anyone using this one ???

Thanks Dave .
thebeatgoeson.jpg

aka fastback383.
107_0715.jpg

We have the B & M Pro Stick in my sons Dart and have not put the cover on it yet. Dont know if it will work with your console but we love it. It dont cost to much and man does it shift smooth and easy. Its so easy to use and you cant screw up any gears either. I will always use it as I really like it for the price. Ron

32407893.jpg

Mike , did you mount it with a console ? Or right on the floor. That B&M looks like the Hurst Quarter stick that I like Ron. I just do not want to cut up the console.The cost of some of those things make me sick though, awful expensive for what you get .
picture0044xd.jpg
One of my proudest moments ! Right here, especially with my wife and kids laughing at me.

fastback383 said:
Mike , did you mount it with a console ? Or right on the floor. That B&M looks like the Hurst Quarter stick that I like Ron. I just do not want to cut up the console.The cost of some of those things make me sick though, awful expensive for what you get One of my proudest moments ! Right here, especially with my wife and kids laughing at me.

:-& :vom: :shock:
whoa..

I just ordered the Hurst Quarter stick. I hope I can fit it in the console so it looks OK.
I really did not want to go to a aftermarket shifter but due to all the problems I had at the track , I feel it is needed. I wasted all that money on Saturday just to have a crappy shifter ruin my day. What I wasted on Saturday would have half paid for the shifter to begin with. Oh well , live and learn . Thanks for the input guys !.
fastback383.gif

No reverse pattern valve body but I like my Hurst Pro-Matic 2, I mounted mine up through the console, I used the upper trim peice only because the console had perviously been cut by someone for a 4 speed. I had to build a plate to raise the sifter up from the floor pan. If you built the plate to the right height and measured twice you should be able to run a shifter up through the stock console slot. and not have to cut it up, or pick up a cheap con sole thats been cut already and save your good one.

heres a pic http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/stalks/Duster/Duster11.jpg

If i am correct in that you're using the factory console and shifter, why didn't you purchase the Turbo Action FORWARD manual valve body? That's what i have in my duster with a console and it works great. Sell the reverse VB, buy the forward one. Lots cheaper than an aftermarket shifter, not to mention it looks stock, so prying eyes won't know what you're running.

Don

71 Duster , the link would not work for me. Dusterdon , I bought the valve body used, but it had never been installed. So it was a very good price. I rebuilt the trans myself and it is working very good. I really do not want to monkey with it.It is not a big deal to put a shifter in. I would rather do that then put another valve body in. Besides , I prefer the reverse pattern, I just am not happy with the way the factory shifter is working.. fastback383.
383barracuda1rc.jpg

P.S. Adam if I had as much cash as you I'd have one of them shifters too !

B&m pro stick---same as hurst---i think? I also have the cheetah rev. man. v/b. B&M has a rev.pattern kit for this shifter it works great. also use the rear cable exit kit--- you will have to make a bracket for trans but it gets the cable away from the header heat.

Turbo Action Shifter. The only shifter i will buy. Have used them in several cars and love them.

71 Duster . What a beautiful car. Nice job man. Nice and neat. I like those protective boots around the wires, mine having the 383 in it and just running old B body headers could use boots like those. The wires are actually rubbing on the headers . That is how I would like my shifter to look. Almost like it came that way from the factory. I like the sleeper look. Actually last Saturday it was still still sleeping at the track. I have ordered the Hurst Quarter stick, I pick it up today. Thanks guys ! Dave.
A picture of my cyl headwork !
11010179uu.jpg

Khyron said:
I'm looking at the B&M megashifter, anyone else use one?

I used a few of them. 1 in my RoadRunner and 1 in my 91 Z28. Could never get the things adjusted right.

Thanks fastback, I know what you mean about hideing the shifter and even useing hurst upper cover it sorta looks like it "belongs" and doesnt jump out at you. I had a local welder built me up a nice plater to raise the shifter up a few inches. The plate he built was almsot too nice to cover up! But I know my shifter wont ever move.

Alsways odds and ends I am sorting wit h the car, its currently on stands minus the torqueflite as its being rebuilt AGAIN this time going all out kevlar bands redline clutches etc. But no fancy valve body. I did ditch my stock kickdown linkage for a lokar cable and an AR throttle bracket to hold it all.

Next year paint and cragers! -I hope-

I have a 68 Barracuda with a automatic on the floor with a console. I should also mention I have a Cheetah reverse pattern manual valve body in my 727. I went to the track yesterday expecting some good #'s with the new motor, after spending $80 to get in , (took my brother and kids ) Payin a sitter for the other 2 kids , gas and lunch I figure I wasted about $150 or more .Then waiting 1 hour to finally get a pass in. I got surprised by a pro light (pi$$ed me off left at a idle) was waiting for the progressive yellows , not all of them at once . Then I shifted past 2nd right into 3rd, realized my mistake shifted back int 2nd and finished the run. Ran a 13.92 . After much more waiting time in the lanes second run was worse , could not get the damn shifter into 2nd, it hung up , I was shiftin at 6,000 rpm , so it took me a bit to finally persuade it to go into 2nd gear, meanwhile the MSD rev limiter chip was doing it's job a 6,200 rpm . So it only went a 14.4. After these 2 catasrophies I packed up and went home. Extremely pi$$ed off. So my conclusion is , I need a aftermarket shifter. I do not want one, I do not particulaly like the looks of them. But I do not want to be embarassed like that again. My question is ? What are you guys using ,and which one can I use that will do the least amount of damage to my console ? Of all the ones I have looked at on the net I think I like the Hurst quarte stick the best. The one with just the white ball on the handle, is anyone using this one ???

Thanks Dave .
thebeatgoeson.jpg

aka fastback383.
107_0715.jpg
Fastback383, I was out playing with my Duster today and it was doing that. it is happened several other times before. I've got a pretty stout 727 with Kevlar front band a shift kit, a 2200 Mopar stall. Shifter causes me to miss shifts.

16 year old thread back on top. lol

-
Back