Will this get me a prepped block?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I've been beating this subject in my head. Finally got a little money saved for machine work. Rough estimate is about $500 for just block. Basically what I want is a good foundation on my 440 build. 450-500hp estimated. Here is what I have on my list anything else I should do?

Clean and crack check block.
Bore and hone with torque plate
Press pistons to new rods
balance rotating assembly
Square deck

Heads
Clean and check
3 angle VJ
bronze guides

Don't forget line hone.

Definitely. It should be the first thing that gets done after cleaning & magnafluxing.

Also, the rods will need to be reconditioned before the new pistons go on.

All the parts have been bought, im speaking of machine work. Rods wont be getting reconditioned as they are new rods. Up in the air on the align bore, I will have it checked and done if something is out of wack.

500 bones might squeak by,if no align hone needed.I would expect a bit higher possibly,depending on the balancing labor.

Cool.I know you showed the rotating assembly.Just wanted to point it out,in case.

Yup, guy that did my dads motors. I thought he closed up and I was wrong even has a a torque plate for a 440. Not a race motor by any means but stouter then stock.

Can you find,who bought his equipment,Scamp Tramp? Just sayin.....

No he is still in business same guy same place. Just a few times ive called got DC on the phone. Finally got ahold of him here last week or so. He quoted me a good price for it all i expect to be in the $500-$600 range for price. Just wanted to make sure I asked for everything I should do to make it ready.

The line hone should just be done if the goal is performance beyond the factory bit. It doesn't need a sonic test, but again, assuming the goal is more than 1hp/inch, a modern shop would do it as part of the testing/checking.

All the parts have been bought, im speaking of machine work. Rods wont be getting reconditioned as they are new rods. Up in the air on the align bore, I will have it checked and done if something is out of wack.

If you decide to align hone then I would consider using studs for the mains.

Just a thought...
Mike

-
Back