will a 727 bolt to a 318?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
i might pick up a 318 with a 727 but im not even sure if they bolt together.

also do you need special mount for the 727 on an abody?

I do know if the 318 came with a 904 transmission the flex plate and torc Converter is different size this is what needs to be changed to a 727 flex plate, and I will let a tech jump in and let you know about the relocation of the 727 trans mount or mounting mount for a 727.

a small block 727 will fit a small block 318....

the trans mount and cross member are the same....get the trans mount for the year of the car

Yes the 727 comes in s/b and b/b versions. 904 and 727 converters dont interchange. i had to drill my flexplate for larger converter bolts. My engine was internal balanced when rebuilt. If yours isnt you may need a weighted converter where as mine was neurtal balance.

Driveshaft, kickdown linkage, shifter linkage maybe if column, are all different. As said earlier, flexplate and torque converter are different. Trans cooler lines maybe, but I remember going big block and not changing them, so they may be the same. Can you tell the difference between BB and SB 727?

Yes the 727 comes in s/b and b/b versions. 904 and 727 converters dont interchange. i had to drill my flexplate for larger converter bolts. My engine was internal balanced when rebuilt. If yours isnt you may need a weighted converter where as mine was neurtal balance.
I seen this when I looked at a 727 (for my RC) and the flex plate is different on the 904 to the 318/360 :cheers:

neutral balanced :computer: I did not even think about that :rock:

like said yes as long as it is a small block 727. the question is why would want to use a 727 ?

318 is internally balanced.

Be aware, 727 was also available behind slants. Early ones used a factory adaptor to mate up to a BB bell, case on later ones were direct fit to the slant motor and by the late 70s used a lock up torque converter.
That means there are three possible case to block patterns and only one has a bell that is made to bolt to the LA engines. Also, 318s are neutral balance, cast crank 340s and all 360s are not. If you get a converter balanced for one of those and use it behind your 318, you won't like the results, although I have heard of guys getting away with knocking the balance weights off.
727s are strong, but will cost you power and noticeable fuel economy over one of the V8 904 variants.

the question is why would want to use a 727 ?

The only reason I would use it would be for a big work truck :D
I can't afford to build to much HP to hurt a well built 727 and don't want to, They are to heavy and they use up way to much hp, 904 all the way to answer your question :drinkers:

well theres a guy who has a 318 for sale and he says it comes with a 727...i just wanted to make sure they even made 727s for a 318. Cuz all ive ever heard behind a 318 is a 904.

whats wrong with a 727 though? i thought those things were indestructible lol.

anyways, ill see what this guy has to say. I already have a 904, but its a /6 904 so that wouldnt help me any

could be a 904 and the guy doesn't know the difference
so he says it's a 727, or could be a 727

could be a 904 and the guy doesn't know the difference
so he says it's a 727, or could be a 727

So do YOU know how to tell? Probably the easiest way is to look at the passenger SIDE of the pan. The 727 has a huge "bump" in the side of the pan towards the front:

A 727 pan, the "bump" of course goes right side up on the pass. side of the car. IF the trans is in the car, you can easily see it by simply ducking your head and looking under

deeppan.jpg

far better:

129_0608_10_z+automatic_transmission+torqueflite_727.jpg

well theres a guy who has a 318 for sale and he says it comes with a 727...i just wanted to make sure they even made 727s for a 318. Cuz all ive ever heard behind a 318 is a 904.

whats wrong with a 727 though? i thought those things were indestructible lol.

anyways, ill see what this guy has to say. I already have a 904, but its a /6 904 so that wouldnt help me any

There is nothing "wrong" with a 727, they have a bigger operating power loss then a 904. I have one behind my 318 and it has worked well for the last 12 years. I picked up a 904 though, it was cheap and needed to be rebuilt. After it's all said and done I'm going back to the 4 speed, it's much more fun!!!

Yes, they put 727's behind 318's in trucks, vans and some of the large Chrysler products. The flex plate is different than a 904.

cool thanks guys, no clue what its out of, i have to talk to the guy first. This info should help me out!

another question!

i have a 5.2 magnum in my garage, ....will a 904 mount to that?? or do i have to use the 42-46re trannys??

Magnum block is essentially the same as an LA block. Some minor internal differences, but otherwise identical. I think they were all internally balanced if I'm not mistaken, maybe someone else can chime in if I'm wrong. If you want overdrive, the 42rh is the way to go.
Here's a breakdown.

727 - 3 speed, non lock up converter. 727 came in big block and small block form, 904 small block only.
904 - 3 speed non lock up

42rh/e - 4 speed 904, lock up
46rh/e - 4 speed 727, lock up

All use the same bolt pattern (excepting the BB 727 of course), just a weighted or non weighted torque converter (converters are, of course, different between the 727 and 904), depending on if the engine was internally balanced or not.

So basically, if you wanted to run a 904 behind your magnum, just make sure there aren't any weights on the torque converter, and bolt it up.

a 5.2 magnum is a 318 so any 318 trans will work as they are both internal balance
that is as long as you don''t try and use the factory fuel injection,

-
Back