Wide Rims (Homemade)

-

Grampas Toy

Reaction score
More pictures continued!!!
pic.
#1 good flat work surface that`s 15/10,000ths. (don`t have to be that close)
#2 ripples from rolling,must be smoothed.
#3 4" skinny(V.W.)
#4 check stock wheel before anything
#5 compare stock run-out to tacked wheel
#6 wifes 5th avenue
#7 choose backspace it`s still very tight fit
#8 4" V.W. skinny
#9 where the centers are welded pick the shortest of the 8 grind other 7 to match

Attachments

• DSCN0902.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 574
  • DSCN0903.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN0904.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 561
  • DSCN0905.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN0906.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCN0907.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 623
  • DSCN0908.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0909.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 518
  • DSCN0910.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 532
No offense but is that really safe to try and make your own rims?

No offense but is that really safe to try and make your own rims?
None taken,, made some back 1986 mounted n-50s tire shop mounted &balanced them,,had them on 75 dart 6cyl. 80m.p.h. no vibration.6 was straining 3.23 posi certified pipe welder 30yrs. welded everthing from the crack of dawn to a broken heart..pipefitters local 162 dayton.. No shells to buy back then..I would sugest to buy some..that`s what i`am gonna do if i mak e any more

None taken,, made some back 1986 mounted n-50s tire shop mounted &balanced them,,had them on 75 dart 6cyl. 80m.p.h. no vibration.6 was straining 3.23 posi certified pipe welder 30yrs. welded everthing from the crack of dawn to a broken heart..pipefitters local 162 dayton.. No shells to buy back then..I would sugest to buy some..that`s what i`am gonna do if i mak e any more

How much back space do you have on the rear wheels? What modifications that you made to your springs?

How much back space do you have on the rear wheels? What modifications that you made to your springs?
tubed (mini) Dart,,moved springs in,narrowed rear...The less back spacing,the more stress on bearing,and studs...

Don`t worry about the DOG...worry about the GUN!

Thats another great home made project for me! I have 9 of those 4" wide sbp rims.

tubed (mini) Dart,,moved springs in,narrowed rear...The less back spacing,the more stress on bearing,and studs...

Don`t worry about the DOG...worry about the GUN!

My brother is a welder and has been since Led Zeplin was hot, and I would drive on anything he put together.
Especially if he followed the guidlins of what I wanted.
I kinda thought a welder (Most welders) just kinda stuck metal together by melting both peices till they merged.
But they can be a very picky and precise breed.

Welders are like any other skilled trade- some guys take pride in their work some don't.

"Welders are like whores- all they want is more heat, rod, and money"
(and yes, I'm a welder, among other things...)

My brother is a welder and has been since Led Zeplin was hot, and I would drive on anything he put together.
Especially if he followed the guidlins of what I wanted.
I kinda thought a welder (Most welders) just kinda stuck metal together by melting both peices till they merged.
But they can be a very picky and precise breed.

Theres rod burners and then theres WELDERS....BIG difference!!

Welders are like any other skilled trade- some guys take pride in their work some don't.

One of my best friends lives in Mesa.
He's an off roader like I am, but seems to have no interest in our hobby.:wack:

I agree! (money part) most pipe welders have to take welding test ,,,for every job..and their all different,, Once you pass the pull test,you have a job,but every weld you make in field..then it has to pass x-ray..that`s why most pipe welders are pre-madonnas...It`s not unusal for one to have 30 or 40 certifications...

Yep my bro is a welder and has tickets up the wazoo,enough so that now he is an inspector. And makes big $$...100K + if he stays local but much much more in the field.

-
Back