White smoke floods inside of car when I turn on heater.

-

66DartSedan

Reaction score
Yesm its cold outside, but when I turned on my heater for the first time, it began blowing white haze smoke ...freaked me out so I turned it off. What gives?

Yesm its cold outside, but when I turned on my heater for the first time, it began blowing white haze smoke ...freaked me out so I turned it off. What gives?

Did it smell like coolant, if so, you're heaters core is leaking. 65'

Did it smell like coolant, if so, you're heaters core is leaking. 65'
I honestly cant say, i did my best NOT to breath it in and opened the window ASAP. But damn, heater core is what Im reading on other sites as well.

Yup bad heater core. You might get lucky if you dont have a warm place to change it put in a tube of silver seal that you can get at an auto parts store. It will still need changed but that may get you by.

I found it on the Autozone web page part number ASBP24-12 AlumaSeal which is silver powder in a tube you dump in the radiator after the thermostat is open.

I found it on the Autozone web page part number ASBP24-12 AlumaSeal which is silver powder in a tube you dump in the radiator after the thermostat is open.
So that's a temporary fix until I can get a new one? Will it stop the leaking and smoke?

The hoses are under the hood. The smoke in the car would be from a bad core or if you were pulling/pushing on the hoses at the firewall you could have cracked a tube.

If it's that bad, the carpet should be wet, and you'll see the dripping along the bottom seam of the heater box. When it blows on your windshield, coolant will leave a sticky residue that is a total PITA to wipe off. It just smears and smears and smears.

If it's that bad, the carpet should be wet, and you'll see the dripping along the bottom seam of the heater box. When it blows on your windshield, coolant will leave a sticky residue that is a total PITA to wipe off. It just smears and smears and smears.
Ill check in the morning about the wet carpet...although it snowed last night so my snowy wet shoes will make that difficult, but thank you I will check out the bottom seam of the heater box...where is that located?

In my humble opinion, you might as well just replace it now. I have had very little luck with all those stop leak remedies. Some things just cry out to be replaced, and a heater core is one of them.

It should fog/slime you're windshield if you run defrost! 65'

In my humble opinion, you might as well just replace it now. I have had very little luck with all those stop leak remedies. Some things just cry out to be replaced, and a heater core is one of them.
So to replace were talking just the heater core here: and a hose here: ??

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 11.54.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 11.54.27 PM.png

So to replace were talking just the heater core here: and a hose here: ??

View attachment 1715125752

View attachment 1715125753
That's right. The metal tubes sticking out of the heater core in the picture are the tubes that stick out of the firewall. If you don't have factory air, it isn't too bad of a job to pull the heater box. Maybe 6 hours or so total. Do yourself a favor and pull the seat out. It will make the job a lot easier, and most seats are only 4 nuts to remove. Also lay down plenty of plastic/towels to protect the carpet.

That's right. The metal tubes sticking out of the heater core in the picture are the tubes that stick out of the firewall. If you don't have factory air, it isn't too bad of a job to pull the heater box. Maybe 6 hours or so total. Do yourself a favor and pull the seat out. It will make the job a lot easier, and most seats are only 4 nuts to remove. Also lay down plenty of plastic/towels to protect the carpet.
Yeah I dont have air, just heat.

You driving your car in NYC in this weather?

You driving your car in NYC in this weather?
Yeah can you believe it? Started up cold no problem today! See I got it to use for Tv/Film. This coming week I will be taking it to set so I'm running it daily, get everything warmed up and rolling.

Yeah can you believe it? Started up cold no problem today! See I got it to use for Tv/Film. This coming week I will be taking it to set so I'm running it daily, get everything warmed up and rolling.
The sealer might help. I have used Silver Seal before with good results. Although it's a band-aid fix it might get you by for now.

First of all don't ever put that stop leak seal crap in your car whatsoever unless it's like a snowstorm and you're caught in about to die or something and can't call a tow truck. You know that stuff gets all inside your block and everywhere and plugs all kinds of crap up! Have you cleaned the water jackets out of a block that's had that crap put in it too many times? Then you're always wondering why the things overheating after that because it's so plugged up with that crap! Just fix it right the first time and don't put that crap in it! That's Amateur hour. My-2

-
Back