Who was making ignition insulator on valve cover

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
Who was making ignition insulators on valve covers on my 1968 340. Originals were 7mm and he was making 8mm size. If not available where can I buy stock ones? Sorry probably wrong part name lol.

RPM4.jpeg

classic industries had em..

https://www.classicindustries.com/s....com/shop/search/?q=Spark Plug Wire isolator#

they have both 69 up and 68 down

I got mine from classic industries they wasn't cheap for what they are tho. I got 2 just small plastic clips and it was like 40 bucks which I thought was ridiculous but they look original

classic industries had em..

https://www.classicindustries.com/s....com/shop/search/?q=Spark Plug Wire isolator#

they have both 69 up and 68 down

If you get stock ones, install them in a valve cover (preferably off the car) to hold them in place and drill them out a bit...

Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping the person that was making the 8mm ones on his 3D printer might chime in.

It's like the suppliers don't stock them any more. In years past they had white ones and yellowed ones that looked aged. I see the 2 wire 67 and newer Ines are out there.

I can make a keeper to your specs.

What I don't know is if my materials will hold up under hood.

Happy to give it a try.

FYI

At least on 67
The passenger side uses the 2 wire keepers and the driver's side used the individual ones on the wires

Are you talking 2 barrel?
I have 4 barrel and both are identical to each other.
PS, I can send a pr of oem ones to you, just send back when done
FYI

At least on 67
The passenger side uses the 2 wire keepers and the driver's side used the individual ones on the wires

Are you talking 2 barrel?
I have 4 barrel and both are identical to each other.
PS, I can send a pr of oem ones to you, just send back when done
Good catch, yep 2bbl.

If the OP wants me to make some I'll hit you up.

I have the ones from my 67 2bbl if they are the same.

If you get stock ones, install them in a valve cover (preferably off the car) to hold them in place and drill them out a bit...
I did this, by stepping up to the right size drill bit, then using a little round file to make it smooth.

Found them! Laysons has them. Sets available as well. WO-AX005 for the singles.

1695509538938.png

Those look identical to the factory ones on my 67 dart 273.

Interestingly the driver's side originally had separate round insulators that were never painted.

The dual type on the passenger side were painted.

Not sure the reason the factory did this.

I would say if your car has one of each type, then the valve covers arent a matched set. I don't believe either type.of insulator will fit on either type of valve cover. Insulators are VC specific.
Those look identical to the factory ones on my 67 dart 273.

Interestingly the driver's side originally had separate round insulators that were never painted.

The dual type on the passenger side were painted.

Not sure the reason the factory did this.

I bought these covers a year ago and they were advertised as 1968 340 covers. Are they? I don't know for sure but was looking for the correct look even though I have Eddy heads and Airgap intake. The covers had 2 painted Seperators that I replaced with the 4 new ones. I might buy another set to see if I can drill them out for 8mm wires.

I would say if your car has one of each type, then the valve covers arent a matched set. I don't believe either type.of insulator will fit on either type of valve cover. Insulators are VC specific
These are all factory, no way my dad would have changed anything.

It had the original top in the car when I got it!

The single round insulators fit into the round openings of the rectangular tabs on the valve covers

I bought these covers a year ago and they were advertised as 1968 340 covers. Are they
The wire loom attachments on the covers changed through the years but I could not tell you what a 68 should look like.

I can get you photos of my 67s

67 pass side
Forward wire loom
PXL_20231011_204403786.jpg

Rearward wire loom
PXL_20231011_204409381.jpg

Driver's side no wire loom

PXL_20231011_204429089.jpg

OEM factory installed pass side wire retainer painted with the engine

PXL_20231011_204347794.jpg

I changed out my 4 round unpainted wire insulators on the driver's side.

Last edited:
I think (think) the Charger/ Commando covers use the same looms as the regular covers for the same years. Photo #3 is the 67 covers that use the dual wire loom. Note the small hole in the bracket between the plug wire openings.

I don't know who's photo this is but the round ones on the driver's side is what I'm talking about.

Screenshot_20231011-143819.png

On my car the driver's side were not painted.

The pass side were painted.

Kind of makes me think that the factory did this to assist with plug wire install, round on the wires go to driver's side.

If you're saying yours are factory with 2 different insulators, then the "line person" was drunk which is quite possible, or they ran out of matched sets.

I don't know who's photo this is but the round ones on the driver's side is what I'm talking about.

View attachment 1716152668

On my car the driver's side were not painted.

The pass side were painted.

Kind of makes me think that the factory did this to assist with plug wire install, round on the wires go to driver's side.
That would be mine. It's a 66 with the original covers and insulators.

-
Back