will this cam fit it 318

-
sure...it will fit. But why so much cam for a 318??? that's some major lift

From the link you posted, a partial quote:

======================================================
"top-end horsepower is desired. These camshafts are designed to take advantage of the latest improvements in valve train components and the newest developments in camshaft design. Their aggressive lobe design produces better throttle response and top end horsepower than other cams with the same duration @ .050'' lift, while delivering increased engine vacuum. We do not recommend the use of stock valve train components with these camshafts due to the aggressive lobe designs."
=====================================================

This says to me this is not a mild street cam

The catalog from the Comp website:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jedp8jfcx8po5fc/COMP Cat 2011-IW.pdf

There is a hell of a lot of info in that catalog about heading down the correct path

That is a BIG BIG cam for a 318. Even if you built the rest of the motor to suit, the chances are it will want to peak somewhere past the point at which a hydraulic valvetrain tends to become unstable. It really suits more cubes, and plenty of compression. You'll be a heck of a lot happier if you pick something with no more than 224 degrees @ .050. And even thats pushing it with an otherwise stock motor.

why so much cam? lol because i want more housepower lol

Don't get pissed when I sy this, but you have no idea what your doing and you will end up with a much slower car by way of choosing parts like that.

That cam is design to take advantage of a well built engine. (AKA $$$$$$$$ spent) And well built heads, not stock 318 heads.

Don't get pissed when I sy this, but you have no idea what your doing and you will end up with a much slower car by way of choosing parts like that.
That cam is design to take advantage of a well built engine. And well built heads, not stock 318 heads.

i am getting my heads and intake ported. will that help anymore with that big of cam or just go with a .500lift? or even smaller? and thanks for the help dudes

How about an honest goal of what you want to achieve? Write it out and we'll all help set this up for you.

I miss the old MP catologs "Tips" section. Basic, honest, repeatable 1/4 mile combo/builds.

A completely stock 318 would more than likely out perform a 318 with that cam.

A big cam only will not make more horsepower... there is more to it than that. I did the big cam deal one time and it only took one time to understand the mistake I made. I have learned however a lot since those days.

There is a difference in just sounding good and performing good.

If you want real performance from your 318 need to jump into these two threads and absorb the info like a sponge.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=28974

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=19556

i want a 4bbl 318 that has like 350hp lol thats about it. and i want the sound of a big cam when it idels. i just want something that when i punch it at 30mph it will still burnout.

i have a stock 86 dodge 318 and want to put a nice cam in. Its comp cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam & Lifter Kit with Lift: .545''/.545'' Duration: 285°/297° RPM Range: 2500-6500 and want to know if i need to put nice valves in or will it work with stock valves??

here is the cam - http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/CL20-228-4/10002/-1

This cam in a stock 318 won't work well. The lift is more than likely too much on stock heads, which I think is usually around .500" at the max before you start running into problems with valve guide clearance. You'd definitely need a torque converter, I'm guessing at least 3.5 to 4k to get the car moving...it'll be really slow out of the hole otherwise, much slower than it would be with a stock cam and converter.

A camshaft should be part of a complete engine build and be one of the last components chosen for the engine.

You have a few options when picking a cam:
1. You can get the absolute biggest cam that you can cram into the engine. If you go this route, you'll definitely be disappointed. The biggest cam available is rarely going to be the best.
2. You can gather up information on your combo and post it here. Members will weigh in and give you some recommendations.
3. Same as above, but you contact a cam manufacturer and they'll make recommendations. Unless you're dead-set on a specific cam manufacturer, you can consult how ever many different manufacturers, but I'm guessing that the cam specs they'll suggest will be pretty close.

Let's get some more info on your complete package. Tell us what you can about the car (make, model, weight), engine (displacement, induction, exhaust), transmission (auto or manual, converter), rear gear, and what type of cam you want (flat or roller, solid or hydraulic).

With the limited info you've given us, I'd say that you'll want a much smaller cam than the one posted.

i want a 4bbl 318 that has like 350hp lol thats about it. and i want the sound of a big cam when it idels. i just want something that when i punch it at 30mph it will still burnout.

Big plans. I'd advise you go find a 360 and start from there.

Big plans. I'd advise you go find a 360 and start from there.
Great idea.

i just want something that when i punch it at 30mph it will still burnout.

That aint happening. Start with stroking a bigger engine. Go big block @ 500 cubes or better.

(Baby steps before running..........)

I used a comp 20-230-4 solid cam in my 030 over 318 with kb domed pistons for 11.3:1 compression. That cam has 236I, 242E duration @050 and 502, 511 lift. Much milder than the one you are looking at, and it still was soft on low end torque. The car has 4.30 gears, and really needs 4.86 or 5.13's. My point is, the 318 is more of a high rpm screamer than a torque monster, and I am moving up to a 408 for more torque. Torque is what puts the grin on your face.

I have the xe-268 and 360 heads { I know wrong heads , bad advice from a crooked mechanic } on my 318 and would be better off with less cam and stock heads but I'm going to get a 410-426 stroker instead , if you really want to go down the 318 road I'll gladly sell you my top end complete with a stealth intake and eddy 600 electric choke carb , hows cam ,lifters, 360 heads with correct springs for cam installed,intake and carb for $1500 sound I got gouged over 2 grand canadian for the whole package installed . Heck I'll even through in a pair of tires that will let you do a burn out at 30 miles an hour

Let's get some more info on your complete package. Tell us what you can about the car (make, model, weight), engine (displacement, induction, exhaust), transmission (auto or manual, converter), rear gear, and what type of cam you want (flat or roller, solid or hydraulic).

With the limited info you've given us, I'd say that you'll want a much smaller cam than the one posted.

the 318 is a 86 dodge 318 5.2L out of a 86 dodge 1500 van. idk the milege of the engine but i think its high looking how dirty the heads are. i bought a old school edelbrock streetmaster 4bbl for it and am looking to put a 750 holly carb on it(what do you think to much gas?) i bought long tube headers for it. the heads and intake are getting cleaned, ported, and polished(so not stock neads then? or how does that work. would that help with the big cam) the cam you know i was looking at a .545 so maybe a .454lift(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K20-212-2/) and for what type i dont know but really i dont care lol just want a "comp cams" one. the transmission thats on the engine is a 727 torqueflite automatic transmission. i want to put a shift kit(B&M maybe) or would that be stupid to do in a automatic? i think for exhaust im getting a duramax race exhaust. or maybe open headers lol.

the car is a 1967 plymouth valiant signet four door. lengh is 188.4inch, weidth is 71.1inch, and height is 54inch. stock with a 225slant six. nine drum brakes all around. tires 195/75/14 in the front and 245/60/14 in the rear. the front suspension is stock and the rear has mopar performance racing leaf springs(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120864/). the rearend/gears are stock and have no idea what they are either. i am going to be running an msd set up with a 6A Ignition box. i cant think oh anything else...
200452_205693702776794_100000084975404_830373_5737321_n.jpg

190150_204396139573217_100000084975404_820970_4135617_n.jpg

I have the xe-268 and 360 heads { I know wrong heads , bad advice from a crooked mechanic } on my 318 and would be better off with less cam and stock heads but I'm going to get a 410-426 stroker instead , if you really want to go down the 318 road I'll gladly sell you my top end complete with a stealth intake and eddy 600 electric choke carb , hows cam ,lifters, 360 heads with correct springs for cam installed,intake and carb for $1500 sound I got gouged over 2 grand canadian for the whole package installed . Heck I'll even through in a pair of tires that will let you do a burn out at 30 miles an hour

i wish i had 1500. lol

I would start looking around for a 360 bigtommy. You would be better off in the long run and have a good engine to start with if you decide to stroke it some day. See the 360 has a longer stroke crank than the 318 crank so that's automatically better. It makes more torque. I ditched a 273 for a 360 so I can tell you from experience. They have totally different personalities.

Take your time and look around to find one. You will be miles ahead towards the 30 MPH burnouts.

Marland is spot on. No replacement for displacement. However, the old 'swap in a 360' path has been well-trodden so I'm gonna press on with the 318 idea...
Okay, what you're looking for is a matched package. Firstly, that means that the cam, heads and intake must be matched to the compression ratio you run. A bigger cam needs more static compression, as the intake valve closes later in the cylinder stroke (as the piston is travelling back up the bore) so the dynamic (actual) compression will be reduced.

If you don't plan on swapping pistons or getting the heads cut then a short duration cam is by far your best bet. With a big cam your motor would work reasonably at higher rpm but with a huge loss of torque at lower rpms.

Also, the torque converter should be matched to the torque characteristics of the motor. If you are keeping the stock converter then once again a mild cam producing plenty of bottom end and mid-range will suit the combination far better.

As the gearing is an unknown, and you must assume they're quite long, once again torque is your friend.

I can't see any downside to fitting a shift kit though. I'd go right ahead and do that.

With all the above in mind, and your 'Comp Cams' requirement I'd go with the XE262. The duration is short enough to keep the dynamic compression up, it will build plenty of mid-range torque and still provides plenty of lift for a nicely ported set of 318 heads.

I absolutely wouldn't go bigger than a 600 carb with this set-up though.

I've been down the low compression, big cam route with the 318 in my anglia. I inherited the motor with TRW forged pistons about 70 thou 'down the hole', a Performer RPM intake mismatched to the intake port size, and a 650DP carb. The worst offender was the Performer RPM cam kit. All with the stock converter. It would pull past 6500 (and quickly, with 2500lbs weight and 4.11 gears) but I don't think it would have spun the tyres if I'd had them teflon-coated.

I'll sell this long block to you for $1000 shipped to a dock near you. (NOT the one in my signature line below, thats my poly) should be close or at the HP you are looking for 325+. 69 block Bored .030 and has the Mopar purple cam (the one put in 340 6 pack motor) p/n 2899206, .430I/.444E lift, 268I/276E duration (adjustable rockers) performer rpm intake 360 big valve heads (2.02/160 exhaust) milled so the compression is about 9.5 to 1. Heads #3769974. Throw some headers and a nice 600cfm carb on it and your ready to do burnouts,:supz: I spent 3x's that on my other 318 build with same HP. I have a video of it in my duster if interested.

I'll sell this long block to you for $1000 shipped to a dock near you. (NOT the one in my signature line below, thats my poly) should be close or at the HP you are looking for 325+. 69 block Bored .030 and has the Mopar purple cam (the one put in 340 6 pack motor) p/n 2899206, .430I/.444E lift, 268I/276E duration (adjustable rockers) performer rpm intake 360 big valve heads (2.02/160 exhaust) milled so the compression is about 9.5 to 1. Heads #3769974. Throw some headers and a nice 600cfm carb on it and your ready to do burnouts,:supz: I spent 3x's that on my other 318 build with same HP. I have a video of it in my duster if interested.

yea let me see that video

-
Back