will my valiant run 12's W/ Pics !

-

valiant360

Reaction score
[image]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3997/racecarfk0.th.jpg[/image]

I'm in the proccess of building this valiant. Its for the track only. Just for fun. I'm doing this on a tight budget.I'm easily gonna build this for under 3 grand. I really wanna run high 12's.
I havent had the heads done yet I'm thinking of a good 3 angle valve job and alittle cleaning up and maybe getting an airgap intake instead of the stocker. I know it probably needs more compression. But I hate to throw out a set of brand new pistons, this is low buck ya know.

Completly stripped interior. underdash heater stuff etc gone.

fuel cell and battery in trunk.

225/55/15 in back on 8 inch rims. Basically like 25 inches tall and about 9 inches wide. Should give me a bit more gear.

Custom made heavy leaf springs( I merged a set of B body springs with the A-body to make one stout spring)

stock rebuilt 1976 360 short block.

stock compression

summit headers
Factory spreadbore intake
stock 76' 360 heads

windage tray

melling cam
lift adv dur dur+.050 center
480/480 287/287 231/231 109

8 3/4 axle 3:91 suregrip

727 W/ shiftkit tci breakaway 2500 stall converter

get more tire in back, and bump the cr up. square deck the block to see how shallow they are in the hole.

I'm thinking I'm gonna get some kb107's, airgap intake, alittle bit of headwork and some slicks. I'm gonna run those radials alittle just to see how they do, I'm curious.

it takes a lot to get in the 12s. and a near stock 360 aint gonna cut it.. and its sure not gonna happen with a stock 60 intake....UNLESS ur gonna spray the **** outta it...then u might hit the 12.90s but thats gonna have to be a BIG *** shot... just my .02

well to be honest that car with that set up wont see the 12s any time soon unless you spray its nuts off. a good 175 shot would suffice and even then i don't think it will hook for **** you need to junk those leaf springs thats under it and get some ss springs and a caltrac set up

Dangit, you dont like my leaf springs! I was pround of those things. Very fine redneck inginuity. People these days think they have to order everything from summit or jegs. Cant make anything for themselves. How do you know they wont work better than the "SS" springs?! A leaf spring isnt exactly a complex suspension system. These springs look like 1/2 ton truck springs now!

P.s I'm not serious, Its all in good fun.

Find the old copies of High Performance Mopar where they build a Challenger that went 12's with a milder cam and 1.88 intake valves.I think their gear/tire combo was 3.55's with 235/60/15 drag radials.Do you have 6 cylinder torsion bars?Adjust them so you have 1" between the snubber on the lower control arm and frame.Use long shocks in the back...I think Caddy hearse or something weird like that is what I used.What carb are you running?Be sure to enlarge the fuel line;maybe an electric pump only.Carters worked fine for me.Hood scoop on steel hood sealed to carb be another plus.Pop rivets and epoxy.My 69 Dart ran 13.18's at 108 with a 3.23 gear and 6"x27" cheater slicks.Used a 4-speed,but only the 1st three gears.I'll say you can do this,just takes time and persistence.Good luck and post that 12 sec. ET slip when you get it.Bob

well to be honest that car with that set up wont see the 12s any time soon unless you spray its nuts off. a good 175 shot would suffice and even then i don't think it will hook for **** you need to junk those leaf springs thats under it and get some ss springs and a caltrac set up

Sorry,i must disagree...s.s. springs are over-rated, and make most cars sit too high,my duster has nothing more then an old set of xhd mopar springs and drag shocks it 60' in the high 1.40's,caltracs are nice though!!

yeah I have 6 cylinder torsion bars. I like yalls attitude abdywagn and 340srule!. I'm thinking it can be done quite easily with some good tuning and suspension tweeking. I'm gonna fab up some frame connectors also. I'm gonna bite the bullit and get some kb107's and slip those in. I might just leave that stock intake on there to prove some people wrong! Then I'll post that timeslip. how much do those caltracs cost?

yeah I have 6 cylinder torsion bars. I like yalls attitude abdywagn and 340srule!. I'm thinking it can be done quite easily with some good tuning and suspension tweeking. I'm gonna fab up some frame connectors also. I'm gonna bite the bullit and get some kb107's and slip those in. I might just leave that stock intake on there to prove some people wrong! Then I'll post that timeslip. how much do those caltracs cost?

I would go with the airgap just for the weight savings alone,and its a great intake too i use one on my stroker, it weights only like 21lbs,the stock one has got to be 45lbs..less weight the faster you go..:smile:

it takes a lot to get in the 12s.

its really not that hard... just need the right combo of parts... djv has a very mild 360 that is running 12.50's with a 3:23 gear...

from what i remember he has a stock bore 360, kb 107's stock small valve heads and a hemi grind cam... 280/474. has a nice converter with a 904 and a 3:23 8 1/4 rear.. yes he has a tunnle ram an eddy street ram but man that is a mild motor that in well into the 12's and its a full bodied car... maybe he will chime in ...

i run a stock rebuilt 360 - std bore -kb 107's stock heads - with the air injection holes tapped and plugged.

I run a mopar .474 lift 280 cam
stock dist w/ light weight spring
eddy street ram with 2- holley 390 carbs stock
spitfire shorty headers
synamic 3800 stall converter ( my mopar 175k was in there for a 12.80 @108 pass)
stock 904
8.25 rear with 3.23's
used to run a 26x9 slick ( 12.80 best ) now I run a 24.5x8 slick
leave at 2800-3000 shifting at 6000 gets me a 12.56@106 now

you dont have to throw alot of money at it but i'd say a better intake and a slick will get you way into the 12's... hell you have 3.91's... what would mine do wiith 3.91's? low 12's???

i havent had much of a problem... 16 mpg and 12.56's

they are stock except for a balance tube for t-rams and a lightweight spring kit.

DJVCUDA,those small slicks don't leave much contact area with the track...bet it gets a little hard to handle during late nite racing and dew on the track.
Look at what the stock class cars run with a stock cast iron intake.Yes,an aluminum would be lighter,but you have removed weight already from the nose.IF you ran across one at a swap meet,then buy it.
Can't think of any magical part that would give you an instant 1/2 ET reduction.A lot of attention to detail now would mean that when you step up to the next level of performance,you would not have to redo what you already did.
If you are not running a scoop,maybe you could fab a dual hose ram air to the radiator support or into the cowl.Just make sure to block off the interior vents incase if backfires or something.Good luck!Waitting to hear about that first 12 second time slip!Bob

1.74 60' times and it opens my glovebox door...

really i dont have a traction problem - atco is a pretty good track as far as traction goes... I dont make enuff power to blow the tires away..

alot...ALOT of people told me i'd never be able to hook with that small of a tire... well guess what... i have 25 runs under those tires and all have been in the mid 12's with consistant 1.7 60's and never had a traction problem.

-
Back