Why are Superbirds worth so much?

-
Theres One In Massachusettes Fully Documented When It Turned Back To A Rr In 73.
It Is Still In Rr Form.
Never Saw It ,heard A Lot About It.

I've only seen maybe 5 or 6 'tonas or 'birds. Back in high school there was a guy running around town in one, I believe it was B5 blue but don't quite remember. Personally I like the Daytona's over the 'Birds. They just look a little better in my opinion. Saw one of each go for almost $250,000 in B.J. I would love to have one, but I'd settle for just a wing and a nose to make my own. ;)

You can get kits for the wing and nose for like $2500 online somewhere.

Yeah there blue book low value is 100k.
Oh man that would be so cool to drive one. The guy I bought my first scamp was restoring a Roadrunner with a six pack.

A guy here in the Denver area boughrt a NEW Daytona Hemi back in 69, Still drives it to car shows. Quite a sight.

What ever won at Daytona on Sunday would sell in numbers on Monday.
Nascar and Richard Petty got those cars off the showroom floor. in the following years these cars had low trade in value because used car lots couldn't move them and didn't want them. Funny thing was just about every customer would walk around the thing and get a good look at it even though they wouldn't be caught dead in it. Used car salesmen compared it to the bearded lady or similar sideshow attraction and joked about charging people a quarter to look at it. So the aerodynamics were removed, damaged or not, to make a more appealing model.
I should answer your question. The curiosity remains. If you want something to take to a carshow or cruise-in that will draw maximum attention, thats the one.

Ok that answers my question.

I wonder if those converted superbirds to roadrunners would be worth more?
Any thoughts?

Now that is a good question.

how may have you seen in real life..... I have seen a few at carlisle....and a few in binghamton ny a few years ago.....

When I was a kid back in Soo Ont in the 80's. There was a guy named Art that had one with large Plymouth signs on each quarter and a snorkle hood scoop. We used to ride our bikes to go fishing past his place and stopped in as a couple early teen kids on bikes and he was happy to show us the car and tell us about it. We stopped in a couple times and then he started to restore it. I didn't see it for a few years and it came out looking 100% stock and beautiful. I don't know what happened to that car.

Well, I know there is two of them here where I live in Wisconsin. They are both mint. One Yellow, and one White. The White one is right down the road. I should try to take a picture of it.

There sure seems to be a lot of them considering there wasn't many made.

There aren't any that I know of around where I live but I go to Vegas a lot and I will get plenty of chances over the summer since I will go to car shows there.

Yeah myasylum get a pic of it they always look cool. Coolest boat of a car!

Well... it is Winter here though. The car won't be out for a couple months I'm sure. Maybe he'll leave his garage door open and I can sneak in a picture or something? :)

Oh, the guy also has a '78 Cordoba with collector plates. So he has a Superbird, and a '78 Cordoba with hub caps! Don't ask me???????:dontknow:

You want to see Daytona's & SuperBirds? Come to the woodward cruise, you will see more of them in one spot than anywhere else on earth!! Every year Mopar enthusiasts commandere a couple of acres along woodward and fill them up with the hottest, rarest, Mopars ever made! It is like walking thru a time warp fantasy!
I remember when they were being sold brand new for around 5k or in most cases less.... I wish I had bought everyone I ever saw!!! I could easily retire very comfortably!! 10 x 5k = 50k if they sell for 250k now that would be 2.5 million....I wish I had bought every one I ever saw!!! I wish my Uncle kept his 55 300 -c hemi car and willed it to me..... then I would have a badass luxury sport vehicle and 2.5 million to boot!!! Damn I like to day dream!!
IF you ever see one RUSTING in a field please let me know where....

You want to see Daytona's & SuperBirds? Come to the woodward cruise, you will see more of them in one spot than anywhere else on earth!!
Yet ANOTHER reason to kick myself in the lugnuts for moving from Michigan!! #-o

Fishy

trust me they keep the doors open & the lights on.... Woodward is only one day WELL ACTUALLY 3 weeks day & night.... but officially ONE day. Take ROAD TRIP

If I can get the attachment right, in the pic you can see the motley crew that I had the pleasure of cruising across the country this fall to the Talladega cup race. The two blue cars are from Pacific Northwest, the red daytona and the Neil Castle themed clone are from SoCal, and the Orange daytona is from New Zealand. None of them are mine but it was the chance of a lifetime to go on this trip.

The two blue cars from the northwest logged nearly 7500 miles in two weeks. The New Zealanders' car spent nearly 6 weeks in a container.

The picture is from Monument Valley, AZ.

Every five years the Winged Warriors club meets at Talledega for a reunion. I think there were something like 125 all in one place at one time. We got to take a lap on the track roughly 2 hours before the start of the race. That was way better than the race itself.

OK, so the pics are to big to post and I am not computer literate enough to resize them, anybody I can email them to and have them post for me??
Thanks, 12valve

They were rare cars then and even more rare now. They were so "far out" though that they didn`t sell. There`s a story here about a guy that owned a Pizza restaurant and bought three of them for delivering pizza.

Some local birds and the like:

DSC00410.JPG

DSC00503.JPG

DSC01074.JPG

DSC03209.JPG

DSC03190.JPG

DSC01134.JPG

Haha I remember that movie.

I went to some movie car museum before I was too little to remember it (Joe Dirt Superbird) might have been there. Somewhere in or near Chicago.

Your pictures made me cry!!! everytime I go to a boneyard and see once mighty vehicles in that condition...it literally brings a tear to my eye!!

For what its worth... We started by building the BEST & Baddest vehicles on the earth and I am pretty sure we will end up building the best there is and ever was!

Build it here, Buy it here, Keep America Strong, keep the jobs ONSHORE!!

8)

-
Back