Widowmaker and other Heart Problems Club

-
One of the scary things about this whole heart attach deal was going through Cardiac Rehab. Our time was divided up into the physical and mental side of having and surviving one. Depression is something to watch out for after suffering one, and we were told almost everyone goes through at least one “false alarm” thinking they are having another one. 8-10 of us gathered around a table for a discussion and we were asked why did we live when many don’t, why did we go to the hospital when many don’t. I answers were amazing because the signs of a heart attach came in many forms and aren’t always the chest pain, pain down the arm, and being tired.

One of the scary things about this whole heart attach deal was going through Cardiac Rehab. Our time was divided up into the physical and mental side of having and surviving one. Depression is something to watch out for after suffering one, and we were told almost everyone goes through at least one “false alarm” thinking they are having another one. 8-10 of us gathered around a table for a discussion and we were asked why did we live when many don’t, why did we go to the hospital when many don’t. I answers were amazing because the signs of a heart attach came in many forms and aren’t always the chest pain, pain down the arm, and being tired.

I thought I had pneumonia. I had been short of breath all day and my nose was running nonstop and my throat was clogged up. I sat in a tub of hot water for hours to loosen up the crap in my throat and head. Then finally had a friend of mine take me to the hospital. They tried to say it was covid-19 and gave me the test and after four hours didn't have the results back and sent me up to the covid ward. I did not have covid I had a blocked Widowmaker. And my lungs were full of water.

The one thing that has really helped me after this was the 36 sessions of rehab.

Thru the whole thing I never was in pain. I was just short of breath.

Last edited:
I thought I had pneumonia. I had been short of breath all day and my nose was running nonstop and my throat was clogged up. I sat in a tub of hot water for hours to loosen up the crap in my throat and head. Then finally had a friend of mine take me to the hospital. They tried to say it was covid-19 and gave me the test and after four hours didn't have the results back and sent me up to the covid ward. I did not have covid I had a blocked Widowmaker. And my lungs were full of water.

It’s a sneaky little devil

To me the number one symptom is denial.

To me the number one symptom is denial.

Ohhh ya and I was FULL of it. After I was checked out at the hospital and test given I asked if I could return to the steel mill and take a shower. I was filthy, sweaty, and stinky, from 5 downday millwright jobs. Laying there in greasy fireproof pants and steel toe metaltarsel boots wasn’t appealing even to me. The nurse said no and I said get the doctor. He said I could leave if I signed myself out. I did and was picked up by a mill guard. I showered, changed into street clothes, drove myself to the hospital a 1/2 mile away, parked in the lot, and walked in. When I checked in my test results were in and the nurse said lay down, you aren’t going anywhere now. At least I looked and smelled better.

I guess I’m in the group, in 2016 Lower Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm found by chance before it poped. Dad just had his done and my grandfather died from same thing, hereditary they said. Huge branching stint down there but it has reduced in size last time it was checked. About 1hour surgery, went home the next day but took a month for my guts get back in sync. Granddad died at 80, dad had his done at 89 and mine at 66. Did stress test on a whim and found it, 5cm, Get checked, ya never know.
Might add, before and to this day never felt a thing, no warnings at all, they say alive one minute then dead the next.

Last edited:
I just want to say to each and every member who posted on this thread that I commend your courage and I thank each one of you for posting your stories! I feel you have inspired some of us to take this stuff very seriously. I have had minor symptoms and has been checked with stress test and other tests and have been told it was angina, I've been on statins for about a year now my mother had triple bypass when she was about 45 and I need to pay more attention to how I treat myself. Thank you again for your stories you may have saved someone's life.

Boy that is the truth. After my heart attack, every little chest pain of any kind sent me into orbit. One chest pain turned into a panic attack that was so severe they sent me to the hospital by ambulance. After a couple months of this I had a chest pain and said, screw this crap, I'm going to either live or die and started running stairs in the boiler house. Well, 20 minutes later I'm sweating and panting but alive. Never worried about those minor pains again. I'm not saying I'm ignoring anything but I'm not paranoid about every little twinge.

Saw a Doctor Friday, said my heart and lungs sound good... Need to get with cardiologist referral and hopefully some rehab. Been walking about 1.5-2 miles a day.

I did my cardiac rehab September 22 thru December 14 2020. I’m sure it did me some good. But I’m also sure it is where I got Covid. Life is like given me a stress test.

Exercise is very important for recovery and to stay healthy.I know many guys who use it as an excuse to avoid physical work.
I do a lot of things manually even though i have a riding lawn mower, snowblower and such.

I haven't had a heart attack yet, but had a bad case of Covid a month ago. I had double pneumonia and spent a week in the hospital. As a result I wonder if anything what the virus might have done to my heart. One thing it did do was kick my blood sugar to 366 when I was in the ER. I'd never had a problem and was shocked. They said its one of the many side effects of Covid. Since then its back to normal with no problems. I'm 64 and in good shape. I have my yearly physical Tuesday. I'll talk to the doctor after reading your experiences just to see if he has any concerns. Better safe than sorry. Thanks all for sharing.

Just a note, those echo grams are sketchy at best. My sister had a sore spot on her chin, went to all kinds of docs over a couple years, eventually a heart doc (she didn’t think it had anything to do with the heart) did an echo. Said all was fine, still hurt so my other sister talked to my dads heart doc and asked if the hurt sis could do a cath. Doc said ok and found 4 blocked (98%) arteries around the heart. Needless to say quadruple by-pass, doing ok the last four years but without that cath she would be dead.

Last edited:
Three years ago I was 69, no kid anymore. I had put up a bunch of farm fence, pounded steel posts, most of corner posts I used of neighbors old tractor. I was draggin. Then I started a colt in a small pen, a too small pen. He was gentle and lazy. i wore myself out pushing him around. Damn! Then that Sun. I was sitting in the chair in the house and broke out into a sweat. Felt like pure chit but NO pain in an arm or whatever. Then felt better. Same thing on Mon. Went to the family doc Tue and he did the EKG I guess you call it. He said he was calling an ambulance. I said we will drive. The doc got blessed out by the hospital doc because he did not call a helicopter.
Then 2 stinks that they did not like, then.....and a triple bypass. Healed up and said all is good (enough).
We live an hour from the hospital and therapy, so I just did my own. Plenty to keep me busy. Three years later I guess I do OK for my age. I went back to the cardiologist just once since. He listened to my heart and asked how I was doing. I know I should go back every 6 months. Family doc bitches at me for not.
I have a old friend my age down in Jacksonville, Fl. A Chevy guy. He had a blocked widow maker 1 1/2 ears ago. He got over it and continued his Chevy resto work. He was the type to pay for it all done and his *** got soft. Last month he tripped over something and had a bad fall, and never got over it and died. Just about all my old friends have died. A few left.

If you have had the unfortunate experience of a blocked Widowmaker artery this is your club. There are no discounts on parts just the joy of still being among the living.

April 29, 2020 90% blockage, 2 balloonings and 1 stint.
Type 2 diabetic since 1995 also.

Not counting the wife, I would leave behind a
73 Duster
76 Dart Sport
73 Dart Sport
Lots of Dodge Trucks.

Just had another ejection fraction test done last week. I'm down 3% more. I'm 12 to 17% now.

So far, I've been very blessed not to have any heart issues. I've had my fair share of other health problems, though. I'm glad all the rest of yall are still kickin.

Stints in 2010, 2011 and 2016. I see the cardiologist annually, just saw him last week, go in for a stress test tomorrow.

I just looked at this thread and realized atleast one person who posted is no longer with us.
It makes me sad .
Although I most likely will never many any or only a couple people on here.
I consider many my mopar friends and miss many who have passed.
I wish all my mopar brothers and sisters blessings and good health.
God Bless
Jim

Last edited:
An update for Me April 15 2022 I suffered my 4th Heart Attack, this time in the widow maker. They had to put 2 stints in it. I'm good now and go in once a month to get my INR checked.It's harder to recover when you are in your 70's instead of your 40's.

-
Back