Who has a KH sbp "non-power" disc in front

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Anyone have an OEM front disc nonpowered KelseyHayes setup on their car? Which master cylinder do you have? I want to convert back from drum brakes. Thanks

I have the OE equiptment manual disc brake setup on my 66 that was removed from a donor 67 Cuda. I used the master cylinder that is correct in application for a 69 Dart with manual disc. You will get a variety of responses that offer different options and I'm sure any of them will work, I am only offering the application I am using. It works for me!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_1121.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 308
Get a m/c for a 73 dart.
Make sure it has a large pod and a small pod. Don't care what George says in Indiana.

Having said that,you wouldn't believe the interchangeability
of the Chrysler m/c's.

Also if you can afford new,this would be the time.
Stopping is always good.

I have nonpower 4-piston KH discs on one A-body currently and on several A-bodies over the years. Your choice of master cylinder will have a big effect on pedal travel and feel. My preference is for a 1" bore, but these are getting hard to find since they were used only through 1970. '71-'72 got 1-1/32" for power and manual. Starting in 1973, options were 15/16" (with power booster) or 1-1/32" (without). The larger the bore, the shorter the pedal travel but the "harder" will be the pedal. The smaller the bore, the "easier" will be the pedal but the longer the pedal travel. Make sure to use a new (not "remanufactured" junk) master cylinder such as Raybestos MC36426, and choose your brake pads carefully; if the pad compound you use is too hard (semi-metallic, etc.) you'll have a very hard pedal. I like regular organic pads on this system.

I have two master cylinders for my KH 4 piston,one being the original and the other for 10" drums in an A body. Are these the same master? Look pretty similar.

Disc brake master cylinders are not the same as drum brake master cylinders. The disc brake master cylinder has reservoirs of unequal size; the reservoir nearest the firewall, which serves the front brakes, is larger. This is because as the disc pads wear, the fluid volume in the calipers increases as the pistons' resting position moves closer to the discs. So a larger volume of fluid is required in the master cylinder to make sure of adequate system volume. There's no such change in fluid volume at the wheels as the drum pads wear, because of the self-adjustors.

Another thing to be aware of: Master cylinders through '72 have a residual pressure valve behind the tube seat of the forward reservoir (serving the rear drum brakes). This keeps low pressure of about 5 to 10 pounds on the line to prevent air ingress past the wheel cylinder seals. The RP valve was deleted starting in '73, made possible by improved wheel cylinder seals. With the improved wheel cylinder seals, an RP valve is optional. Without the improved wheel cylinder seals, an RP valve is mandatory. You mustn't have an RP valve in the line feeding the disc brakes, or they will be always applied even with your foot off the pedal.

Disc brake master cylinders are not the same as drum brake master cylinders. The disc brake master cylinder has reservoirs of unequal size; the reservoir nearest the firewall, which serves the front brakes, is larger.

This is true! If both reservoirs are the same size you have a MC for drums.

I have the manual KH disc set up in a 1966 FS Barracuda and in a 1968 383 FS Barracuda. I had Stainless Steel Brakes rebuild the calipers. I run Hawk hps pads. I used new 1 1/32 master cylinders for 1968 Barracuda with manual disc brakes. Or ask for a manual disc brake master cylinder for a 1970-1972 Duster. I did not know about the 1 inch bore 1970 master cylinder, very interesting...

The 1" bore disc brake master was used from '67-'70 on A-bodies. There was no 1-1/32" bore master as original equipment on an A-body made before the 1971 model year. There is no "1970-1972" disc brake master; that's two different masters: '67-'70 with or without power, '71-'72 with or without power. Starting in '73 you had your different bore sizes for with vs. without power.

The 1" bore disc brake master was used from '67-'70 on A-bodies. There was no 1-1/32" bore master as original equipment on an A-body made before the 1971 model year. There is no "1970-1972" disc brake master; that's two different masters: '67-'70 with or without power, '71-'72 with or without power. Starting in '73 you had your different bore sizes for with vs. without power.

I think I like the 1 inch bore idea, I wish I would have known that when I set up the 66. Thanks...

-
Back