Will the '68 Dart 225 run again?

-
2 recommendations for you:

1. Multi-Mile Sumic GT-A (205 70r14)

http://www.multimiletires.com/tires/Detail.aspx?lineid=232&application=Performance

I have these on my car 9 months a year and have been pretty pleased with them. Yeah, they don't have quite the "flash" and brand recognition as the T/As, but I find them a very serviceable, decently grippy tire that does pretty well in the wet. Not too good in the snow, though.

That's why I also recommend these:

2. General Grabber AT2 (27 8.5 14)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

I have these on by back tires, and man I love 'em! These are so good in the snow, they just go right through. Plus, they're quiet and comfortable, too.

Thanks, we will look into these.

Good News: Our mechanic is willing to take on the task.

Very Bad News: The Dart is registered as a classic car, and the insurance will only allow people 25 and older to drive. :wack:

I guess the car is not taken into consideration (4 door Dart, with a bone stock 6 banger). I mean c'mon, I am a 17 year old kid with straight A's. :banghead:

Here in KY, it is the car owners choice to register a car as classic. Maybe check with the DMV in PA bout changing from classic car?

Here in KY, it is the car owners choice to register a car as classic. Maybe check with the DMV in PA bout changing from classic car?

Here in PA it is also the drivers choice, but my dad has had the car as a classic since the '80s I think, there are advantages to having it listed as such and I do not think he wants to switch it back. I was real excited about being able to drive the Dart...I will just stick to my Intrepid I guess...8 more years. :neutral:

Wow, never heard of that rule. I've got my '68 registered as Historic in MD, and use it as my daily driver.

As far as registering it one way or the other, I don't know what PA's rules are, but here in MD, it exempts me from inspections, emissions, and gives me a pretty good cut on insurance.

EDIT; another consideration to take into account is the police activity in your area. I don't necessarily suggest this, but if you don't have much pressure from the tough-by-the-books cops, you could probably ditch the Intrepid anyways and use the Dart. Again, back to my Dart, it's been my experience in the past few years of dd'ing old cars that unless you're driving like a maniac, they'll leave you alone.

Here in PA it is also the drivers choice, but my dad has had the car as a classic since the '80s I think, there are advantages to having it listed as such and I do not think he wants to switch it back. I was real excited about being able to drive the Dart...I will just stick to my Intrepid I guess...8 more years. :neutral:

I feel your pain......
Back in the early 80's when I was 23 I bought a 65 Corvette rag top. Back then insurance rates in NJ were really high especially for younger drivers. Anyway I find out that I can't get classic insurance until I'm 25 and couldn't afford regular insurance on that car. So then I thought I'd have my father own the car and pick up the classic insurance. That wouldn't work either, since my folks only had one car and the insurance company said that if the first car broke down they'd use the Vette as a daily driver! The car sat for a year and a half till I turned 25. It sucks working on a car and not being able to drive it afterward.

Patience grasshopper....lol!

Im not that good at these but I am 17 aswell, but try getting a new ballast resistor mine on my 76 went out and the car wouldn't start at all but I don't know if the older ones have them?? umm good luck though man!!

Looks like we have found the insurance we had before, and "youthful" drivers can drive classics! :cheers:

Papers going in soon

The car has not had radial tires, only polyester. What are the radial specs for tires to fit the 14X5.5 ralleys?

Are your original tires 14?
If so just google a tire size conversion caculator and convert bias to radial size.

The car has not had radial tires, only polyester. What are the radial specs for tires to fit the 14X5.5 ralleys?

Those conversion charts can be helpful...though from firsthand experience I can tell you 195/70r14 and 205/70r14 both fit on 14x5.5 wheels. Might be able to to do 215 width (I wouldn't see why not), but I don't know off the top of my head.

Glad to hear you can drive it! :)

Those conversion charts can be helpful...though from firsthand experience I can tell you 195/70r14 and 205/70r14 both fit on 14x5.5 wheels. Might be able to to do 215 width (I wouldn't see why not), but I don't know off the top of my head.

Glad to hear you can drive it! :)

Probably looking to go with these:

http://www.sears.com/guardsman-plus-p205-70r14-93s-bsw/p-09533210000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

because they are cheap.

Car is not able to be driven yet...need tires for inspection.

Update:

Air shocks still hold air after 10 years.

Primo 205/70r14 tires were put on the ralleys and ralleys were put back on the car.

Once the insurance card comes, the Dart goes to the garage!

I dig it! How's the interior on it? Makes me feel even worse that mine's out of commission right now... :(

I dig it! How's the interior on it? Makes me feel even worse that mine's out of commission right now... :(

Interior is original and not too bad. Rip on back part of drivers seat. May have some clean up work to do (mice). But not too shabby.

Whats up with your car?

blew up the axle. :( I was going to put a 8 3/4" in, but I don't want to cut my driveshaft and the axle took up any leftover money I would have had for parts. Long story short, I am buying a rebuilt 7 1/4 and selling the 8 3/4. But the new axle won't be here til late next week...

-
Back