Who on here has used Galen's services?

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
I am curious since I have found some older posts on other boards (before the economy took a dump) about people waiting FOREVER to hear back from GG after they contracted his services to do fender tags, broadcast sheet decoding, fender tag decoding, etc. I just wanted to know from members on here who has sent their stuff to him and the overall impression they were left with.

I am just curious if he has rectified some of his business practices, or because things now are not as hectic they were in 2007-ish due to the economy if his timeliness has improved.

I know there is a wealth of information that is out there on cars, options and vin decoders, but it seems that everyone and their brother likes to be able to say "certified by Galen Govier".

I know I am perhaps kicking a bees nest, but please discuss. I know his focus is higher dollar BJ type cars, and the "lowly" A-bodies may take a back seat...is that the case?

Additionally, has anyone actually gotten a broadcast sheet for their car from him they thought was missing, or was not with their car when the bought it. I am sure mine is long gone, but I am clinging to a small shred of hope it is out there.

I have used him before and I do like the service but I always have to wait at least 1 year to get my info back. I am currently waiting on a decode of my broadcast that he has had 14 months. See ya!

His fender tag de-coding/ build sheet is a rip-off. You can find this info online for free.

Unless you plan on dealing with the BJ crowd, have an unusual car or a high-ender that you want to try and command top $, GG is a waste of money. Most of the people I know, including some high end hemi cars couldn't give a crap about the "certified by GG" thing. IIRC, there's been some legal wrangling going on with some GG certs of high end cars not being what they were presented as at sale/auction.

I have a friend that gave up on getting anything from GG, that was 5 years ago...

IMO, it's just another dagger in the hobby. From an informational standpoint it's nice, but to lend some credence and increased value, like the pope blessed a car, is foolhardy.

I used him, and it seemed to take forever to hear back from his people.
Don't know that I'd urge any of our guys to go to him. We are the red-headed stepchildren of the Mopar World, it seems.

I have half a brain and i can read.
I decode my own cars and assist others when needed.

He left a note on my car saying he may have taken a pic of my Vin and or fender tag. Guy wants to go around getting info from people for free then turn around and charge them for it. F that guy.

X5
Waited over a year for info on my '70 Dart, and then the most important thing I wanted to know, he omitted. When I called, he never got back to me.

I used him, and it seemed to take forever to hear back from his people.
Don't know that I'd urge any of our guys to go to him. We are the red-headed stepchildren of the Mopar World, it seems.

Try being an F body person lol

Galen is only one man and is very busy.He had the help of his wife but she passed away awhile back,so now he is really backed up.Galen started gathering info and researching the numbers along time ago when not many people cared about the numbers, and most people just thought of these things as just another car.So now many of you can decode your own stuff because of Galen.If you are going to have your car awhile,you are just curious,think it may be a odd ball,or its a high end car.I would have it decoded by Galen.I have had alot of my cars decoded by Galen even though I am pretty damn good at decoding myself.You just never know what you may find out once he has decoded it for you.I had a 1966 Charger 318 car nothing special about the car.Sent my info in and learned it was built very very early.It was one of the first chargers built.There were only two other cars before it.
Galen often gets bashed but he has done alot for the Mopar hobby.But everyone is right it will take along time to get your info back.

Jim

Does he have access to production records for Dodge and Plymouth cars from the 1960 and 1970? How does he get production figures for his reports on cars?

If my car came with a condom under the seat from the factory does that make it 1 of 1? lol... thats kind what it seem like. Been watching to much BJ I guess.

Sent some money to Chrysler Historical about my 66 Formula S Barracuda don't think they give break down on any type of production numbers.

No complaints here. I had my car decoded by Galen back in 05. Turn around time was approx. 6 weeks. I've known Galen since the early 80's when I was a member of the Mopar Muscle Club International. He was also a regular at all the major swapmeets here in Iowa.

I used his service first time back in the mid 80ies and I was very happy with his job. Talked with him some years ago regarding the DartChargers that had he just heard of once. I think he has gotten so much info to so many guys that it's possible to find that info on the internet too. That's the reason you can almost do a complete decode your own car.

He's like the post office(USPS). For years they had us where they wanted us. Now with all the other options to get and send out info there not needed as much. Im against anybody who thinks they can just do as they please and get back to (or not get back to) us when they feel like it. F BJ and GG.

Galen is only one man and is very busy.He had the help of his wife but she passed away awhile back,so now he is really backed up.Galen started gathering info and researching the numbers along time ago when not many people cared about the numbers, and most people just thought of these things as just another car.So now many of you can decode your own stuff because of Galen.If you are going to have your car awhile,you are just curious,think it may be a odd ball,or its a high end car.I would have it decoded by Galen.I have had alot of my cars decoded by Galen even though I am pretty damn good at decoding myself.You just never know what you may find out once he has decoded it for you.I had a 1966 Charger 318 car nothing special about the car.Sent my info in and learned it was built very very early.It was one of the first chargers built.There were only two other cars before it.
Galen often gets bashed but he has done alot for the Mopar hobby.But everyone is right it will take along time to get your info back.

Jim

I couldn't agree with you more.
Anyone who thinks he's a p.o.s. might consider the fact that he's spent COUNTLESS hours researching his info, and my hat is off to him for his dedication to the Mopar hobby.
That being said, he should hire someone to help him because the service is extremely slow. It took me almost 6 months to recieve my ''white books'' from him. They, however, are a great thing for any Mopar enthusiast to have.

I would imagine that he doesn't decode too many cars nowdays. Lots of that info is on the net for the average guy. He does authenticate cars for prospective buyers. That's not cheap either but if I was going to buy a so called original Hemi or six pack car I would pay him to look it over to make sure it was legit. He travels (either fly or drive) around the world to Mopar shows and although he gets paid to show up I'm sure there is out-of-pocket expense involved. Sounds like he needs a good secretary to keep things rolling smoothly. (if he can afford one) Galen is Galen and the services he provides are invaluable to our hobby. It's too bad some of you guys paid him and didn't get anything in return. He has done a lot for our hobby. tmm

I couldn't agree with you more.
Anyone who thinks he's a p.o.s. might consider the fact that he's spent COUNTLESS hours researching his info, and my hat is off to him for his dedication to the Mopar hobby.
That being said, he should hire someone to help him because the service is extremely slow. It took me almost 6 months to recieve my ''white books'' from him. They, however, are a great thing for any Mopar enthusiast to have.

He got most if not all the historical/decode info from a family in CA, IIRC. Has he continued to procure info since then, yes. It's not like he figured the decoding stuff out on his own with no codes to start with. He just marketed the info and continued to compile stuff after that.

His problems with providing timely info to paying customers started LONG before his wife passed away.

NOT bashing...he is a good source....he has collected much...and all of it is likely valid....and yes I said LIKELY...there are no manufacturer records to confirm his database of knowledge...hence it is a collection he has compiled from many sources. I recognize that he is likely the foremost knowledgeable man regarding Mopars. But as far as confirmed validated proof beyond a shadow of doubt....the ONLY place I know of that has THAT level of Data is the Pontiac Historical Society...they purchased the actual General Motors/Pontiac records....just before the fire that destroyed the GM warehouse that housed all this stuff.
SO while he is indeed foremost, it is NOT absolute. What you are buying into is a vast collection of data compiled by GG and it is very likely accurate as all get out... The MAN does know his mopars...you can't spend that many years compiling that much data and NOT have a lot of it stick!!
There has been controversy and I agree if you are NOT playing in the BJ / Mecum, level of restorations & auctions....WHO CARES?
If I was lookin to spend 1.5m on a convertible hemi cuda...I would prolly use his services and pay dearly for it....but I did my cuda for a helluva lot less than that.....and it stands on its own....pedigree's are for purists and in today's economy the dollar difference is nominal at best. Besides who would spend enough money to buy three perfectly restored cars for ONE, just because of the numbers? its silly and it is proving to not be a very SOUND investment!

besides if you did spend 1.5 mil would you take it ANYWHERE?? I am fairly certain I wouldn't...
I built my car to drive it and it does not matter to me WHAT ANYONE ELSE thinks of that, including the esteemed Mr G.

My Darts previous owner had Galen decode and register the car before I bought it. I would have bought it without the pedigree but it was just icing on the cake for me. I didn't have to second guess my purchase. tmm

-
Back