Widowmaker and other Heart Problems Club

-
An update for Me April 15 2022 I suffered my 4th Heart Attack, this time in the widow maker. They had to put 2 stints in it. I'm good now and go in once a month to get my INR checked.It's harder to recover when you are in your 70's instead of your 40's.

Continue getting better

I guess I am REAL lucky. My Gramps had no heart problems. Dad had a strong heart but really bad hypertension. His aorta blew up, actually damaged once, then later it ruptured weeks later he was in the hospitol for evaluation. I had seen him that Sat evening (in Spokane) and he was gone Sun. morning. He was 71, I'm 74 now. Way way less blood pressure problems than he had, I should feel lucky.

An update for Me April 15 2022 I suffered my 4th Heart Attack, this time in the widow maker. They had to put 2 stints in it. I'm good now and go in once a month to get my INR checked.It's harder to recover when you are in your 70's instead of your 40's.
Stay healthy, keep getting check ups.
My closest friend, who is exactly 6 weeks older than I am had a heart attack on Dec 22, 2022, at 59 years old, he has recovered, had 2 stents done, but also had a mild stroke in 2014, He's doing well, but still smokes like a chimney and drinks heavily, can't change his mind, even though I've tried, as has his wife and kids, guess he feels invincible.

I'm very glad to see all of you all made it through this. Unfortunately I lost my Dad like this. He never saw his 55th birthday.
My Dad dropped Dead at 39, it's said it's hereditary, so far I have pulled 13 years on him, but have an enlarged heart. He thought stuff was heartburn. There was scars on his heart. I'm Really Glad ALL y'all Made it ( Rip Roy); Love all Y'all, Please don't take warning signs For granted!

All Yall Continue to Get Better!
Continue getting better
AMEN!

I guess I am REAL lucky. My Gramps had no heart problems. Dad had a strong heart but really bad hypertension. His aorta blew up, actually damaged once, then later it ruptured weeks later he was in the hospitol for evaluation. I had seen him that Sat evening (in Spokane) and he was gone Sun. morning. He was 71, I'm 74 now. Way way less blood pressure problems than he had, I should feel lucky.
Sorry Sir

Stay healthy, keep getting check ups.
My closest friend, who is exactly 6 weeks older than I am had a heart attack on Dec 22, 2022, at 59 years old, he has recovered, had 2 stents done, but also had a mild stroke in 2014, He's doing well, but still smokes like a chimney and drinks heavily, can't change his mind, even though I've tried, as has his wife and kids, guess he feels invincible.

Absolutely. I see my Cardiologist every 3 months and get my INR checked once a month. For those that don't know INR is the thickness of the blood. Normal is between 2.0 and 3.0. The higher the number the thinner the blood the longer it takes for your blood to clot and the the lower the number the thicker and a chance the blood can't flow properly thru the Stents.

Absolutely. I see my Cardiologist every 3 months and get my INR checked once a month. For those that don't know INR is the thickness of the blood. Normal is between 2.0 and 3.0. The higher the number the thinner the blood the longer it takes for your blood to clot and the the lower the number the thicker and a chance the blood can't flow properly thru the Stents.
After I had my triple bypass I have been on a blood thinner med. The surgery was about 5 years ago. Seems like I don't bruise as bad today but maybe I tend to be more careful or don't do as much ( for sure!).

All I know is I have lost so much muscle strength and so hard to get up off the floor. The cardiologist said in about 7% of people, Statin can cause that and I have been off it for 6 months and I see no change. He put me back on it in lower dose.

I told the doc about 6 month ago I was ready to get down to done 1 driver. He said don't stop doing or I will be DONE> So I piddle on. All I know is when I get to where I can not do, I am ready to meet my maker.

At 75 I don't consider myself THAT old. Old Mopars and quarter horses have been my perk all my life. All my horse buds died off years ago, most never saw even 60. My closest HS buds all died off 3 -10 years ago, a few earlier like the crop duster. Seems like my car buds have longer lives, somewhat.

I do know that when I was younger, a day was longer and a year was a lot longer than what they are at my present age! Now. A year can go by with the wink of an eye!

I'm going to add an additional comment to this posting, if i may.
How's everyone's blood pressure been?
Do you take readings?
Even with blood pressure pills that have been superscribed for me, that i take on a daily basis, i would consider my readings, so, so.
From good readings, to high, then to what would be considered stage one high.
On my own, i researched blood pressure, and found out about a natural, herbal, product called Hibiscus Flower.
Taking that pill, and probably taking these Western medicine blood pressure pills, my readings have been great.
Very pleased with the result.
Took the pills, for about a month, before they kicked in, and for me, at least, the results are quite positive.
Maybe it won't work for everyone, but what the hell, you don't have anything to loose.
You can do your own research on Hibiscus Flower, and see what you come up with, if you might be interested.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Oh man, hope your recovery goes well. Stay inside,this heat stresses the body.

I just had a stress rest this morning with Tri City Cardiology. Went well, still uncomfortable when the inject you for the Lexiscan test. Far better than the previous drugs they used. If they find a problem they’ll let me know immediately. If not I have a tele conference with the PA at the end of June.

My Dad dropped Dead at 39, it's said it's hereditary, so far I have pulled 13 years on him, but have an enlarged heart. He thought stuff was heartburn. There was scars on his heart. I'm Really Glad ALL y'all Made it ( Rip Roy); Love all Y'all, Please don't take warning signs For granted!
Around 2 1/2 years ago now, since i had a replacement valve, put on my heart, they too, told me that i have an "enlarged heart" whatever that technically means in the medical world?
And other areas on my heart are thin, weak, and in the future if anything else goes wrong, around there, nothing can be done.

I am fortunate enough so far that I am not on any medications, with the exception of an inhaler for asthma. My blood pressure has always been good and I am otherwise reasonably healthy, will be 60 at the end of the month.

Do you take readings?

Yep, I do. The last chart I ran for my electrocardiologist ..........

1684440117215.png

I'm on the watch list. I am 56. Been a low dose of BP med for 12 years now. 2 years ago, at my yearly, thw doc hears an irregular heartbeat. She can't believe I can't feel it. Sends me to a cardio doc. He said "Wow, you have a whole lot of skipped beats there, buddy". Did the contrast gated pictures laying in the donut. Heart strength and efficiency is 100%. However, my ascending aortic root is dilating. So I'm on a beta blocker to regulate my heart beat and see another heart doc yearly to track my aortic root. Once it hits a certain number in millimeters, major all day surgery will be scheduled. He estimates at about age 62.

After I had my triple bypass I have been on a blood thinner med. The surgery was about 5 years ago. Seems like I don't bruise as bad today but maybe I tend to be more careful or don't do as much ( for sure!).

All I know is I have lost so much muscle strength and so hard to get up off the floor. The cardiologist said in about 7% of people, Statin can cause that and I have been off it for 6 months and I see no change. He put me back on it in lower dose.

I told the doc about 6 month ago I was ready to get down to done 1 driver. He said don't stop doing or I will be DONE> So I piddle on. All I know is when I get to where I can not do, I am ready to meet my maker.

At 75 I don't consider myself THAT old. Old Mopars and quarter horses have been my perk all my life. All my horse buds died off years ago, most never saw even 60. My closest HS buds all died off 3 -10 years ago, a few earlier like the crop duster. Seems like my car buds have longer lives, somewhat.

I do know that when I was younger, a day was longer and a year was a lot longer than what they are at my present age! Now. A year can go by with the wink of an eye!

Have you tried mild weight exercises? They have programs aimed at lite weights. As oldsters we lose muscle mass every year to start with. My Dad did lady pushups (on knees chest to ground then pivot up) till he got Alzheimer’s. A can of soup arm curls etc.

I'm going to add an additional comment to this posting, if i may.
Do you take readings?
Even with blood pressure pills that have been superscribed for me, that i take on a daily basis, i would consider my readings, so, so.
From good readings, to high, then to what would be considered stage one high.
On my own, i researched blood pressure, and found out about a natural, herbal, product called Hibiscus Flower.
Taking that pill, and probably taking these Western medicine blood pressure pills, my readings have been great.
Very pleased with the result.
Took the pills, for about a month, before they kicked in, and for me, at least, the results are quite positive.
Maybe it won't work for everyone, but what the hell, you don't have anything to loose.
You can do your own research on Hibiscus Flower, and see what you come up with, if you might be interested.
Jim V.
hemi71x
I’ve heard dark chocolate does the trick too

I have never had any kind of high blood pressure. Zero. I have never smoked and if I drank 3 beers in a (summer) month thats a lot! Too cold in the winter! Never ate much junk or fried foods. Active all my life, tall and lean till I got older and a belly! But 5 years ago I had 3 arteries all clogged up. Triple bypass. My mother lived to about 95 and dad had a massive stroke 30 years ago at about age 78.

I take Statin, a blood, thinner and a half a blood pressure pill for????? what!???

About 6 months ago, they did the stress test and other stuff and passed. Heart bypass is good for 10 years if lucky they said.

Ya the Statins have made me do things differently because of the loss of strength . I had to give up on my Dart 5 yars ago because I just couldn't do it any more ( storage problems also moved it along ) At 74 I have decided to just do what I can and not frett about things I can't control.

Have you tried mild weight exercises? They have programs aimed at lite weights. As oldsters we lose muscle mass every year to start with. My Dad did lady pushups (on knees chest to ground then pivot up) till he got Alzheimer’s. A can of soup arm curls etc.
Actually I was at my cardiologist just a couple days ago. He said google stretching exercises. That is on my list of things to check out tomorrow.

Back when I was in my fifties I still did 60 sit ups every AM. then I got bucked of a colt BAD and cracked vertebrae in my back and neck. I never could ever do any again ever.

It is strange but some day I can be sitting in the recliner or sorta laying back it is, and I can lift my legs pretty good and other days I can hardly at all.

I told my wife I just need a much younger and very energetic wife. She said " go for it big boy!" :BangHead: :thumbsup: :poke: :poke:

I'm on the watch list. I am 56. Been a low dose of BP med for 12 years now. 2 years ago, at my yearly, thw doc hears an irregular heartbeat. She can't believe I can't feel it. Sends me to a cardio doc. He said "Wow, you have a whole lot of skipped beats there, buddy". Did the contrast gated pictures laying in the donut. Heart strength and efficiency is 100%. However, my ascending aortic root is dilating. So I'm on a beta blocker to regulate my heart beat and see another heart doc yearly to track my aortic root. Once it hits a certain number in millimeters, major all day surgery will be scheduled. He estimates at about age 62.

Here is my "amusing"????? story of my heart bypass surgery in brief.

About 5 years ago I knew something was wrong and off to the local quack (doc) we went. EKG and his asute observation is "your tryng to have a heart attack." So off we drive to the hospital in N edge of Houston an hour away.

They admit me, do some tests and say yep your getting 2-3 stinks in a few minute. It about 6 p.m. and they have to call in some help from supper. They knock me out sorta and there they are putting in the stints and I hear them talking about what they just had for SUPPER! I had no supper.

Next AM the surgeon comes by and said, we don't like how your arteries come out of your ticker and we will do a triple bypass BUT we have to wait at least 5 day for those blood thinners to go away we just gave you a few minute ago. Two days later hurricane Harvey hits South of Houston, and then comes up to Houston as a huge tropical deprssion. It starts raining, and does so for days until the gauge says 50 inches. Houston is flooding big time.
But my Hospital is on a hill, sort or a higher spot. Flood waters are couple hundred yards from hospital, nurses an not get home or docs. Wife is hour or so away and NO roads open that she an get there on. All under water. None. Some hospitals are being evacuated and military choppers are briging in patients day and night. It is a zoo. No power. No TV. BUT Generators. NO surgery on gen. unless emergency.

MY blood thinners will NOT go away. Till.... Finally. Then 23 days later I have my surgery and go home! :thumbsup:

Actually I was at my cardiologist just a couple days ago. He said google stretching exercises. That is on my list of things to check out tomorrow.

Back when I was in my fifties I still did 60 sit ups every AM. then I got bucked of a colt BAD and cracked vertebrae in my back and neck. I never could ever do any again ever.

It is strange but some day I can be sitting in the recliner or sorta laying back it is, and I can lift my legs pretty good and other days I can hardly at all.

I told my wife I just need a much younger and very energetic wife. She said " go for it big boy!" :BangHead: :thumbsup: :poke: :poke:

Did you go through the cardiac rehab exercise program. That was a great program

-
Back