Which oil filter?

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
Just ran out of the "old school" Mopar oil filters (white with red and blue stripes).
What brand do you guys recommend for my '68 340-S?
Filter model/size also helpful.

I'm running Valvoline VR-1 10w30 (dino) oil.

Thanks,Rick

Attachments

• filters.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 457
Ive used wix filters for a while now, the shorter ones so they clear the headers without having to run a 90 degree filter adapter.

Wix or Napa, both the same filter.
Stay away from Fram, there is a reason they only cost 2.49.

Appreciate all the advise…so which WIX filter is correct for my car?
Stock '68 Formula 340-S.

51515, 51515R, 51515XP?

51515 is the right one. 51515r is the 200psi rated race filter. 51515xp is the "synthetic" filter.

I use Wix and buy them from here.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=84099

The way to order changed slightly, so check later in the thread for the new method of signing in. Buy $50 in filters, free shipping in the US.

X2 X2 X2 There have been many discussions too about filter quality and Wix is very
good quality. I put an order in for filters for all my vehicles and got free freight. Don't forget air filters and cabin filters for your new vehicles. tmm

Wix 51515r with straight 30 oil, Brad Penn....the filter says not street use due to light filtering of the oil but that also means it flows better and that straight 30 oil needs it when the engine is cold.

I used to run not street legal 20-50 Val but they stop selling it, did not want any synthetic oil, so far everything is great, change the filter twice a year, around 3 or 4 thousand miles each summer with lots of freeway speeds now with 3,91 gears, 4,000 rpms for an hour and its happy happy and could go forever it seem.

I should get solid lifters for that 340, then I would not need to worry about a spec of dirt

I used to use K&N but thats more for 10-30 oil, the flow is more important, engine is rebuilt anyhow, that oil is clean enough...old old Mopar used to even recommend changing the oil filter every other oil change

Wix or Napa, both the same filter.
Stay away from Fram, there is a reason they only cost 2.49.

I have been using Fram for many many years on all of my High Performance Mopars and my every day vehicles and I have never had one bit of problems and Mike they do cost more than $2.49...lol.... more closer to $5.00

WIX 51068 is the proper OEM short style equivalent. 51515 is what I use due to it providing a slightly larger additional oil capacity.

-
Back