Which Piece to Save?

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy people, cosgig here. I’m in a bit of a quandary here, I have a 66 Signet sedan parts car that I’m chopping up, it’s in pretty rough shape. When it comes time to turn my efforts to the rear window, I’m wondering which part I should save. As far as I can remember, neither the window nor the gasket is being reproduced, and I’d like to save them both, but getting them both out without damage is going to require some extensive cutting. So, my question is simple....

1) the gasket is easily shippable, but it’s not fresh and new
2) The window is in decent shape, but getting it into the hands of someone who needs it is not going to be as easy as dropping it into a box

So, which one to save? Any input would be welcome and much appreciated! Thanks people, you’re the best!

Howdy people, cosgig here. I’m in a bit of a quandary here, I have a 66 Signet sedan parts car that I’m chopping up, it’s in pretty rough shape. When it comes time to turn my efforts to the rear window, I’m wondering which part I should save. As far as I can remember, neither the window nor the gasket is being reproduced, and I’d like to save them both, but getting them both out without damage is going to require some extensive cutting. So, my question is simple....

1) the gasket is easily shippable, but it’s not fresh and new
2) The window is in decent shape, but getting it into the hands of someone who needs it is not going to be as easy as dropping it into a box

So, which one to save? Any input would be welcome and much appreciated! Thanks people, you’re the best!

What's easiest for YOU?

What's easiest for YOU?

well, with a diamond wheel in my Metabo, I can get them both out, but that’s a lot of cutting. Not opposed to doing it, but I may be under a time constraint here soon, as the car is not able to come off the trailer, and I’ll be indisposed for a couple weeks coming up here real soon. Just wondering what potential customers felt was the harder piece to find.

Save your time & let it all go. You can't save everything.

My best offer.

space-force-2-bill-bill-only.png

I'm kinda worried on the virus thing. Would you mind storing it until I'm ready? Say 2024 ?

Is there something difficult about saving both? Is this a gasket with a lock strip to open up and then remove glass?

Is there something difficult about saving both? Is this a gasket with a lock strip to open up and then remove glass?

It is the biscuit style gasket, and usually pretty hard to get both out intact. I have another gasket I’d like to put this against and see if they’re the same, it’s been awhile since I’ve taken one out of a sedan. They don’t repop the sedan gasket so I’d like to save it if I can.

If you do manage to save the gasket, and have time to treat it every now and then, keeping Gojo on it will soften it up. Just wash it good when you get it out, and then rub Gojo (the real thing) on it, inside and out....it will soften it up. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't gojo have some petroleum base in it or something? That would breakdown the seal.

I'd save both. Both are equally hard to find being one year only parts. Usually the inside section of the gasket is fairly pliable. I'd use a putty knife to peel the gasket over the pinch weld. Once you get the top and most of the sides released, the assembly will come right out.

So your selling parts off my car? I haven't even paid for it yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't gojo have some petroleum base in it or something? That would breakdown the seal.

The older Gojo is what I used, and it's been a long time. Back before windshield gaskets were reproduced. The Gojo I used had a lot of lanolin in it, which is what softened the rubber seal, but I don't know about petroleum. If it did....I'm sure it's been legislated out by now because it harmed a 4 eyed Hamster living in a Eucalyptus tree somewhere!

The older Gojo is what I used, and it's been a long time. Back before windshield gaskets were reproduced. The Gojo I used had a lot of lanolin in it, which is what softened the rubber seal, but I don't know about petroleum. If it did....I'm sure it's been legislated out by now because it harmed a 4 eyed Hamster living in a Eucalyptus tree somewhere!
I bet 4 eyed hamster guts preserves a seal well.:D

-
Back