which cam for stroker?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
gentleman

which size cam would you recomend for a 416 stroker motor? i currently have a comp cam xe268 477/480 lift and think its a little undersized? im looking at the "thumper series"? any thoughts on size or experience here for guidance. stock x heads, performer rpm intake, 750 cfm vac sec carb, 355 gears. just looking for strong street cam.... thanks.

do your self a faver and call the cam co. tell them evry thing about it and what you expect or whant you whant to do with it..thats what I do I have a shelf full of cams that were sapost to be good.....just tring to help

Brian at IMM (user OU812) can set you up with a cam. He had one ground for my engine. Send him a PM.

best to call like stated above, but i think a 268 is very small in a stroker, thats a nice upgrade cam in a mild 318/340.

gentleman

which size cam would you recomend for a 416 stroker motor? i currently have a comp cam xe268 477/480 lift and think its a little undersized? im looking at the "thumper series"? any thoughts on size or experience here for guidance. stock x heads, performer rpm intake, 750 cfm vac sec carb, 355 gears. just looking for strong street cam.... thanks.

Use the mutha thumper cam. Perfect for what you want!

I saw your other post. IMO, I think you should be looking for something closer to the XE274H as a starter. However, as godfather said with your limited heads you may do better to call a custom cam company and see what they recommend. IMO, you need something with duration at .050 of around 250° but the lift will need to be kept mild with stock factory ports. You can go smaller, but these engines do drop off much earlier with small cams and carbs. The 750 dry flowed will work to about 5500 with your combo and I think that might be fine for your build. If you had more head I'd say go with a wet flowed 870cfm carb as bigger will make more power. Smaller will work.

thanks for the feedback. brian mentioned and suggested the "mutha thumper". any thoughts on that knowing there specs? im leaning towards something like that but not against a custom grind. im really cam clueless here lol....

something in the 280-290 duration and 550 lift is a ball park.

spend the money and get a roller
and yes call the cam company
too many people get crazy with cams
remember you need vacuum
if you have power brakes

the cam I have in my 408 stroker, is not too big...I have hydraboost brakes, so I don't have to worry about vacuum. lol

But my hydraulic roller is small, at least I think it is.....Its a custom hughes grind...576/576 lift and a 254/256 duration at .050. and a 110 LSA...don't know how it sounds yet. I hope it will have a nice chop to it...

thanks for the feedback. brian mentioned and suggested the "mutha thumper". any thoughts on that knowing there specs? im leaning towards something like that but not against a custom grind. im really cam clueless here lol....

Just go to www.compcams.com and look up the mutha thumper cam. In any hotrod, I always recommend running a vacume canister to help with power brakes. This cam is not hard on valve train, and is nothing crazy it just flat out works!

Just go to www.compcams.com and look up the mutha thumper cam. In any hotrod, I always recommend running a vacume canister to help with power brakes. This cam is not hard on valve train, and is nothing crazy it just flat out works!

There are others out there running that cam in 4" stroke small blocks and they say they make some real good power and sound good too.

Here are the specs on the hydraulic roller cam Brian ground for me: 586/540 lift intake/exhaust, 236/242 @ 50 duration, 108 Lobe Separation Angle. It has a very small base circle to make the lifters work with the sloppy factory block. My car is a factory manual disc brake car. Its a pretty rough idle but throttle response is instant, tons of low end torque, and pulls very hard up top too. I still get a big rush stepping on it even after 1 1/2 years its been in there.

thanks for the replys. some mention some pretty big lifts!! should i be concerned about piston to valve clearance issues with that much lift? i have dished 9.1 pistons and the heads never been shaved. whata ya think??

Personally I am uneasy going with a fast ramp-high lift cam. Sure they make big power but how long do they last?

I pulled a stock 340 cam out of a 1972 340 motor a few weeks back. Had the stock pistons but shop want to go .040 oversize to clean up the cylinders. The camshaft has no flat lobes--all look ok to the eye.

I found an old never used Crane Cam on Ebay last week. Its 226-230 @ .050 and has .455-.465 lift. Should last a nice long time.

I have hear strokers like lots of cam.

There is a custom cam grinder name Mike Jones, he could hook you up. 2nd generation business, his father started the business back in the 60's and he has all the latest cam profiles--and early ones too.

I was running his cam he grounded for me in my 318 with 360 heads. Specs were 220 @ .050 on 111 LBC. It replaced my HE268 cam from Comps. Motor idle better and revved clean past 6,500. (BUT I'm getting low on cash so for $35 I got the Crane Cam. His prices are around $200 for a custom cam) He is on speedtalk-Camking he goes by.

I built a 408 with stk Eddy heads and Hughes recommended their HER2228 (IIRC) hydraulic roller which will still run power brakes. It is 228/230 duration at 0.050 and about 0.550 lift w/1.6 rockers. They said I needed head work to run a bigger cam and then power brakes would be out of the question.

thanks for the replys. some mention some pretty big lifts!! should i be concerned about piston to valve clearance issues with that much lift? i have dished 9.1 pistons and the heads never been shaved. whata ya think??

Are you sure you have 9:1? Most stroker stuff out there will have at least 9.5:1.

What piston? You might like the smaller thumper cam if you only have 9:1. You will love those cams. And they aren't big on lift, although lift is not what dictates valve to piston clearance...it's duration and opening/closing events.

As for quick lobes lasting a long time, we're talking street performance lobes...not racing lobes. Those old Crane lobes are LAZY and DIRTY!! You will give up alot of avg. HP and TQ using them.
I can't count how many I've taken out and replaced because customers were very unhappy with the peformance of those Crane cams. Last one I replaced was in a BB Chevy jet boat engine, guy got a good deal on this stuff...made 550HP. He was hoping for 600! I changed the cam, went with less Adv. duration, but more dur. @ .050 and more lift and picked up 45HP!!
Plus the TQ was up in some places as much as 50ft.lbs.! Talk about making a difference.

the cam I have in my 408 stroker, is not too big...I have hydraboost brakes, so I don't have to worry about vacuum. lol

But my hydraulic roller is small, at least I think it is.....Its a custom hughes grind...576/576 lift and a 254/256 duration at .050. and a 110 LSA...don't know how it sounds yet. I hope it will have a nice chop to it...

I Have 230/238 284/292 109 lsa in my 408 and still think it could be a tad bigger....using a magnum block with hyd roller cam

Lunati have made the best cams for my mopars so far..call them !!!!

Dan

I have the full roller mutha thumper on a 408. Engine dynoed at 570HP. Built by Joe Sherman Racing. Sounds great and backs it up. Very streetable cam.

yes ou812. after c.c.ing the chambers the builder felt we better be safe and stay with 9.1 compression. the pistons are diamond. well as i thought lots of different ideas and experiences. so you think the smaller thumper would work for me huh?? ill look further into that. wish i got the right cam to begin with but i already purchased the xe268 in anticipation of a stock 340 overbore and then we suddenly decided to go stroker for not much more money. threw it all off. well i appreciate all the input from everyone..... thanks.

-
Back