Which coolant and mixture is best?

-

Mr_Sancho1324

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I have a 318 from a 77 charger and since I'm new to mopar I'm not sure what coolant will be best. I am running aluminum parts so I figured using dexcool was best. I'm running a little hot so I'm
gonna change out the water pump for more flow. Any recommendations on which coolant to use and what water to coolant ratio? I'll also be using a water wetter. Thanks!

Oh I live in Vegas so not worried about freezing...just need it to run normal in 100+ heat. Thanks!

Hi guys. So I have a 318 from a 77 charger and since I'm new to mopar I'm not sure what coolant will be best. I am running aluminum parts so I figured using dexcool was best. I'm running a little hot so I'm
gonna change out the water pump for more flow. Any recommendations on which coolant to use and what water to coolant ratio? I'll also be using a water wetter. Thanks!

Oh I live in Vegas so not worried about freezing...just need it to run normal in 100+ heat. Thanks!

DO NOT run dexcool. If it aerates it will get chunky. There are class action suits against GM for Dexcool. You live in Vegas you don't need anti freeze. Anti Freeze does not transfer heat as well as water or water with coolant additive.

Read here for a real comprehensive test of anti freeze vs. various coolant additives: http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0703_turp_cooling_system_additives/test_results.html

From the test:
"For the best in overall cooling when mixed with water alone, Justice Brothers' Radiator Cooler takes the lead. Its cruising and freeway temperatures were the lowest, which is where we spent most of our test time."

Run Justice Brothers Super Radiator Cool p/n RC/22P and Cooling System Protector pn CSP/1P to better protect against corrosion of aluminum and iron components and better lubricate the water pump.

Thanks autoxcuda. Any idea were I can buy that?

705 Juniper Way
Boulder City, NV 89005-2129
(702) 643-1024

Call that distributor location above and he might have a local store that is close to you. I'm pretty sure there is a rep for Vegas proper too.

Boy can not agree more about the dex cool! stuff is a marketing scam by greedy GM. ive allways been a big fan of prestone but i read about the justin bros stuff and it looks amazing.

WOOO HOOO! running at 170! Distiller water + justice bros radiator supreme cooler and treatment = me very happy! THANKS AUTOXCUDA!

WOOO HOOO! running at 170! Distiller water + justice bros radiator supreme cooler and treatment = me very happy! THANKS AUTOXCUDA!

No problem.

What temperature were you running before? How much did it go down?

Isn't antifreeze/coolant necessary because it raises the boiling point along with lowering the freezing point?

It was running at 210 but I think part of it too was a faulty mr gasket hi performance thermostat. But even when I had a oem themostat it ran at almost 200. So I'd say it dropped it 30 degrees.

As far as coolant being necessary i've been told it's not.... By a few other people.

I actually spoke to Martin at Justice Bros (heck of a nice and helpful guy) and he said the same. He actually spent about 10 mins on the phone with me going over my setup and then suggested the products and what to run them with.

Now I'm just waiting on ther engine treatment... Supposed to help it run smoother, cooler, and reduce the tapping noise.

Oh and I also swithed to a hi flow flowkooler water pump.

It was running at 210 but I think part of it too was a faulty mr gasket hi performance thermostat. But even when I had a oem themostat it ran at almost 200. So I'd say it dropped it 30 degrees.

As far as coolant being necessary i've been told it's not.... By a few other people.

I actually spoke to Martin at Justice Bros (heck of a nice and helpful guy) and he said the same. He actually spent about 10 mins on the phone with me going over my setup and then suggested the products and what to run them with.

Martin is a great guy. And lucky for you, radiators and cooling are his speciality. He's worked in the industrial radiator cooling industry for a very long time. I bet you learned something about radiators too.

Did you call the Boulder City Distributor first, then Justice Brothers direct?

The Engine Treatment is a great ZDDP replacement. You need that with the flat tappet cams.

I called the Boulder City distributor and received no help. They couldn't tell me the name ofthe store that carried the products in Las Vegas and the chick put me on hold while she chit chatted in her other phone. ... Bad customer service. But with the little information and google I was able to find the place. Of all places it was sold at a hardware store.

I called the Boulder City distributor and received no help. They couldn't tell me the name ofthe store that carried the products in Las Vegas and the chick put me on hold while she chit chatted in her other phone. ... Bad customer service. But with the little information and google I was able to find the place. Of all places it was sold at a hardware store.

Sorry about that. I sent you in the wrong direction. My bad.

I run Evans waterless coolant with very good results; see here, here, and here for discussion and here for the company's website. It is costly but beneficial -- not only in terms of engine-cooling performance, but when there's no water in the cooling system there's no corrosion, and when there's no pressure in the cooling system all the hoses, solder joints, seals, and gaskets are under a great deal less stress.

What did Martin say about T-stats? the MR. Gasket hi flow was acting bad like yours so i removed it.

I run Evans waterless coolant with very good results; see here, here, and here for discussion and here for the company's website. It is costly but beneficial -- not only in terms of engine-cooling performance, but when there's no water in the cooling system there's no corrosion, and when there's no pressure in the cooling system all the hoses, solder joints, seals, and gaskets are under a great deal less stress.

hey dan. was thinking about getting this stuff for my dart. i read through those threads you linked to some and have a couple questions...

one. does it actually run cooler or hotter once in the car? you have me all confused with the two posts... sounds like the answer is it will run hotter on the guage.

Anecdotal/practical: The folks I've known long enough to know they're not BS artists, who have tried this stuff, report their cars run cooler with the NPG+ coolant than with ordinary coolant/water — without having changed to a different radiator, water pump, or anything else.

Coolant: 440_Magnum is correct, the reports of lower temp gauge readings with Evans NPG+ waterless coolant are nonsensical (or possibly the result
of other cooling system changes done at the same time, e.g. big new radiator replacing small old one). For any given set of conditions, the temp gauge will read higher, because there's more heat in the coolant (less in the engine metal).

with it running hotter ya think it will have any effect on the oil?

sounds like it doesn't freeze at anywhere near where any of our cars would be which is good.

what do you think about a car that pings on this new crappy gas. think it would cool or remove enough extra hear from the cyl. to help that? if so it may really help a lot of guys out don't you think?

think the stuff is legal on the race track? is it slippery like a glycol? does it clean up ok?

what happens if you have problems away from home, can you mix it with water if needed to get ya home in an emergency?

looking at the video on their site it looks like the only mileage improvement would be from raising the fan thermosat so it comes on later. with a regular mechanical fan do you see any difference in mileage?

Water removes/dissapates/transfers heat the fastest, the antifreeze besides the 'antifreeze' part is just there to raise the boiling point and protect against corrosion.

25% antifreeze, the rest water.

Or 1 gallon, the rest water.

-
Back