Why are classic 4 door sedans "disliked"?

-
There was a thing even as a kid in the 70s where a 4 door just wasnt desireable. I remember being in high school, in the 80s and a guy had a 69 Chevelle wagon. I told him "its a neat car shame its a wagon..." just the way it was...or is LOL!

There was a thing even as a kid in the 70s where a 4 door just wasnt desireable. I remember being in high school, in the 80s and a guy had a 69 Chevelle wagon. I told him "its a neat car shame its a wagon..." just the way it was...or is LOL!
Friend of mine traded a very nice Cougar XR7 for a more door Chevelle with big tires and aluminum slot wheels. Told him he got ripped off in the deal. He totalled the Chevelle about 2 months later.

Porsche 4 door is the only one I can think I that I greatly dislike. Just looks wrong, and completely out of character for a Porsche.
I drive it! 4 doors and a ****-ton of power

I drive it! 4 doors and a ****-ton of power

I would be ok walking up to this:

FABO - Zuluman.jpg

Can't stomach walking up to this:

-65f05aeb3182d.jpg?crop=0.769xw:0.648xh;0.0850xw,0.jpg

But from the drivers seat, I suspect I would be ok with either.

I've heard that if you don't stop and look back, you are driving the wrong car. I couldn't stop and look back at the Porsche. I could stop and look back at the above A-Body and some other mordoor Mopars I have seen. Not all, but some.

I obviously have a bias against the Panamera.

When I was a teenager I didn't like four door cars. Now I love them. I guess it's something with age. When I got my first truck I wanted a regular cab short bed now I wouldn't buy one unless it was a 4 door. (Unless it's an old truck of course) I'd love to have a 4 door dart or Valiant or something like that now. When I was teenager I would even look twice at them lol. I passed up on my number one dream car when I was 17 because it was a 4 door. A 1964 plymouth fury a running driving 318 with title for 500 bucks. And I didn't buy it because it was a four door. I'd love to have that car now!

I had a four door (Mercury Montego) when I was a teenager... Plenty of room in the back seat for "shenanigans" with my girlfriend.:thumbsup:

I think it's an American thing. Look at our Aussie friends. They LOVE their four door cars. Not everybody here hates them though. I like um.
Our biggest issue was that we did not have the market size to make many 2 doors as with mine it is a dart from the windscreen back that were brought in as CKD kits for assembly and only because GMH built a 2 door the year prior and had success with sales, then it took until 1972 for Ford to build another 2 door officially as they had brought some 1965 models in from Canada to test the market but had trouble selling them as our local roads destroyed the front ends within 12 months, our last 2 door was the one by GMH that was market to you guys as the Pontiac

There was a thing even as a kid in the 70s where a 4 door just wasnt desireable.

As a 54 year old kid in 2024, it's still true. Both my "old" Mopars are models that were pure, clean-slate 2 door designs - '71 Duster and '72 Challenger. Thankfully neither were ever offered in a 4 door.

I can roll with some Mopar wagons and 2 door post type cars are among my favorites (including Ford Fairmonts!) but come on, straight 4 door sedans are for grandmas or cops. Don't care how much they can be modified into some kind of killer machine, I'll never get past the extra door.

From my viewpoint, 4 doors have become more popular now because of the JDM/tuner influence. The majority of Subaru WRXs and Mitsu Evos are 4 doors. Then you get the imitators in Honda Civics or what have you. Naturally that's going to pollenate across to older American cars.

And yes, as we get further and further away from the apex of the muscle car era there are fewer affordable, clean 2 doors out there that 'kids' can turn into something cool for a reasonable investment. There a lot of high-level 4 door "sleeper" builds out there now but those projects are usually beyond the typical high school kid doing stuff in his driveway.

I will admit to driving a 4 door Ram though mostly because I had younger kids when I bought it but it will always look weird to me. It's essentially a station wagon with a small bed. Was never a fan of the modern Chargers either as associating "4 door" with the vaunted "Charger" nameplate seemed like sacrilege to me. Modern Challengers were based off the 4 door LX platform and as such will never look right to me either. Not enough front or rear overhang, rear quarters are too bulbous, doors are too tall, etc.

Turning a '73 Coronet into a 2 door

Extra doors equal extra weight
This was my thinking too in 1970 when I bought a 70 Swinger340/4-speed/3.55s, that tipped the scales at 3330 with me in it. Yeah it was a 2-door.

My previous, and First car had been a 57 Belaire 4-door hardtop, bought in 1969, and altho in pristine condition, it didn't survive long with me behind the wheel. I burned up the PowerGlide in no time.
It turns out that the A833 in the Swinger, also couldn't take me. During the time I owned that car, about 5 years, I rebuilt that trans twice.
I owned a lotta 2-doors until 1980, when my first baby was born. Then I owned mostly station wagons for a few years. My next 2-door came in year 1999, the year I put my Barracuda on the road, as a Second car. The wife still drove the kids around in the 4-door cars. But soon they were all graduated and had flown the nest. Altho my Hotrod was born with a fold-down rearseat, at 72 pounds, it wasn't in there much past my son's grad (2002), and I sold the entire 68 interior it just a few years later, in favor of a transplanted 69 FormulaS interior, and the rear seat is still in the rafters to this day. Eventually the 68 seats were swapped for lightweight, bolstered-seats from an RX-7, and then I moved the shifter about 7 inches back, a lil to the left, and raised up real high.I finally got control of the car, and the shifting, due to my azz staying put.
I've never missed the back seat. nor the original buckets. and so two extra doors would have been moot.
So, you might ask, what do I use the back seat for? Don't laugh but, I put a small low-sided box back there, to catch the keys which often vacate the very worn 68 ignition switch, on the one-two shift, whenever I floor it. I gotta tellya, the CenterForce Dual-Friction disc really bites. Eventually, I put the keys on a tether, cuz they didn't always land where the box was, and crawling around in the back, hunting for them, got to be an unseemly sight, as myazz got to being old, lol.

I have a 4-door BMW 740i, but just so I can haul my older parents around in comfort and ease of egress for them. I've always owned 2-doors my whole life. Now I've had some 4-door dually pickups, but that's not a car. For me the #1 reason I like 2-doors is that they have longer doors, and never having kids I never needed to worry about anyone getting in the back.

Tom

A friend of mine grew up in Europe and he doesn't get the whole two doors are favored over four doors in US collector car market. To him it doesn't make any sense. So its like well go spend less on a 4 door classic you like who cares.

Most cars didn't have bucket seats until around 1964.
Then only in two door cars.
4 doors as someone else posted were old man cars. It's a generational thing .

-
Back