Why are Superbirds worth so much?

-
Sort of like the not so cute girl in high school, that is a knock out in her 30's...

The good looking one, not so hot anymore!

Haha I suppose it makes sense. It is a rare car that is pretty bad ***.

I wonder how many people regret getting rid of theirs?
:violent2:

All good responses. I'll add time to the equations and throw in ridiculous auctions.
Generally speaking unwanted, but there were a few that wanted them when they were new.

Good old supply and demand. There were about 1920 Superbirds and only 503 Daytonas produced. And some of those numbers were race cars which were destroyed. Some of the street cars were stripped of the nose piece and wing to sell as ordinary Chargers and Satellites. The site www.superbird.com has much more detail. But most of all they were cool cars with racing heritage.

It is the one car that first turned me on to MOPARS !!!! When I was a kid my dad told me about them and showed me a pic and I have been hooked ever since....=P~

I also think it has to do with the fact that they stand out like a sore thumb. I know a lot of people who couldn't tell one Mopar from another or even from a Furd or Chebby for that matter but yet they can identify a Superbird! They also relate a Superbird to a fast car even if they know nothing about cars.......

I saw a nice big poster on a Chebby mans office wall one day. It was a 70 Superbird parked on the salt flats and was stock except for the salt tires and flush wheel covers.

The caption underneath was "Worlds fastest stock car at 216 MPH". I'm betting it had the overdrive 4 speed and I'm pretty sure it held that record into the mid 80's. Makes ya wonder.8)

my 2 centavos...... To start with they were a pretty bad *** vehicle that initially was banned at daytona for kicking so much ***!! Beyond that they represent an american symbol.....regardless of what anyone says or thinks about their weirdness....they do stand out! Kinda like a covered wagon but with muscle....wherever they show up, they draw an instant crowd.
Back in the day, their sales were less than sluggesh, I remember seeing rows of them at a large CP dealer in Detroit ( Raynal Bros CP ) I also remember a time, when the entire 2 block outside show lot at RB was filled with HEMI's and in the center was the SOX & MARTIN Barracuda..... initially sales were great for hemi's Then the GAS CRUNCH clobbered the muscle cars and you could not give them away!! They are an ICONIC Automobile, and because there were so few made ( comparitively speaking) they are RARE. They were also COP magnets back in the day....didnt matter the color or the sound the wing and the nose got you pulled over when you weren't doing squat....which made them just a tad unpopular in the Detroit area....where street racing was a little more than a weekend passtime.
Whatever avg car you were racing would be allowed to leave the scene and the Bird & Daytona were parked in front of the flashing blues.
SO to sum it up for the same reason as a 55 300-c , a 68 green 440 charger with a vinyl top and countless other rare Chrysler products are popular eye catching icons...the bird & daytona are just in that club just like the red white & blue AMC cars, they were a step outside the box in their day.
I just cant figure out WHERE people park/store em? the damn things have got to be 22 feet long LOLOLOL

the birds & Daytonas were fast cars on the street, hard not to be a lil bit fast with the stock motors being Hemi's 440's and 440 six packs!! But in a straight out run, a regular Runner or Charger would eat them up...light to light or in the .25.... they had too much weight!! Those cars did not "Blossom" till around 100 mph like at Daytona...thats when the aerodyno's cleared the path and the horses had the chance to run free.... they were awesome to watch and they put "W's" on the board like the energizer bunny!
Check out the Richard Petty museum and read up on em....they really were an awesome vehicle..... a lil ugly & long for the street, but the street wasn't their dancefloor! They had a much different dance card and on thier floor nothing could touch em!
OK so it was 2.5 cents

19 feet long...

dcp_3177.jpg

66cuda is absolutely right, the thing started live to kick butt, and did until banned.

but I still love crackedbacks version!

Seriously people do seem to hide them. I have seen more pics of them rusting out in fields and barns then on the road! lol

A383Wing that is a pretty nice car! Classic with those rims.

Valueable to who??...i think they're one of the "goofiest" looking things mopar ever made,especially that "sissy bar"....

Yep, they stood out like a sore thumb, hard to park and drive (you could never be quite sure where the end of the beak was) and expensive.
This was before the gas prices and insurance went up.

Just like the Hemi Cuda converts...I could not afford one then and I can't afford one now.

I heard that the Plymouth dealer here in my area couldn't sell them. So they took the wing and front end off and converted them into '70 Roadrunners.

A veterinarian near me keeps his Daytona in his garage, bought it new out of college. Never drives/drove it but did get him to enter it in our clubs car show last August. Said he hadn't had it out in over 20 yrs. Neat car.

how may have you seen in real life..... I have seen a few at carlisle....and a few in binghamton ny a few years ago.....

how may have you seen in real life..... I have seen a few at carlisle....and a few in binghamton ny a few years ago.....

Just in my area I have seen:
1 orange auto 440 4
1 orange 4 speed 440 4
1 blue auto 440
1 dark blue auto on the column 440
1 green one, not sure of motor/trans

There are also a few Daytonas:
1 red auto 440
1 orange auto hemi

It is one thing to see them, another to see them drive by you- but I have never been in one.
It has always been my #1 car to own, but just my luck everyone else wants one.

What ever won at Daytona on Sunday would sell in numbers on Monday.
Nascar and Richard Petty got those cars off the showroom floor. in the following years these cars had low trade in value because used car lots couldn't move them and didn't want them. Funny thing was just about every customer would walk around the thing and get a good look at it even though they wouldn't be caught dead in it. Used car salesmen compared it to the bearded lady or similar sideshow attraction and joked about charging people a quarter to look at it. So the aerodynamics were removed, damaged or not, to make a more appealing model.
I should answer your question. The curiosity remains. If you want something to take to a carshow or cruise-in that will draw maximum attention, thats the one.

-
Back