Widowmaker and other Heart Problems Club

-
Got a call from my cardiologist office I evidently have a large blood clot in my heart so they switched my pills to Koumadin and I am to give myself two shots a day of a different drug to dissolve the blood clot, for the next 7 days. Oh what fun I'm having in Peoria.

I’ve heard dark chocolate does the trick too
careful with how much you injest of the chocolate. I was munching 3 to 4 squares a day from the Trder Joe Belgium dark chocolate. thought the headaches and muscle tension in the neck were from work. found out the dark chcocolate has cadmium and lead in it and this causes those problems. Be careful of how much you eat of it!

Around 2 1/2 years ago now, since i had a replacement valve, put on my heart, they too, told me that i have an "enlarged heart" whatever that technically means in the medical world?
And other areas on my heart are thin, weak, and in the future if anything else goes wrong, around there, nothing can be done.
Man , really Sucks. All I can say is we will keep ALL Y'all in our Prayers and Please take it easy as possible, and please don't get stressed!

I guess I am REAL lucky. My Gramps had no heart problems. Dad had a strong heart but really bad hypertension. His aorta blew up, actually damaged once, then later it ruptured weeks later he was in the hospitol for evaluation. I had seen him that Sat evening (in Spokane) and he was gone Sun. morning. He was 71, I'm 74 now. Way way less blood pressure problems than he had, I should feel lucky.
My Mopar Brother Brian's Dad was a Transmission Tech his whole life. He went in, they wanted to do a stress test. He told them "Do you take a car with a bad transmission and run it down the highway at 120 miles an hour and see what happens" hell no!. They tried that on me twice I've refused it both times.

Got a call from my cardiologist office I evidently have a large blood clot in my heart so they switched my pills to Koumadin and I am to give myself two shots a day of a different drug to dissolve the blood clot, for the next 7 days. Oh what fun I'm having in Peoria'
Man Please take Care of YerSelf Sir! Fellow Texan!
After I had my triple bypass I have been on a blood thinner med. The surgery was about 5 years ago. Seems like I don't bruise as bad today but maybe I tend to be more careful or don't do as much ( for sure!).

All I know is I have lost so much muscle strength and so hard to get up off the floor. The cardiologist said in about 7% of people, Statin can cause that and I have been off it for 6 months and I see no change. He put me back on it in lower dose.

I told the doc about 6 month ago I was ready to get down to done 1 driver. He said don't stop doing or I will be DONE> So I piddle on. All I know is when I get to where I can not do, I am ready to meet my maker.

At 75 I don't consider myself THAT old. Old Mopars and quarter horses have been my perk all my life. All my horse buds died off years ago, most never saw even 60. My closest HS buds all died off 3 -10 years ago, a few earlier like the crop duster. Seems like my car buds have longer lives, somewhat.

I do know that when I was younger, a day was longer and a year was a lot longer than what they are at my present age! Now. A year can go by with the wink of an eye!

Got a call from my cardiologist office I evidently have a large blood clot in my heart so they switched my pills to Koumadin and I am to give myself two shots a day of a different drug to dissolve the blood clot, for the next 7 days. Oh what fun I'm having in Peoria.
Jada, Please just do what they say I Reckon. I know you called me up when I was going through my crap and you mentally backed me up and gave me some advice (and we talked for a while ) Brother, I still got your number, give me a call if you need to, I'll talk to you anytime Brother!

Did you go through the cardiac rehab exercise program. That was a great program
NO we live too farout to drive to Houston for such.

I rehabed fine on my own but after a couple years I beganto lose muscle strength. Doc said it could be Statin but I have been off them for 6 months and no better. Just old and wore out or whatever.

Wow...i had no idea guys were taking so many tests and drugs for heart disease. Had heart surgery in
06 and have just tried to stay active and look after myself better. Without a doubt, losing some weight
and changing my diet had the biggest effect on my health and how i feel. On the wrong side of 70 now
and i think doing things like mowing the lawn manually if you can will help to keep you healthy.
I have so many friends my age that are alarmed and give me stern warnings when they see me splitting
wood by hand or doing things "the hard way".

Most of us have healthy hearts. It’s cardiovascular disease which causes blockages within the cardio vascular system. Over the years, with the lifestyle we live and the fatty foods we eat we develop plaque within our arteries. That plaque eventually builds to the point where it blocks the blood flow to the heart. Some arteries when blocked can cause immediate death within minutes(widow maker). Even blockages in the smaller arteries can cause damage to the heart if intervention is not taken. Taking nitro or baby aspirin opens up the arteries allowing blood to flow enough to prevent damage to the heart and allow time to get the problem fixed.

Don’t ever over-look stress. I was going through a divorce, fighting for shared custody of my two boys, (she left her previous son at my house) my house was for sale, my shop was for sale, and I was paying 975.00 child support and 300.00 alimony.

Don’t ever over-look stress. I was going through a divorce, fighting for shared custody of my two boys, (she left her previous son at my house) my house was for sale, my shop was for sale, and I was paying 975.00 child support and 300.00 alimony.
That ain't enough to just give your heart trouble, that is enough to kill you dead!!

Cholestrol is very controversial. I read that consuming it is not the problem because it is digested and used by
your organs. Thought was that eating excessive simple carbs (sugar) are converted to cholestrol by your liver and saturates the blood causing problems?
Survey of test mules showed a high cholestrol diet increased cholestrol in the blood by 3%.The other half had high
sugar diets and their blood cholestrol was through the roof!
But can you believe these tests?
Sugar is a pure poison so watch it and watch out!

The first week in April i started to go on a diet, starting out at 230 pounds, and now down to 217, this morning, when i got on the scale.
My goal is to get down to an even 200, so i'm almost half way home.
I'm sure weight loss, is going to do my heart good, but honestly i got tired of looking at myself in the mirror, with a pot belly, and the flab, that goes along with it, on the sides of my body.
Been loosing a pound and a half, a week, by eating less, eating smarter, and my walking around my block 3 times during the day, with each walk being one mile.
And my pace for the walk is 18 minutes.
Bought one of those little "step meters" too, and my steps are in the 2,200, for the mile.
Don't know, where the first 13 pounds of weight has come off my body, but the next 17 better begin to get rid of the belly fat, or i am disappointed in the way one looses weight off the body.
Guess i will hafta keep on going down from 200, if i don't see the results that i want to.
When i got out of the Air Force in 1980, i put down 180 pounds, on the form when i got a Commiefornia, drivers license, when i was 29 years old, so at one time in my life, in the distant past, that was my weight.
Doubt i can weigh in again like that, at age 70.

Last edited:
I was good at losing weight till I had to give up my 2.5-4 mile walks. My knees just can’t handle it.

praying for ya... hang in there

My "Chevy" car bud, we graduated together and were life long friends, about 3 years go he had a widow maker and bypass, got over it fine, out in his shop one day and took a bad fall. Never got over it. Dead.

My knees fold up ever so often, even though I walk careful. Worse was when I toppled over and smacked an 8 inch corner post with my noggen.

Koumadin... my grandpa (passed 2018) took that for many years after having some blood clots in his legs in the early 2000s, died essentially from natural causes but also after having 3+ strokes within the last 5 years of his life. Someone in my family, I forget who, said there was newer evidence that blood thinners do little to prevent blood clots but they do make you bleed like crazy if you get a cut and bruises will be big and nasty. He loved to work outside doing gardening and yardwork and I remember how hard it was for him to control bleeding from minor cuts and when he'd get a bruise it would be much larger than normal. Might want to get a second opinion and/or do a little of your own research. My mom has various health problems that are getting worse as she ages (rheumatoid arthritis, bipolar, nerve problems in her back) and I keep telling her to be cautious about what treatments her doctors plan and drugs they prescribe. Sadly she usually doesn't do any research or get a second opinion until after she's in the hospital because something got serious or one of her doctors was a dipshit and misdiagnosed her.

Kind of on that note I hardly trust doctors who work for these giant medical hospital "corporations" and are essentially on the payroll of big pharma. I just got a new doctor after moving from CO to GA and he has a private practice here in this small town "old-school style" and he's really not big on prescribing medications as the primary treatment. His office isn't in some giant fancy hospital with cutting-edge technology and lots of quasi-competent staff like so many I saw back in CO. OK rant over lol... Hoping you recover from this issue @Jadaharabi

Don't worry about exercising to lose weight PR.Exercise will make you healthier for sure but weight loss is just math.
If you eat more calories than you need you will gain weight and if you eat fewer calories than you need you will lose weight.
Problem is everything is laced with sugar and we get a lot of calories from processed foods we think are healthy choices. A nice new boiled potatoe with a bit of salt and butter might be 80 or 90 calories. 3 cookies can be 4 or 500 hundred calories. And when i work hard or exercise a lot i have a huge appetite and eat a lot more!

Well my base line for irs 1.1. Went in friday and am now 1.5. I go back Tuesday to see if change. Still taking 2 shots a day of Enaxaparin Sodium. Talk about hurt, brusing and pain this shot has it all. Still taking 500 mg of rat poison every other day and then 750 on the opposite days.
Having fun in Peoria.

Well my base line for irs 1.1. Went in friday and am now 1.5. I go back Tuesday to see if change. Still taking 2 shots a day of Enaxaparin Sodium. Talk about hurt, brusing and pain this shot has it all. Still taking 500 mg of rat poison every other day and then 750 on the opposite days.
Having fun in Peoria.
Not sure what all that is, but friend I wish you the best and I will say a prayer for your health.

Like the guy said, usually our golden years are old sheetmetal overed in some rust.

Okay after spending a few days in the hospital because of shortness of breath for one thing, just like I had the symptoms of the Widowmaker blockage back in 2020 it winds up that I have a chest full of fluid. My doctor took me off of a Lasix and change it to a different kind of Lasik and then cancel that LASIK so in the meantime my area around my heart and lungs and in my lungs is filling up with fluid. So I spent a few days in the hospital peeing out the fluid and getting poked by the needle to draw blood every few hours and they had really good food though. But they didn't understand that they couldn't feed a lot of that stuff to a type 2 diabetic because it contained too many carbs. Well anyway I am now off the rat poison known as Coumadin. And he has me scheduled for a different drug. But I need to take a 5-day break from the Coumadin before starting the new drug. Oh and by the way the coumadin and that other crap dissolved the blood clot in my heart. But the doctors would not make that statement that the blood clot was gone. They said they don't see any evidence of one. Anyway I had the same sensation of not being able to breathe as when the Widowmaker was plugged up and my echo echogram showed that I'm still at 15% on the ejection fraction. Anyway I'm home and I do feel better and I can breathe again and I am peeing a lot. Things just keep getting better.
It was 110 today. I love August.

Last edited:
My mother in law always said that when you are young, your elders speak about those "golden years" you will have in the future. Then when that future becomes the present, you realize they lied.

-
Back