Why Are Edelbrock Cams Unpopular

-

NEWATTHIS

Reaction score
Hi Newatthis Here, I Just Wanted To Fire Out A General Information Question About Edelbrock Camshafts. Edelbrock Makes Great Speed Parts For Mopar And Brand X Engines, But There Camshafts Have Never Been To Popular, And I Dont Know Why That Is. I Have Never Owned One In My Life, Nor Has My Brothers Or Friends. When I Read On This Wesite About Camshafts And Upgrades, Everyone Elses Camshaft Is Mentioned Except The Eddy. When Rebuilding My 318 I Used A Comp Cam, The Eddy Never Crossed My Mind. So What Is Wrong With The Eddy Camshafts,why Are They Unpopular, Iam Just Wondering Why That Is Thanks Newatthis

I used a Performer RPM cam in a 400 big block. It ran well. They just arent the most advanced cams out and Edelbrock doesnt seem to really push them.

Ever notice how their lift, duration and lobe center lines are the same for Chevy, Ford and Mopar small blocks? Yet each engine has different strokes, port volumes and lifter diameters? The biggest volume of aftermarket speed parts are for the small Chevy, so that's what is typically used as the test bed for development. It's not that the Edelbrock cams are particularly bad, it's just that you can get a better performing part if you select one that is designed for a Mopar application.

I think its just the fact that when we think about cams, only the big name companies come to mind..Edelbrock is best known for their intakes and heads,i'd never think about using one of their carbs either..

Slow ramps and narrow lobe centers.

Kind of contrary to what a street based mopar likes.

I had an opportunity to use one and after thinking about it and speaking with some folks, I passed. They run good, but, from the info I received, because of the narrow LC, are pretty dirty out the exhaust at idle.

When I first seen the "Power Package" I laughed a bit, but thought it a good isea. Like mentioned above, the cam specs are similar across the board. Slow ramp speed and not alot of lift for the head they have, which had me wondering why wouldn't you at least try and take advantage of the heads air flow capabiltys?

I thought I'd see a stouter cam. Fatser ramp rates and higher lifts.

There cams are not bad cams, theres just so much better out there for the MoPars it's almost crazy. In general, you can not complain about having a whole package deal from one place with dyno results proving there worth.

Now if you build a short block just like they did and used there parts exactly, not for nothin, but a 417hp 340 is a nice set up.

I'd like to see the results of a 360 built and dyno'd with there parts because that is the engine of choice by many due to it's availibilty and cost.
I'd also like to see it for the 318 as well.

And there Performaer chart is torque only. That's sad if you ask me. Again, I'd like to see the HP curve as well for both the 318 & 360 for the performer line up.

Well, in package 5 he use's a Edelbrock cam. Though I like how it respons with a larger carb. I don't remeber what pistons he used in E-mailing back and forth with him, he just generalized 9.5-1 on the web page. IIRC, and don't bank on that, *I think* it was a set of Fedral-Mougal slugs for the 9.5-1 ratio.
The KB's would slip right in that build right nice with a .3 to .5 more compresion.
A few other tricks like zero gap rings and such would boot up the torque a bit right nice.

Rob, #5 was a magazine article built by Herb McCandles I think. If I remember right they were custom made pistons he had done before good 360 pistons were available. He ended up milling the top of the piston down I think. He later had Indy do some head work and swapped in a CompCams Magnum305

I remember that write up. (I might even have it, LOL) Herb did use a set of what was then custom pistons. I remember the article saying there common place slugs now. Back in the day, a 360 crank into a 340 block was the slick trick stroker for the small block.

A .030 over - 340 with a 360 crank is a 372.6 and @ .060 over, 378.

(I know you know that Adam, just a FYI for those who don't. That's all. ;) )

"Feeling light headed" was the aritcle

It used to be on Comp Cams or the edelbrock site, but it disappeared.

I have a copy of the article in a word format.

Here's the scoop on Edelbrock cams. They are the EXACT same cams that Summit sells. They are made by Camshaft Machine Co, which is the largest cam grinder in the US. They make OEM cams, too. You can get the same grind in an Edelbrock box, a Wolverine Blue Racer box or a Summit box. They all come from the same place. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. Why spend the extra money for the fancy Edelbrock box and cool looking red cam lube?

Compare the specs between the Edelbrock and the Summit grinds, you'll see they are the same.

They are OK cams, just not anything to write home about. Also, don't beleive the Edelbrock hype. You can make way more power with good drivability using a Comp, Lunati VooDoo or a custom cam.

You can't get the Performer RPM cam in a Summit grind. I couldn't find a summit grind with .488/.510

The regular performer, yes, not the higher lift/duration RPM grind.

You can't get the Performer RPM cam in a Summit grind. I couldn't find a summit grind with .488/.510

There used to be more choices,I dont know about that grind for sure but I remember a few others listed that are long gone,p.a.w. phased out a bunch of grinds in their s.s.i. line as well a few years back-that is back when comp and lunati ect. werent nearly as economical for cam and lifter packages.

THey don't list it on their website, but I'm sure you could special order it. Look at the specs for the SB Chevy Performer RPM vs. the Summit part # SUM-K1107. The grind is the same for a SB Mopar.

Thanks To All And Everyone For The Info On The Eddy Cams,iam Learning And Thats One Of The Reasons I Joined This Site. Thanks

-
Back