Which of these two 904's should I use?

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I will be doing a 5.9 magnum swap into my '67 Dart GT ragtop. The engine setup is not finalized yet, but it will be primarily used for street cruising, some tire turning, and some road trip use. I am guessing somewhere near 300 or a little better for torque and HP numbers. Rear end will be an 8-3/4 with 3.55 sure grip.

I have the following 904 transmissions to choose from:

1967, which is still in the car attached to the factory 273. Or, I also have a clean 1968 904.

Are they identical, or is one a better choice than the other for my application?

Thanks for the advice!

I would say neither one. I would look for like a 76 or something. I had my choice between a 68 and a 76 and the 76 had more clutches and seem to be for lack of better terms beafier.

I would say neither one. I would look for like a 76 or something. I had my choice between a 68 and a 76 and the 76 had more clutches and seem to be for lack of better terms beafier.

Are the cases actually different between 68 & 76, or is it just the guts that are different? I do plan to rebuild whichever one I mate to the 5.9, and will likely use a small performance upgrade of some sort.

Are the cases actually different between 68 & 76, or is it just the guts that are different? I do plan to rebuild whichever one I mate to the 5.9, and will likely use a small performance upgrade of some sort.
I'm not sure there was a huge difference in the case except for quite possibly like the servo size on one or two of the servos? It was more to do with how many discs each drum held and a few other parts in there like maybe the size of the reverse band or something? Like it was a triple band instead of a double? Again it just seemed like the newer version had a little more to it.

the 68 should be the larger torque converter register hub which is what you need for any 68 or newer engine. Also has a different spline count on the input shaft so no swapping older converters in them. I'm pretty sure all V8 904 cases are the same. The /6 case used a single wrap band and didn't have the reinforcement ribs on the outside of the case.

-
Back