Why would the previous owner do this?

-
I have seen some lincoln lockers in jeeps, expecially ones that get trailered to the off-road park.. they do have a tendency to chew things up though... tires, axles, etc... I did it in my Willys wagon to the original rear end... I had extra carriers and 10-spline axles which were rare... after breaking an axle, I removed it....

IT WAS CHEAP... not really a good idea... but cheap!

I got looking into the NHRA rulebook. (looking for something else) and found a statement that welded spider gears are prohibited. Now how would they know on a casual test and tune type deal I don't know, but a big race it could be an issue. Then again at a big race most people follow the rules lol

I got looking into the NHRA rulebook. (looking for something else) and found a statement that welded spider gears are prohibited. Now how would they know on a casual test and tune type deal I don't know, but a big race it could be an issue. Then again at a big race most people follow the rules lol
because when it takes a corner, the tire on the outside breaks traction. that's really the only way to tell, unless you try and push it around a turn:banghead:

Welding the spiders is extremely popular in the drift scene, but anyone who is smart knows they are gonna bust and just spend the money on legitimate locker:study:. Welding the gears will obviously heat the gears up which will cause them to fatigue easier

because when it takes a corner, the tire on the outside breaks traction. that's really the only way to tell, unless you try and push it around

But a spool will do the same thing. And they are legal.

Oh NVRM I read your comment out of context. LOL Yea I dunno how they would tell either way.

Gotta stop this POSI!!! stuff people , everybody is sounding like bowtie boys "SUREGRIP" is the right term when talking mopar.

Lol. I also prefer a locker over a limited slip as well. But I also plan on driving my race car on the street.

Explain please ???

:happy1:

The smallest diameter of a 741 is EXACTLY the same as a 742 ... the STRONGEST , and a 489 , technically the weakest with the POS crush sleeve still installed ... the section of the pinion shaft were the outer pinion bearing rides and I have yet to see ANYONE say they broke a pinion there .

:happy1:

You really need an explanation? When you turn a corner, the rear axles have to turn at different speeds to keep from scrubbing the tires. With the spider gears welded together, they cannot turn different speeds, hence no differentiation. It is essentially a spool. A poor one at best. With stock axles, too. Either the welds always break loose, or an axle eventually breaks. You can imagine the mayhem if the welds break loose. they almost always do. Now, welding the side gears to the case like somebody else spoke of would work pretty good, I imagine especially if you used a good set of axles.

-
Back