Why are 318's low HP and torque?

-
Did you ever rebuild your 7.25? What kind of built 318 do you have in the car? Stock? Just trying to get a feel of if your HP and tq output is the same as mine will end up being....

I think I mentioned this, but it's worth repeating. The stock compression height on a 318 is 1.720. You can get aftermarket stock replacement pistons with a taller compression height. 1.741 is a popular replacement. Might not seem like much, but every bit helps. It helps more than you might guess. Those pistons can be had for under a hundred bucks if you shop around.

If you could get away with a rering job would you need to rebalance with these pistons since there stock replacements?

If you could get away with a rering job would you need to rebalance with these pistons since there stock replacements?

Naw. I wouldn't think twice about runnin um not balanced. They ARE balanced as a matched set, so it's not critical.

Take .010" off the block and .010" off the open camber heads .021" gasket and those 1.741" pistons got yourself 9.1:1 CR and .010" off 302 get almost 9.5:1 CR that's ain't too bad of a mod. I'm gonna do that one to my 5th Ave and port the heads and step up to 268 cam.

Will someone please tell me the HP and TQ of a stock LA V8 318 engine from 1987 out of a dodge van with a 2bll carburetor? No aftermarket parts. Thanks,

Don't Stress it man. You got a Lot of good advice from a lot of guys on here. Ive seen friend Stress it to much to the point the car seats for ever cause thay cant finish due to the cost of a good build! Start on your bottom end so its fresh. and get it running. you can all was up grade as time goes by. by that time the lower end is broken in. and you could throw what ever on that engine. and you can feel the difference with every up grade you do. Invest on some heads that are going to flow good and have a tighter chamber to get that compression you want. I Don't mean to sound like I'm Lecturing. Its just what we half to do when we don't have the funds and we just want it running.

I am painting the engine on my stand right now. Sooner than later itll be done. I am just making it look nice now. At least I can control that much about my build.

If you really want 302 heads, go to rock auto.com tell them you have like an 89 or so 5th Ave. W/ a 318. I just looked them up they're 424 and some change a piece. Sell your j heads and buy these heads they'll be ready to run.

I have the motor fully assembled and painted black. Headers, intake, carb, pulleys, ect. Just have to hookup the transmission and drop it in my car.

What are you using the car for? Street/strip? Weekend cruiser? I don't know where you guys are living but here in Oklahoma, 450 hp is more than enough for the streets.

This is a great read and a great explanation where the 318 was lacking. Basically compression boost (decking) vs. Head flow and valve size is where you will get your greatest increase.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/viewall.html

Street hotrod around town cruising and burnouts. Maybe the occasional donuts. But nothing extreme like drag racing. I'm just looking for a car that can get out of it's own way and sound really good when you cruise by the town folks.

Read that link. It is about getting 400+ hp with a 318 using new gen magnum heads and a little decking. VERY cheap build but great outcomes. I think 400 horse with 450 ish ft lbs of torque would be more than enough to play around town with.

Dakota

I'll look into it, but I think I've been back and fourth enough. I am going to make a little 318 run nice and smooth in my car while I look around for a 340/360 engine. Ill have a 727 transmission and an 8 3/4 rear end behind it whenever it's ready. For the mean time, I'm just going stock so that I can save for a real HP maker in the future. Thanks guys!

After reading this, I was thinking how much fun it will be when you build this motor and people ask "What's in it?" and you say "318." And they say "oh" as if disappointed. Then they hear and see it run. There will be a different "oh" then.

After reading this, I was thinking how much fun it will be when you build this motor and people ask "What's in it?" and you say "318." And they say "oh" as if disappointed. Then they hear and see it run. There will be a different "oh" then.

I really doubt they would be disappointed in your 318 when it smokes their 327 slowmaro, they will likely be more disappointed in their slow Chevy. Absolutely nothing is wrong with a 318, you can get one cheap and they can go fast if you do them right.

Will someone please tell me the HP and TQ of a stock LA V8 318 engine from 1987 out of a dodge van with a 2bll carburetor? No aftermarket parts. Thanks,

My books show either a 145/150 net HP rating or a 170 net HP rating.

Not sure what the difference is or how to tell.

...and remember crate engines and magazine builds are gross HP rating.

Does anyone know If I can go online and input my own specs from my build in order to figure out my HP and TQ without paying an arm and a leg to someone who owns a dyno? Not just stock ratings....

List all your spec's I got a dyno program I'll do it.

Does anyone know If I can go online and input my own specs from my build in order to figure out my HP and TQ without paying an arm and a leg to someone who owns a dyno? Not just stock ratings....

somebody might have " desktop dyno" or something similar, you can give em your specs, and they can look it up for you. just to give ya a little info, i read about a 318 build once on the net, they took a stock remanufactured long block, put on a factory 2bbl setup and with cheap 1in. 5/8 full length headers got about 180 horsepower. they ended up getting about 275 hp out of it with just carb, intake, cam, changes nuthing else. the cam that made the most power was the xe262 IIRC..

Bare bone Stock bottom end stock heads not 302's. 1979 LA 318 V8 engine. Performer rpm aluminum intake manifold, 650 cfm Four barrel edelbrock carburetor, headman drag headers, 727 transmission, 8.75 rear with sure grip posi.

Stock compression & cam i assume i'll run in my program tonight, a guess though 200hp.

Stock compression & cam i assume i'll run in my program tonight, a guess though 200hp.

273... Do you mind running my numbers through to give me a rough estimate?

600 Holley vac
Performer intake
Hedman Shorties on 2.25 duals w/ x-pipe
302 heads w/ .028" head gasket (gasket matched w/ 1.88/1.60 valves)
Comp XE268 cam

also:
2000rpm stall on 904
2.94 gears (trying hard to find 3.55 SG)

-
Back