Widowmaker and other Heart Problems Club

-
Went in for my 10 day checkup. Was informed no more arc welding or plasma cutters or gas powered chain saw or soldering guns.I was told this by a know it all RN. The doctor wasn't around or I would have rung his neck. Had they told me all this prior to putting this defibrillator in I would not have done it. Instead he had told me how much better I was going to feel. I don't feel any different except for the cut in my shoulder an the lump under my skin.

And now every time I get near a tachometer the needle starts jumping up and down like I'm turning 5500 RPM. LOL just kidding
Just caught up on your health reading through the last few post! Sorry for the problems, and praying for your improvements! Hang in there my friend!

Went in for my 10 day checkup. Was informed no more arc welding or plasma cutters or gas powered chain saw or soldering guns.I was told this by a know it all RN. The doctor wasn't around or I would have rung his neck. Had they told me all this prior to putting this defibrillator in I would not have done it. Instead he had told me how much better I was going to feel. I don't feel any different except for the cut in my shoulder an the lump under my skin.

And now every time I get near a tachometer the needle starts jumping up and down like I'm turning 5500 RPM and shifting gears. LOL just kidding

I would google this and see if there’s maybe something like a thin lead lined vest you could wear while welding. I wouldn’t let them get me that advice without researching it.

I would google this and see if there’s maybe something like a thin lead lined vest you could wear while welding. I wouldn’t let them get me that advice without researching it.
I have done some studying on this. Evidently the older mig welders were not as high frequency as the newer ones are today. And so they're saying that it would be safer to use the older migs because of this. And to stay away from The High Frequency mig welders. And you try to do your welding as far away from your body as you can. Also stay under 130 amps.
But they say TIG, Arc and the plasma cutters are definitely no nos.
I'm talking about if you have a defibrillator not if you have just the heart monitor. Cuz there are differences there.

Last edited:
One thing for sure, as we age we never seem to want to cry UNCLE!
About 1 1/2 years ago,I sold my 64 Savoy project had done all the body/paint, lots of the interior and glass, but I still had to change out the rear end, do the engine/trans, and front end and brakes. It had gotten really hard to getup and down, lots of hard stuff todo, so I sold it and actually made my $ for my labor which is unusual.

Then a sceduled trip to my cariologist some 4 years or so after my triple bypass, he tells me and I quote" Don't stop doing or you will be dead in a month!". I paraphrase! But dammit Vern, I just sold off a car I busted my *** on and that was going to be my final keeper!!!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :rofl:

I offer prayers for each of you experiencing this sorta thing. I'm sure I'm headed in this direction, as the stress in my life has increased a lot in the last few years and I'm almost 60 now. I'm surprised something hasn't happened already.

I have done some studying on this. Evidently the older mig welders were not as high frequency as the newer ones are today. And so they're saying that it would be safer to use the older migs because of this. And to stay away from The High Frequency mig welders. And you try to do your welding as far away from your body as you can. Also stay under 130 amps.
But they say TIG, Arc and the plasma cutters are definitely no nos.
I'm talking about if you have a defibrillator not if you have just the heart monitor. Cuz there are differences there.

Isn’t that because the new welders use inverters? That inverter tech is a game changer.

I offer prayers for each of you experiencing this sorta thing. I'm sure I'm headed in this direction, as the stress in my life has increased a lot in the last few years and I'm almost 60 now. I'm surprised something hasn't happened already.
I firmly believe God Almighty has spared me of death several times over the many decades I have lived. Maybe my name is in a Book of Life and it was not my time.
Perhaps God has a plan for me, but if so, He better hurry up maybe!??

Best advice I an give is have a GOOD family doctor, one that actually cares about YOU and your health and not how fast he can fill out the computer paperwork to get his friggin check!

I know I see God everyday just because my eyes are open to see the world He created and thus I can thank Him for all.

I had a widow maker in June, 2017. Just played hockey, starting the handshake line. Third person in I had a massive dizzy spell, felt my feet slipping out from under me, and everything went black. Lucky for me there were 2 doctors playing and a defibrillator on site.

When they brought me back I heard the sirens in the arena going and someone saying, "where's the ambulance?" I had no idea it was for me. One of the doctors asked if I was on any drugs. I said, "yes, beer"

Ended up sith a quintuple bypass with veins taken from my leg and a defibrillator. Felt great ever since. If you have chest discomfort or shortness of breath when you shouldn't have. Get your heart checked. Don't ignore these symptoms, you may not be as fortunate as I was.

-
Back