Why so many cars ending up like this

-
I agree with all of your comments, but what is it worth? My guess is $1,000 could buy it. What do you guys think?

If you could buy all that for $1000, I'd absolutely go for it. Who cares if it's not all there or isn't bagged & tagged. Just find a cheap rusty donor car, put them side by side, and swap all the parts over (while restoring/refurbing as you go of course). It takes hardly any rust repair to add up to $1000, so starting with a rust-free body saves a lot of time and money.

Lost job no money that's where I am at.

My wife lost her job six months ago, and my project immediately stalled. She hasn't worked since, and Congress cut off long term unemployment insurance, so we are screwed. I'm selling parts that I thought I might use someday just to get my engine out of machine shop jail.

Tough times require tough decisions.

Because it takes 4 times the money and 4 times longer to do it right.
You have to be committed to take one down that far.

I agree with all of your comments, but what is it worth? My guess is $1,000 could buy it. What do you guys think?

That's kinda my thinking, if someone tore a car completely down and now for what ever reason cant put it back together, their not going to get a lot for the car.
I think at $1000 that would be a good buy, and like the other guys said, you know what the body looks like. And some of the works done.
But I think there are a limited number of us guys willing to take on someone else's blown apart project, and if you do this to a car, don't expect to get all your money back when you want out.
There are many other cars out there that can be had for $2500, that are running driving cars. Maybe have worse body than this one, but they can be driven and fixed up at the same time. Where this is a 1 -5 year project for somebody.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to buy this car. I only have a one car garage, and that's were my dart lives. If I bought a project like this one, my dart would have to live outside for the next 5 years, and that's not going to happen.

I am thinking about another old mopar for a daily driver, but it will be a running / driving car when I buy it, and I can fix it up a little at a time.

im going with money. itheres alot of cars for 2500 that have worse bodies liek other said. but also its a 6 car, and i had a rolling 67 coronet 2dr that i couldnt get 1200 for just cause it was a 6 car. and you could see the metal. stuff just isnt selling anymore, my biggest issue with my project is money, even with discounts and all teh time you get it stil isnt enough anymore. between saving money for 600 700 dollar engines or spending 1200 bucks on the lil hard to find **** and being gouged the hell out of, like grills and dash pads and gauge clusters and the like. but as all stated above, its all those things. which is why my truck stays in one piece as much as possible.

also the keeping up with the joneses speaks more to me than anything, i mean look around at this site and itll be all over. why a 340? why 600 horse on the street? for some reason many of you think the 340 is the best sb and i really dont see the appeal for a 340 over a 273, 318, or 360, many projects start with a 318 sitting a corner and then the 318 for some reason is just seen as not worth it or a pansy engine i guess and then the next shot is how the guy blew all his cash on a fresh blue printed crate with this and that and the best of the best valve covers and carburator and the next thing is the moneys vanished and then it goes into a rms, or alterkation front end and then the car ends up like the duster.

i only see the appeal of a v8 over a 6 cyl or 4 cyl, theres no way you can get the v8 sound with a 6 or a 4. but as far as hp goes 300 or 350 horse will get you in just as much trouble on the street as 600, but i dont drag race at the strip like many here do.

not meaning to offend ppl you guys build some cool cars but just my .02 on wat i see here

I am guilty on all counts. 68 Cuda vert

Probably realized that investment was not worth it ... especially when you can get a decent ride for 10-12 thousand ... he is going to have that easy in body and cosmetic work... not including drivetrain...
That is one rason i do not disassemble mine to redo body... i will not settle for nothing but perfect ... and perfect body work is 10G +,,,,,, who cares if body has a few dents and blems ...

$5000 in paint
$3000 for interior
$2500 rear axle
$3000 trans& converter
$3000 wheels tires
$6500 engine
$plus the little items all equals one thing- new mustang

And more and more people I know are going that way

That's why I am afraid to take mine apart for paint. I don't want it to end up that way.

I'll help ya put it back together Mike.

those prices are way outa whack for a budget build 6k for interior and trans 3k for wheels and tires? wat tires you spending 3k on? 44s? wat wheels are you buying? 22s? wow.

Ok so here is my experience with my car. There are a lot of places were I could have walked away.

-bought the car "as is" off a guy.
-I had very little experience with V8s
-Engine died 2 weeks after (a chunk of one of the piston made a mess of things)
-I didn't even have my drivers licence but I really wanted that car.

2003-2005
- spent most of my money on an engine and trans rebuild
- spent some more on a bunch of little things

-Car ran for a few months, then I hit a steep driveway going way too fast. Car started to make a very bad sound. so It sat until I could get some time and money to work on it. (This was before I was a member here)

2006-2011
-School got harder so less time was spent on the car.
-Since it was sitting there I kept thinking about cool parts I could add "While im at it"
-A 1/4 window replacement turned into "take out all the interior"
-look at the rust on the floorboards "better take care of that"

2012-2014
-Car finally started to get put back together (got a lot of help from you guys and gals)
-New parts started to be installed
-Car is now running but still needs to a lot to be road worthy.

All in all, since 2003 I have driven my car on a daily driver bases for maybe 3-4 months. But damn when it was running it was fun as hell! Now I hope to have some more fun later on.

summery:
1) "While im at it" is very dangerous and can snowball if not calmly thought about.
2) Buying parts is the easiest part sometimes
3) "The guys on tv did it in one weekend" for me that means 2-3 weekends.
4) Set small goals! I remember being very overwhelmed to the point of not wanting to work on my car a few times. The key is to have small goals and to just get your *** out there and work on it. For me if I have a small breakfast, go outside and put my classic rock on. Then I can be out there all day.

After a big breakfast a nap sounds better then laying on cold dirt.

Ohh and all this while hearing my dad say "You could have bought a new car with all the money you have spent on that thing!"

Yeah but how many people have a classic car? And look at the stuff I have learned!

People would be crazy not to snap something like that up other than fixing up their rusty piece of crap. Maybe use their rusty piece of crap to fix that one.
Now to answer the question, it can be overwhelming to really add up the costs that a body shop would charge to paint the car, alone with what a shop would charge to do all of the mechanicals, interior, etc.
If you can't do most of the rebuild yourself, and you don't have a place and time to do it all, you're dead in the water.
It's easy to rip a car apart, but not easy to follow through with a total rebuild especially if you don't have the money in place.
I bet he ran out of money, or the new car changed things.
As said before, it's hard to drive an older car when the new ones are so much easier to live with, all you have to do is make the payments , maintain it, insure it, and put gas in it.
That's a hard act to follow!

I think the "I'd rather drive a classic" crowd was a lot bigger back before about 2003 when dang near everything was a 4 door with FWD and if it had 250hp it would probably win car of the year. Today there isnot only great new stuff, but you can spend under $15k on something a few years old and still have something pretty great.

I prefer to and have bought cars like this makes a great platform for what ever you want it to be with no hidden treasures saves tons of work and $$$ just have to be aware that most major things will have to be purchased or upgraded. Possible just lost interest - room to do the project - no plan - but yes most likely $$$$$$ and amount of work needed

-
Back