Whos got snow?

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
sunshine.jpeg

Woke up to a foot of sunshine!

I'm stuck in this sunshine and it's supposed to be 77 today. My 12 year vacation in California is drawing to a close. Really glad to be moving out of here. Every fiber in my being is against the way of life here.

The moving truck is here and the Mopars are already moved back home (except for a Valliant in the chassis shop). We will get to Oklahoma on Thursday to high temperatures of 66 so I guess we're bringing the sunshine with us. We're moving back to my childhood home and will be remodeling it. 3bd / 2 ba / 2 car garage. I lived in it from birth up until I shipped off to the Navy. There is also a 24x24 pad to build another garage on. My parents built a new home just a few properties away.

Going forward we will be able to spend every Christmas, every holiday, with family. We are very blessed and thankful. We have been learning a self sustaining lifestyle with a large garden and chickens. Now we will have the land to actually have goats and pigs too. My Brother in Law is a cattle rancher so I'm not even going to worry about getting beef. We will be preparing for a larger row garden and will plant some fruit trees when the frost leaves.

I am going to try out my old church. My parents stopped going there years ago but I watched a sermon on video and like the pastor. The kids will be going to my old school. My daughter has been doing home school all throughout high school and she is a senior now and wants to graduate from there. My son is in his last year of elementary. They did go to school there for Kindergarten (boy) and 7th (daughter). We had bought out income property in 2017 and the wife and kids lived in it for a school year while I was still in California fighting fires with the Hotshot crew. They then moved back to Cali when I secured Forest Service housing on the forest next to the wilderness in 2018.

I will really miss fighting the giant west coast fires. It's hard work where assignments are usually 14 days of 14-16 hour shifts. You really bond with your crew in that environment. The new job is with Department of Interior- Bureau of Indian Affairs. It is a Prescribed Fire crew but we will do Initial Attack on wildfires but there just aren't as many in Oklahoma. I will still be able to occasionally take "single resource" assignments out west during fire season so I'll be able to get my big ripper fix.

The Mopar scene is big in Oklahoma so my involvement in Mopars will only grow. My Dad has a few and will be building a big shop soon. Without a big commitment to fire in the summers I will actually get to go back to Carlisle. I'm really excited to go with my Dad and son. Three generations Moparin' together.

Happy for you. Just disappointed we didn't get to meet up at some point.

IMG_20221225_115826473.jpg

There's been snow on the ground since late November Somewhere is a driveway, somewhere out middle right below the telephone pole is a road. Today is a blessing, it's finally warming up a bit. I've been dealing with frozen pipes for a week straight since the power went out last Tuesday at 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Yesterday I did something very funny trying to thaw out my kitchen sink pipes. Torch to close to the shut off valve. The plastic inside melted. So I went looking for another valve. My wife was taking a shower so I couldn't turn off the water... I figured I'd be good for a couple minutes, well after 10 minutes of looking I come into the water blowing straight across the kitchen to the oven and so that to me was hilarious but pretty dumb at the same time.

Anyone feeling left out and want some? Running out of room to push it. Plowed about a foot TWICE today alone and looking outside now you'd never know I was there...

20221225_114836.jpg

We got about 10" from that storm here in Minnesota Twin City area. We were spared the brunt of the storm.

20221225_164654.jpg

Stupid cold her for a few days, power flicked on and off a few dozen times but never lost power.Wind chill was minus 15 or 20 That is crazy for here espeially this early. We did get some cracked/busted pipes out around the barn. Frost free hydrants going in as soon as I can find some fittings, hopefully Mon.
Go-fish is excited and I am excited for you! Welcome home!
It will be 65 here Thur.

IMG_20221225_190039388_HDR.jpg
Not bad less than 2 feet but been 28 below with no wind chill figured in and for me been a mild winter so far.

Happy for you. Just disappointed we didn't get to meet up at some point.
There’s always MATS and Flings. My wife is from San Diego so we’ll be back out here a couple times a year.

I love it t when it snows in San Diego. It only snows above 4,000 feet and we’re at 3500. I get to enjoy it but not live in it. It has snowed at our location before but melts in one day. Oklahoma is a different story. It gets a lot of arctic air on the jet stream and will get a couple feet a year but we really get a lot of ice.

Some of you may remember last year I was supposed to take a job with the USFS National Grasslands in Decatur, TX. I applied there because it was only 2.5 hours from my parents. Wanted to be closer to home. Human Resources was taking over 6 months to do the transfer from National Forest to National Grassland even though they’re both US Forest Service. I ended up telling them I rescinded my acceptance of the job because fire season was starting out in California and didn’t want to leave my crew high and dry because our Engineer/driver went out with cancer and we didn’t have an other drivers besides me. It was looking like I might get a field promotion. On top of that, home prices spiked high in the Decatur area (Dallas/ Ft Worth) within that 6 month wait (like $100,000 spike)!

I kept praying on it and felt that maybe I made the wrong decision. Well, a job opened up just 30 minutes away from my home in Oklahoma with the BIA fire crew. Luckily, my parents have the old house still and are making us a killer deal on it. They could probably get 3x what they are making me pay them for it.

Now I know I made the right decision by rescinding on the Texas job.

D6EA3D17-FDBE-4E0C-8FF5-04283165AA81.jpeg

10 acres. House with the red roof is the 3 bed 2 bath is on 5 and there is a 5 acre horse pasture to the north. There is 10 acre pasture to the north of this property my dad has and he’s also got 40 acres to the southwest that’s a great honey hole for deer hunting and has a bass pond.

9/11 and the Navy took me away from this place 21 years ago. During my time out in the world I have seen and done a lot but I’m bringing a San Diego girl and my two kids back home in about 36 hours.

The only weird thing is that this is the house that my combat Veteran brother blew is brains out in. It was in the master bedroom where I’ll be sleeping. Thinking about getting an Indian medicine man to burn sage and wave the eagle feathers around or something.

View attachment 1716026421

10 acres. House with the red roof is the 3 bed 2 bath is on 5 and there is a 5 acre horse pasture to the north. There is 10 acre pasture to the north of this property my dad has and he’s also got 40 acres to the southwest that’s a great honey hole for deer hunting and has a bass pond.

9/11 and the Navy took me away from this place 21 years ago. During my time out in the world I have seen and done a lot but I’m bringing a San Diego girl and my two kids back home in about 36 hours.

The only weird thing is that this is the house that my combat Veteran brother blew is brains out in. It was in the master bedroom where I’ll be sleeping. Thinking about getting an Indian medicine man to burn sage and wave the eagle feathers around or something.
Good idea ..

A9B43169-DFDB-4907-B97A-BF06C960FF10.jpeg

We’ll, I asked for it. Our trailer left San Diego bound for Oklahoma two days ago and my wife and I are driving out in our two daily drivers now. I-40 is shut down. We were intending on making Grants, NM last night but stopped in Gallup due to heavy snow fall and my wife not being experienced in these conditions.

-
Back